1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Supreme Court and the 2016 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Nook, Mar 17, 2016.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm certainly not a Sanders supporter but I don't think this is that big of an issue. I'm not surprised that Sanders wants someone more progressive or that he would plan to have his own nominee if he wins.
    Sanders isn't a Democrat. He only became one recently to run for President. This is why I find it odd that there is so much bellyaching among Sanders' supporters about the Democratic establishment not supporting him. Why should they when he hasn't been one of them, campaigned for them, raised money for them and etc.. in all the other years he's been in politics. As far as stabbing Obama in the back I think it's pretty clear that ideologically Sanders doesn't fully agree with Obama. Many of Sanders supporters certainly don't and many do consider that Obama has compromised away or even sold out a liberal agenda. Sanders probably doesn't go that far and certainly won't publicly say that but it is clear he's not in lock step. Further it's an open secret that Obama prefers Hillary Clinton to be his replacement.

All that said I still don't think this is a big issue. Clinton would probably want her own nominee if she wins. She's probably not going to say that in public though. I think at most this was a gaffe on the part of Sanders. It's true but not the most diplomatic thing to say.

#41 rocketsjudoka, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You mean a man who values principles over party identification??

THE HORRAH!

Maybe Bernie understand how devastating the current system of campaign financing is to our Republic and putting in place another centrist judge who has a tendency to vote in favor of campaign bribery would be a pretty significant blow to campaign finance reform which in theory is the single largest issue in American politics due to the nature of it having tangible affects in most policy decisions.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Garland isn't terribly progressive, he is moderate on many issues... Which is fine for those that lean left because he is likely to vote with left leaning Justices a majority of the time. I can see why Sanders doesn't like him politically. Garland supports a strong supporter of police state power and civil rights and poverty are not his "pet" crusades.

The timing of Sanders comments is poor. You need to keep it black and white at this point. Sanders however isn't "cleanly" a Democrat. He also isn't afraid to speak up when he doesn't agree with something the rank and file do.

The key is to get a Scalia appointment made by a Democrat and getting a replacement for Kennedy (79 years old) or Thomas (68 years old).

Republicans need to be careful. I wouldn't be stunned if Clinton wins and if there hasn't been a vote, asks for the right to name her own Justice... Which could be someone that isn't a moderate.

Sometimes Justice's drift left... Blackmon, Stevens and even Kennedy (to a point)... Not sure the Republican Party is terribly happy with their selection for the Chief Justice either.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

So, you're scared that the SCOTUS will "take away rights" if they get "too liberal"?

Like when they ended segregation, that really removed the rights of racists to discriminate.

Like when they allowed women the right to choose, that completely removed the rights of people to stick their noses into a woman's uterus.

In the last century, I can't think of an example where a SCOTUS decision took away rights. Can you? Or are you assuming that if the court gets more "liberal" than it is now that it will begin doing so?

LOL, great conservative talking points, but very short on facts.

You mean the most successful social program in our nation's history?

It is more likely that future generations will say that the ACA was a good first step towards single payer.

LOL! A complete disaster for everyone except the millions who now have coverage who didn't before, the people who can't be discriminated against by insurance companies, the young people who won't have to go uncovered while they are in college, and the tens of millions who have seen lower healthcare inflation rates than we have had since we started keeping track.

I had forgotten how divorced from reality you can be at times.

1 person likes this.
  5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Fixed that for you...

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Deck, I don't understand why you'd be upset. Republicans want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to not confirm Garland so long as there is a chance that a Republican wins the presidency, but then do a 12th hour confirmation in Obama's last month if a Democrat prevails. Obama might even go along, if Garland is really his guy and not a political pawn. But, insofar as he is a political pawn, Sanders is using him every bit as much as the Republicans. He'd ask Obama to defer the nomination to him, just like the Republicans are trying to force him to defer the nomination to them. Except Sanders would have a stronger base from which to be asking, since (a) they're in the same party, and (b) he'd actually be president-elect. And, it actually helps Garland get confirmed because it puts pressure on Republican Senators to hold hearings earlier for fear that Obama does pull the nomination in deference to the next Democratic president. I think it gives Obama's position more strength in a good-cop/bad-cop dynamic.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

One also wonders, however, the extent to which the gun lobby has penetrated Sanders' holier-than-all shield of independence.