1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Supreme Court delivers a death knell to those who oppose same-sex marriage.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Classic

Classic Member

You shouldn't fear gays being able to marry. Nothing in your life and in your immediate world would be turned upside down.

If you support the right to bear arms, the right for a parent deciding what is best for their child's education or any other conservative personal freedom talking point, at least admit hypocrisy of a system where this same voting block limits others by rationalizing moot points.

The gay marriage issue is about two adults making a consensual decision. Isn't that freedom?

2. Major

Major Member

What prevents different-sex homosexual buddies right now from pretending to be heterosexual and file jointly to save taxes? Or a single heterosexual men and women? :confused:

Amongst all the legal arguments against same sex marriage, this is somewhere near the absolute most ridiculous.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

^this

4. bongman

bongman Member

You guys are usually good with reading. My post starts off as "I am for allowing gays to get married".

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Hooray! The Supreme Court did nothing!

(I guess that is about as good as you can hope for out of this court.)

6. Major

Major Member

You also mentioned that these were loopholes that will be abused - despite the fact that the "loopholes" already exist. Given that there's no real concern with them being abused now by other people that can do so, it's silly to suggest that would be the case with legal gay marriage.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There are some pros and cons to this ruling; Gay marriage is really insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Pros: 20 more states to go before we can finally put this gay debate behind us. The question is, will they finally be happy? Can we finally move onto something else and be just as passionate about something that applies to more than a couple percentage of people?

Cons: We are cemented into the broken marriage system. Married into young emotional love to an irresponsible spouse that racked up 50k indebt w/out your knowledge and now you want a divorce? Well too bad, you're on the hook too.

I suppose I shouldn't say the marriage system is broke. There is just no divorcee protection w/out come off as a douche for wanting a prenup and other arrangements. These protections should automatically come with marriage.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If we are just listing practical legal problems with gay marriage, what about common law marriage. Will room mates need to sign something saying they are not in fact gay lovers in order to not leave themselves open to this? Will authentic gay couples have common law marriage protections?

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Tell that to Congress, multiple presidents, the 2004 elections.

10. Major

Major Member

It would help to understand how common law marriage works. Do non-gay roommates generally go around presenting themselves as married couples? Do current male/female roommates accidentally end up in common law marriages?

This stuff doesn't seem terribly complex.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't understand the legal system at all, but I'd imagine you'd want the Court to affirm the lower rulings rather than just deny certiorari (?). And I really don't see any states (legislatures? courts? voter initiatives?) proactively legalizing gay marriage.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I love that you **** your pants if black guys are polite to cops or smile regularly for the sake of cooperation and growth but feel that gay acceptance is some kind of media conspiracy.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Do you know how to make a point without rhetorical questions? If so, could you do that when you reply to me?

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Conspiracy . . .it is what it is . . . .. Mr LYCD

Rocket River

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It's like the person saying "I have black friends, so I'm not racist".

1 person likes this.
  16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

A great day for liberty! A great day for America! A great day for love!

[​IMG]

#36 mc mark, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  17. bongman

bongman Member

Sure, you are entitled to that opinion. Mine is.. "devils advocate".

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Seriously?

Greg Abbott: Texas gay marriage ban reduces out-of-wedlock births

And not to be outdone:

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2014/10/abbott-texas-gay-marriage-ban-reduces-out-of-wedlock-births/

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The lack of logic in understanding 'equal protection' by our State's republicans is either ridiculously stupid or just a false cover for their religious bias. Is pedophilia, polygamy or incest legal for anyone?