1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The State of the Rockets next season [long post]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Jul 27, 2013.

1. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

BEVERLEYYYY. MY OLD FRIEND.

Contributes to more wins than Parsons or Asik.

James Harden contributes the same amount as Dmo and Dwight combined!

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't mean to sound simplistic,but when u add a impactful,superstar caliber big like howard, everything goes up twofold. Not so much in win total,that's obvious,but just in impact. I remember people saying a charge is better than a blocked shot cuz the team gets the ball ball. Simple logic says if u drive the lane,you're more worried a getting ur shot blocked vs runing over a guy. That's not to say charges aren't good,but the impactful intimidation of a block is greater. With addition of howard,the entire scope of the rockets change.Howard is a ok post player,but teams will eye and double him 65% of the time. He will not only be a play finsher,but also a play creator which help the team a lot.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Conversely, it's a rather poor defense of the metric to ignore the gaping discontinuities in the list of player rankings just because that's "the only critique". Part of a good ranking system is that when it's applied to rank players, the ranking makes sense. It's not just picking out 2 guys. If you wanted to you could find hundreds of odd flutters in the system. IE:

Tristan Thompson produced more wins than Tony Parker
    Reggie Evans produced more wins than Russell Westbrook
    JJ Hickson produced more wins than Kobe Bryant
    PJ Tucker produced more wins than Ty Lawson
    Courtney Lee produced more wins than Chris Bosh
    Steve Novak produced more wins than Pau Gasol
    Steve Blake produced more wins than Josh Smith

As a more concrete long-term example, Marcus Camby was by FAR the Nuggets leader in WP from '06-'08, averaging over 15 'wins' a season. They should have been 15 wins worse when he left, right? Nah. They just brought Nene back from injury and won 4 more games despite the fact that Nene and Kenyon Martin combined for only 11 'wins'.

Of course you can go into WP's inflation of the importance of defensive rebounding and its favoritism to low-usage shooters, but I don't think a critique is invalid just because it focused on the results.

At any rate, I'm sorry OP, but I stopped reading your post as soon as you brought in wins produced. :(