1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Summertime "Random Trade Idea" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 5, 2008.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think it should be no problem for him to play 10-15 minutes per game. More importantly, he knows Adelman's system very well.

2. Seth

Seth Member

I guess my random trade (realistic) would be sending Bobby Jackson + Battier OR Alston+Head to Toronto for TJ Ford and Jason Kapono. Big Risk, but anyway his contract isn´t gigantic i will risk myself in this one.

Why Toronto will do it?

Toronto will need massive cap space if they want to sign all their free agents back, assuming they will want back at least Calderon, Jamario Moon and Delfino.

They will be able to sign long term contracts by adding expiring players in Head and Jackson worth 9 million dollars and they are either getting a Sub PG for Calderon or a Defensive Stopper in Battier.

Why the rockets will do it?

Ford/Alston
    Kapono
    T-Mac
    Scola
    Yao

or

Ford
    T-Mac/Kapono
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao

Both are scary starting lineups and Ford is a perfect player to be third Scorer and Kapono is a deadeye 3 point shooter, he shot .537 from the 3 in the playoffs.

I am not sure of what the teams is more able to let go, Battier or Alston so i have no preferences in this one. I would also agree to the trade if it is TJ-Ford for Bobby Jackson+Head straight up.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If the rockets can give them Battier, they will give us Calderon! Why do we want Ford?!

4. Seth

Seth Member

No offense to Battier, but i wouldn´t give Calderon for Battier.

Ford is a more logical fit as they will obviously aim for resigning Calderon.

5. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

What do the Rockets have in summer as trade assets?
    A bunch of scrubs + expiring contracts + 2.4 million trade exception.

I bet the Rockets wont get anything significant, like a 3rd scorer/PG, in trade this summer. In summer, GMs like to talk big about building their teams to compete. Weak teams want to go to playoffs next season. So, no GMs dare to take the expiring contracts and give you a good piece, except some over-paid players/scrubs. Expiring contracts will be more valuable around the trade deadline in February. That means the Rockets need to wait.

The Rockets do have LLE/MLE. So, the Rockets will have their focus on the FA market and may be able to pick up an useful piece this summer because of more supplies.

Then, another pick at 25th. Man, the Rockets dont need rookies no more.

I will only see slight improvememts possible this summer and the Rockets' luck will be around next February.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm as big a fan of TJ as anyone on this board, having followed him at Willowridge and then here at UT. But he is tiny, and will get badly abused by guys like Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Steve Nash and Deron Williams. He's also injury prone and might have to retire soon.

And I don't see Jason Kapono as anything more than a reserve.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

A more realistic trade would be to get Mike Miller from Memphis for Bobby Jackson and Luther Head (both expiring deals). Memphis is trying to clean house and Miller is owed a lot of money over the next few years. Having him or Shane come off the bench for us would be huge.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

If you're gonna do this you might as well ship Novak out too. No reason to have two slow white dudes on your team who can shoot lights out. lol

9. LoveRoxHateJazz

Yes thanks for posting my suggested trade Baqui. Even though it will never happen. Then again, it is Chris Wallace.

Artest for Battier/Francis is more likely if Artest chooses to walk because SAC would much rather have Battier than nothing. Just cut Francis if he doesn't have anything left.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Currently, the raptors desperately need a good wing defender. Otherwise, they have no where to go in the EC. In fact, the EC is the world of the wing players. They failed twice to pass the 1st round. Same as the rockets, they need to make some big moves.

Btw, if any team can offer Calderon more than MEL, the raptors have no way to keep him. And, Calderon himself doesn't want to stay there to be a backup pg. He wants a big market. I think his no.1 choice is the lakers. But, I don't think the lakers can offer more than the rockets do.

11. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Rodney Carney? He's not getting playing time in Philly, athletic wing, affordable..would become a decent rotation player if he works hard on his jumper.

12. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I don't think Luther Head is an expiring contract, he just got an extention but I still think we will be able to get Mike Miller this summer.

13. BigTex

BigTex Member

Jackson + Battier + Alston + Brooks/Head, pick
    For
    Baron Davis+Marco Belinelli
    :cool:

14. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Tracy McGrady to Portland

for

Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Steve Blake, Martell Webster =)

15. MacFu

MacFu Member

Trade Battier for Andrea Bargnani.

Bargnani can do a little of everything and his 3-pt range can stretch the defense for Yao and open up the lane for Tmac.

And then throw in everything except Yao and Tmac to get Ron Artest. Dude gives the toughness and intimidation that this team desperately need.

Rafer
    Tmac
    Artest
    Bargnani
    Yao

60 wins season and NBA Final.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Scola > Bargnani.

The raptors wasted their no.1 pick on Bargnani.

17. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Yao Ming for Bonzi Wells and Mike James.

HAAAA!

18. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

We need a PG.

Toronto has said they want to keep Calderon. So maybe they're willing to part with Ford. We need TJ Ford.

Also, Maggette would be great to have as well. He's really good at getting to the line as well. That may make life easier for McGrady leaving him to shot mid range jumpers all day.

Now you could possibly have a starting five that could all score on their own.

Yao
    Scola
    Maggette
    T-Mac
    Ford

What it would take to get a line-up like this? I have no idea. :D

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

They are not able to keep Calderon even though they want to.

All they can expect is to trade Calderon for some good players.

They could lose Calderon for nothing. I think some teams (e.g., Bobcats, Knicks) can offer Calderon more than MEL.

Rafer > Ford. If we couldn't get Calderon, I would prefer to keep Rafer.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Those of you looking to add another decent PG might want to look at the Grizzlies. They drafted Conley high so he is their future. And Crittenton looks entrenched in there too since he was a key piece in the Gasol trade. The other 2 PGs are Lowry and Navarro. Word is they were looking to move Lowry. But I think they might need to move Navarro as well because he looks to me like a player that wants PT and isn't going to get it as much with Conley/Crittenton.

So, keep an eye on Jaun Carlos Navarro. I think he is an RFA.

Navarro would be a nice addition on the Rockets I think.