1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Story Behind Your Pet (s)?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LardLad, Feb 25, 2010.

1. LardLad

LardLad Member

How did you end up with your pet (s) and what is his/her/their name (s)?
    Sorry for the excessive ()s

2. Cbox

Cbox Member

My cat Joker we got from PetCo. He's named Joker because he was born on April 1st! :D

My dog we got I think when I was one years old. Named Barkley, but I'm not sure if he was named after the player or the character in Sesame Street. He died when I was in eight grade. One of the worst days of my life. :(

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

My beagle Shelby.....name just came to me one day. I had her for like 2-3 days before I was able to come up with a name. (it was a surprise gift to replace a bird of mine that I had for 8yrs that was mauled by my sis's dog when we roomed together).

My other dog, Pitbull-Beagle named Hunter....don't know why, just seemed to fit this bone head. Dumbest dog I've ever seen, but damn I love him. (one of my beagle's pupies).

4. updawg

updawg Member

Rhgodesian Ridgeback named Elie. Shes almost 11 now.

we had two cats that recently died and my wife is getting two new kittens today. Not sure what their names will be. one female, one male

Maybe this thread will give some me ideas

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

All black cat that showed up on our doorstep on Halloween. Named him Larry after Ashy Larry.

6. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

When I met Tara, she had two dalmations. Ramses and Chelsea. We kept one pup from Chelsea's last litter. We named him Ramses.

Later, we bought a miniature pinscher from Petland for Tara. After researching and finding out about their attitudes, we named her Sassy. My sister's minpin came over and nailed Sassy and Sassy had her first litter. We kept the runt and named her Shelby for Carrol Shelby.

Around the same time, we were given a Burman kitten. We named her Saleen for Steve Saleen.

Last summer we adopted a German Shepherd/Husky mix. Named her Athena for the Greek goddess of wisdom and war.

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Dog "Harp" was at the SPCA. Had been there for a long time and was in horrible shape. Took him some time time to get back to good health, but it's been worth it. Great dog. Husky/Australian Shepherd mix with blue eyes. In college, I had a dog named Guinness - just stuck with the theme.

[​IMG]

Cat "Cholo" was found alone on a running path at Memorial Park. He was too little to be by himself and we had to bottle feed him for a few weeks. Orange Tabby. The name just fits his personality.

[​IMG]

8. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

i have a 160lbs 1.2yr old Dogue de Bordeaux. His name is Beau (handsome in French)

i inherited a 6 month old Chihuahua in Nov. 2009. My friend took him over from his ex girlfriend. As my friend has a heavy Greek accent & poor english, he told me "His name Rigatooni". Could not live w/it so i renamed him "Tooney". Fast forward a few months later... i meet the ex girlfriend...she tells me the name of the dog was "Ratatouille"!

Anyway, the relationship between these 2 dogs is exactly like Master & Blaster from "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome"

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

the mexicans who lived across the street from me got an alaskan malamute puppy at about 3 months, tied her up and left her outside in the front for 2 months. never moved her, never played with here, didnt even take her in when it rained. I couldnt take it anymore, so i told them to give her to me. they did.

if they wanted an outside dog in houston, why would you get an alaskan mal? luckly, it was winter time when they got her, so she was ok outside. if it was summer, she would have been dead in a week.

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

My ex-wife's brother-in-law's sister had a litter of puppies... mix of Chau and something I can't remember. Grown up now they look more like golden labs. We were to get one but came home with two sisters. After a lot of thinking, I came up with the names Shania and Maria. Ironically, their personalities turned out to fit the celebrity names they were given... Shania is the sweet, down home, country girl while Maria is the diva who will bogart anyone else who is getting attention.

I also have two black cats who were both strays as kittens and two different times in my life. (One is now 12 yrs. old, other is 7). The oldest I named Mr. Pibb and thusly named the girl later on, (Dr.) Pepper.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I found my dog Wags on the side of the road back in 2005 in the middle of winter. She was a puppy still, and I kept her. She is a mix of border collie and lab. It was my first dog ever, so I had alot of learning to do. Getting a dog is probably one of the best things I've done in my life.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I found my husky-mix, Lois, in a parking lot ten years ago. I took her home while I tried to find a home for her and realized after a few days she wasn't going anywhere. Great dog for kids and anyone who wants a snuggle buddy. Horrible guard dog but great alarm.

[​IMG]

I bought my bandog, Bishop, a few years back. He's a great dog for an active person but turned out to be too unstable for me to have around strangers or even family/friends who don't know how to handle potentially aggressive dogs. He's the most loyal dog I've ever had and is a physical freak. Good with cats and other dogs provided they don't try to take his toys.

[​IMG]

I'll probably always have a rescue or two and at least one trained, tested personal protection dog once these dogs pass. Oh, I have a cat too.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Two cats, one dog (no cups).

Cosby - Siamese cat:
    [​IMG]
    Two months before moving out of our apartments, this beautiful cat came limping by the house,:( possibly mistreated by kids in the neighborhood. My wife fed him some milk and water, and he stayed around our apartment overnight. On another day, my wife finally saw that some kids were chasing him while still limping, and scolded them and called the cat to come to the apartment. After feeding it some real cat food and giving him water and bringing him in, we took him to the vet and the vet said he was about 13 years old and was very healthy, heavy, beautiful cat. We posted signs around the apartment complex and after those two months, no one claimed him. We kept feeding him and made a tough decision and brought him with us to the new house, got his vaccinations and neutered him, and made sure we tagged him well, since he liked to run really fast and roam the house. After he scratched one of my daughters (I forget if it was on the face or arm), we de-clawed only his front paws. And only Now that he's an old man and can't run that fast, he just walks around the house and is skinnier than before. We believe he is more than 20 years old.

How did we name him?
    We didn't have a name for him... so one time we were watching the Cosby Show and the cat walks in front of the TV and my daughter (then 5) asks: "What's his name?" and since we thought she meant the Comedian, we said "Cosby." My daughter kept calling the Siamese "Here, Cosby, Cosby...!" and so it stuck.

Camille - black cat:
    [​IMG]
    A person in my wife's school where she works said they had found a beautiful kitten and had given her shots and fed her for a month, but that she was so playful that she couldn't keep up with her; the cat's name was EDDIE. My wife told me about this and said our girls really wanted to keep her. She said that we couldn't keep any more pets in the house because at the time she was going to school and not working and I was the only one paying for Cosby's food and the rest of the stuff at home so, naturally, WE KEPT HER :)o why would she mention it to me, anyway?). At the beginning, all she wanted to do was play with Cosby but he being an older gentleman wouldn't "have her" for anything. She grew older and cried for Cosby to "do her" so we had to wait until she was old enough and we took her to get "spayed." She stopped crying. We've had her for about 4 years now, I think.

How did we name her Camille?
    Naturally, this is Bill Cosby's wife's name. ;)

Max - mixed Beagle with some Terrier (at 5 months on this photo):
    [​IMG]
    We got Max as a four-month-old puppy from my cousin. She tells the story of how when Max's Beagle mom, Penny, went to my aunt's house for pet sitting, and Penny came back pregnant. Somehow, no one knew she had "done" anything with any dog, and so Max's dad is still unknown. There was another puppy off that litter that looks nothing like Max, but like a Scottish Terrier, so there are suspects about who the father is. My cousin gave us Max and gave his brother to another person. Max is a running fool. He is FAST and is getting heavier and heavier every time pick him up or check him with the vet. We've had him for an entire year now (my cousin says his birthday is January 23rd, just recently) and has grown into a guard dog and a playful friend. He chews ANYTHING in the house when he doesn't have his toys, barks at strangers, and will occasionally fart... very awfully stinky. He also would like to hump anything that has four legs and a tail, even LARGE dogs (yes, I have pics so it DID happen). Sometimes when I'm on the floor cleaning or picking up something he smells my *ssh*l* but he retreats when I "give him" the smell he doesn't want ;) . We're still on a lookout for his father and until we find him, I'm not neutering him. We're thinking about calling Maury Povich and trying to get some tests to finally be able to say: "Max, that IS your father!" :grin:

#13 SwoLy-D, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Someone "gifted" my brother a Pitbull puppy.

He was all excited about the "street cred" he'd get from having a Pit.

My brother is 21 years old so he had no idea how to handle the responsibility.

I went ahead and got her spayed, vaccinated, $500 and 1 year later she's pretty much my kid.

15. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Nice, Rhgodesian Ridgeback. We had one, but died some years ago (old age). Great dog. Very missed.

We have a little "Toto" dog name Molly. We don't get along very well. I think we shared a previous life and I was a mean-ass master that must have beaten her every day. For 5 years I've been trying to get her to like me, trust me to no avail. I have to send her to the bedroom when the Rockets are on because she thinks I'm yelling at her. It's pretty frustrating because I do love dogs.

Now I'm sad. :(

16. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

We got our dog Lucy from some friends who had to move from a house to an apt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got our cat Jack as a stray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had my snake, George, Since about 1995. I was fascinated with snakes at the time. This isn't him, but its what he looks like:

[​IMG]

#16 zoork34, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

we found our dog starving to death on a freeway in Arkansas and it already had the name Daisy, so that is what we call her.

18. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Our family shih tzu, Jack, died at 9:30 last night. My mom found him stranded on a side road outside of our neighborhood and after no one responded to our "found dog" fliers, we decided to keep him. He was only with us for 6 of his 13 years but he was as loyal as a dog could possibly be. It's going to be tough to not have him waiting by the back door for us to come home...

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Sorry to hear that. At least you gave him a great last 6 years.