1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Smoke is white!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by whag00, Apr 19, 2005.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

78. i guess they cardinals didn't want another long papal reign.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Why do they come up with a pope name?

3. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. Contributing Member

I am sure the new pope is a good man, otherwise they would not have picked him, but a VERY interesting fact about him is that as a child he was a member of Hitler Youth in Germany.

4. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

Thanks. That is what I was wondering.

I hope his first order of business is to get rid of the rule that doesn't allow anyone to re-marry in the catholic church! :mad:

5. rudager

rudager Member

He's conservative, so he won't be doing that.

And you'll probably have to brush up on your Latin if he gets his way.

6. Fatty FatBastard

The new pope is 78. This won't be a long tenure.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

was that a goldenpalace.com sign the crowd was holding up? if it was it was awesome..

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Damn, no "¡HOLA, KATY TEXAS, U.S.A.!" sign YET... :(

EDIT: I can't help thinking that his maximus pointiff reminds me of Herr Emperrorr Palpatine a'la Germany... :eek:

"You want this...?" [looks at Luke's Light Saber]

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Didn't he have a son that played Cliff on Cheers?;)

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The flag of Chile looks like Texas.

[​IMG]

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Der neue Papst kommt aus Bayern!

Bavaria is kind of like the Texas of Germany (except with better beer). I like it, even though I'm not Catholic.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wasn't there a fairly large bavarian community in the hill country?

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/ :eek: I can't get into this site... someone try... :(

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

VATICAN CITY (AP) -Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, the church's leading hard-liner, was elected the new pope Tuesday evening in the first conclave of the new millennium. He chose the name Pope Benedict XVI and called himself "a simple, humble worker."

What's the deal with the name change? Pope Joseph wouldn't cut it?

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

here's an interesting read...

#55 rockHEAD, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  16. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I was kind of hoping that the Pope would be from Latin America or Africa, because those regions would, IMO, benefit tremendously both economically and politically with a Pope from their area. But I think this is probably the right man at the right time. Ratzinger won't be Pope for all that long most likely (10 years at the most, I'd say), and he is a strong link to the previous Pope, John Paul II. I was also hoping for a more liberal Pope, but I think that a more conservative theologian is probably what the church and the world need right now anyways. I think this is a transition Pope who won't make a huge change theologically from John Paul II, and in five years or so when the next Pope is chosen, the Cardinals will elect someone more groundbreaking. Overall, I'm happy with Pope Benedict XVI and I hope his papacy is good for the Church.

17. TraJ

TraJ Member

Although I agree with you in a sense, the Pope plays a relatively significant role in the world -- for better or worse. I'm not Catholic, so it's not as important to me as it might be to people who are. But I do have an interest in this from the standpoint of the kind of impact he will have on the world in general -- not just the Catholic church.

18. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

It's also important to note that the Pope is a leader to over one billion people. Even if you aren't Catholic, you must in some way associate with people who are, and they will be affected by the Pope which will in turn have an effect on you in some way. Also, the Pope's importance politically cannot be discounted. Even if you discount his direct influence, he has a tremendous indirect influence by inspiring/leading Caholics around the world who participate in the political lives of their countries.

19. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I'm surprised that they chose such a conservative man to be Pope. Personally, I do not think that he is the right choice. However, I am not a Catholic. If the Catholic community is happy with this choice, then that is all that matters.

I would have love to see Francis Arinze emerge as the Pope. I really think that would have sent a strong progressive message, which is what the Catholic Church realy needs.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

When I saw the thread title, I just thought this was some joke thread about pot smoke! :D