1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The success of the Suns: *Indisputable Statistical Proof* of Morey's Incompetence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The Phoenix success can be attributed to the following.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ected-how-jeff-hornaceks-keeping-the-suns-hot

"We're a really young team," point guard Goran Dragic told CBSSports.com recently. "Nobody expects us to play fundamental basketball, sharing the ball all the time. The best thing is all the players have a great relationship with the coaching staff. We really believe in Jeff. Jeff is unbelievable, he played in this league for many years and was one of the best shooting guards. He knows how to play this game."

"I gotta give coach the credit," Gerald Green said after the game. "He never panicked, he never yelled at us. He kept with it. He told us to stick with the plan, just to keep at it, it's going to work."

Calm, cool, collected. Laid back.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I have to admit, I really like Morey, I think he is one of the best GM's ever. But, I will say that when he let Green go I ddin't understand and remember being reallly happy when we got him because you could tell he loved being in Houston and he had this skill set and potential but it had not been realized yet. Goran Dragic is easily Morey's biggest mistake and another decision that made me scratch my head. Losing Lowry was fine, but Dragic looked like a stud in the making, it was as plain as day and I thought we got rid of Lowry in order to save money and keep Dragon. Finally Morris being traded wasn't something I was too mad at but it was a head scratcher because he fit our system so well.

When you look at it, not one of these guys were being overpaid and we would have still been able to get Dwight with Goran because he doesn't make much more than Lin and is being called one of the top pg's in the league right now. Morey has made his mistakes but this is the same GM that has kept Houston winning while rebuilding, which is not easy, ask the Cavs, Suns, etc. etc.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is a great thread! I can't stop laughing at the OP and all the responses. The only "indisputable" thing I can see is the steadily rising level of angst on the GARM. Folks here are so wrapped up in dissecting every minute detail of every player and every game that they are missing out enjoying the best Rockets team in years. Seriously guys, is it too much to ask that we wait until the playoffs begin before engaging in histrionics? And could we please have NO more T-Mac threads?

4. arjun

arjun Member

guys like morris and green are so easily replaceable that its not even funny.

dragic would be nice...but having lin come off the books next yr and having the capability to sign a 3rd max contract would not be possible if we had dragic.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Morey is obsessed with acquiring a third Superstar. He is willing to trade away players that can help us now for easily tradeable assets. It's too early to know if Morey's plan will work. Morey really isn't in win now mode yet.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I remember this being funnier previously.

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Dragic is a good player, but he's not a superstar. 2015 is a big FA year. Back then we didn't have Harden and the plan was to pursue a marquee player in 2015 and Dragic's contract would hurt our cap flexibility. Also, even if we had kept Dragic, he wouldn't have had as much freedom as he has in Phoenix right now because of Harden.

Marcus Morris was a necessary sacrifice for Dwight. Not to mention the trade opened room for T-Jones and D-Mo to develop and both of them are showing serious promise now.

8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Lin had more potential and more marketable value back then and he still does.

Dragic is a better player than Lin right now and in a more suitable system, but he was not a player Rockets would build around. At the time, we were rebuilding, flexibility was more important than keeping a very good role player.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lets see if Pheonix is even in the playoffs at the end of the season. After the all star break things change...

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I don't know guys, Phoenix might make the Finals for all we know

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For the last time-

Gogi was NOT resigned because the contract they would have to match from Phoenix had a PLAYER OPTION on the final year of the contract.

Those contracts (as Morey himself stated) have a high risk for turning into UN-TRADE-ABLE contracts.

The whole point was the Rockets were in flux and rebuilding at the time. They needed to be as flexible as they could to make sure they could trade ANY player on their roster at any point in time to make room for a max contract type of player. Gogi's contract was at the time looking to be the more risky contract in case of injury of disappointment in play.

Obviously Dragic is playing beyond his contract, has seen a huge amount of support from the media, and Lin has been sort of up and down with little notoriety around the league outside of his fanbase. However you are totally miscalculating SITUATIONS leading to player success as well. Keep in mind that Lin plays with two superstars and another near all-star level offensive player in Parsons. Also there is some negative connotation around the league about his contract, but I really only think that is stemming from the backlash of the Asik situation and Lin is unlucky enough to get grouped with Asik at this point in time. If the two players switched teams right now, would there really be that much of a difference in overall productions??... slightly most likely, but still... Dragic wouldn't be doing what he is doing now in Phoenix that's for sure.

Morey chose to sign Lin over Dragic which now turned out to be the wrong player, but it doesn't mean it was the wrong move to make at the time and now. Lin is still giving you nearly the same production Dragic would have given the Rockets (with Harden & Howard taking up possessions) and his contract ends a year earlier.

I love Gogi, but its time people here stop using this as a case against Morey. He made the right move then, and there is no way to tell if Dragic would have even been the player he is today playing behind and much better player in Harden anyways. Lets just move on please folks.

12. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

OP failed to understand that Lin is the 4th option and bench player on this team and Dragic is their 1st.

How many plays are designed for Dragic to get open looks and how many plays are designed for Jeremy?

If we signed Dragic how do we get Dwight?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also Marcus Morris and Omri Casspi are nearly the exact same player from a skill set standpoint and physical standpoint(nearly the same size).

Main differences are-

-Casspi is on a much more favorable contract
    -Casspi plays faster
    -Morris shoots the three at a slightly higher clip
    -Morris plays 3 to 5 minutes more a game & gets 2 to 3 more FGA's per game than Omri

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/casspom01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/morrima03.html

That's about it.

I guess we will have to wait and see what Canaan turns out to be, but if he turns out to be anything, trading Morris for Casspi as a replacement for that role, on a more favorable contract, and getting a good prospect in Canaan as well with the 2nd rounder they got.... was a GREAT move by Morey.

14. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Oh lol it's this guy again

15. blunto

blunto Member

Make that two.

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Ok.

Dragic is good. No doubt, he had a legitimate argument for possibly making the All Star team. Morey knew that and tried to get him to come back. But he didn't sign him because he wanted more flexibility, while Dragic was looking for a longer contract, and they just weren't able to come to terms. Nothing wrong there.

Morris, while he has been better in Phoenix than he was in Houston, was also traded to give us more flexibility. Morey at that point was already trying to cut salary to create the space to sign a second star player. Which he did.

And Gerald Green? Is that for real?? We had Gerald Green in 2008. He was terrible for us. After we released him, he was a fringe NBA player at best, spending two seasons playing overseas, a long time in the NBA Development league, and has played for 4 other GMs who have also gotten rid of him before he landed in Phoenix. And, I am just going to assume, that those other GMs are probably better at evaluating NBA talent than you are.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ur posts is absolute shet without Graphs

my grade for your post F-

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This is a prime example of the saying" there are lies, damn lies, and statistics". You mentioned a lot of facts, but left out critical information. We had Gerald Green five years ago, when he sucked, and if we had him, we would have had to get rid of him and Morris both to get Dwight.

19. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Can we not lose to Phoenix on Wednesday and have this thread go for the rest of the season?

20. Nero

Nero Member

LOLZ

You guys gonna have to learn not to click on jcdenton threads..

The dude clearly has too much time on his hands between his special ed classes.