1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The smart move would be to extend Yao now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 16, 2010.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. People are mad about the money we lost with him. If he is playing for minimum why are we going to let the lakers/celts/mia have him?

No doubt this sucks but the days of 17 million a year are over in yao future. At a minimum amount he will not be any more of a project than any other min player. The upside on yao if available is not in the same stratosphere as other min players.

I would say at this point unfortunately if it's the same place same thing ,then he's probably 80% likely done.... but that 20% chance is worth the min.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the last 5 seasons is holding for you on line 2.

3. MadRox

MadRox Member

And the biggest satire gonna happen when we let Yao go, and some team picks him up for the minimum. Yao comes back next year and then plays out his career relatively injury free at 80% efficiency. I'll be utterly sick to my stomach....Blame it on the curse of Houston Sports :(

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah and line 3-30 is every GM lining up to get yao for the league min.

If I didnt read your posts I might think you are happy that you get to be right about all this. I get that you are scorned, but we are talking about a min amount on par with mbenga and theo ratliff kind of money. You would rather have a healthy mbenga play the last 10 seconds and no other contribution a la brian cook vs. even the 1 % chance that we could get yao at some point for a stretch run down the line?

The conversation is not about the last 5 years or how much we lost. This is about going forward and his value in relation to other players and what can /can't be contributed.

1 person likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this is reason alone to sign him to the min.

Totally agree and call it spiteful, but if we can't have him no one can.. Sorry this is not about getting yao a championship this is about NOT getting LA/BOS/MIA a championship.

We are not the KC royals and this is not mlb. Fortunately we do not owe our balls to the yankees and red sox. We are not a farm team to pump up other teams. Let's keep him and maintain the dignity of a good ending.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly - very well said. MadMax, whatever the deal is with Yao's current contract is a sunk cost. The money is gone, the cap space is gone, the gamble did not work out.

But if you can make a gamble for the same reward while putting much less at stake (much lower salary), the smart move would be to do it.

In fact, you seem to be the one that is all emotional about it and against it because you cannot cope emotionally.

As IBTL says, there is a hint of "See, I'm happy I have been right about this all along" in your posts, sorry to say.

7. MadMax

Happy??? REALLY?? What about my posts leads you to believe I'm happy with any of this...or any direction the Rockets have taken? I'm sick to my stomach that we built our house on sinking sand....and that we committed to it for so long. I remember rooting for a franchise that, at one point, found itself in the NBA Finals on average of once every 4 seasons. I remember growing up with a franchise that didn't celebrate first round playoff victories like they were championships. That didn't laud the GM for stacking contracts, but for actually putting together a team capable of winning sh$t on the floor.

I have zero interest in my favorite hoops team continuing to commit any time, money or roster spots to a guy who is NEVER healthy. Who has shown us he can't stay healthy. Who is on the same career trajectory of early retirement that everyone else who ever played at his size was on. I don't know if you can begin to fathom how over all this I am. How ridiculous it all seems to me. All the talk about "if he's healthy" makes me want to vomit. It's not happening...it hasn't happened...it's not going to happen. He's 7'6" and over 300 lbs with multiple stress fractures in his foot. Everytime you open it up for surgery, you start displacing stress again. We bring him back on limited minutes, and he plays 5 flipping games before getting hurt again. The NBA game (82 per season) is not for these guys at this size. It's too much. He logged an assload of minutes here...and an assload for China...and he finally broke...right around the same time the other guys who played in the NBA at his size broke in their respective careers.

And don't come back with Yao-hater or crap like that. Yao is a great, great guy who is ridiculously easy to root for. None of this is his fault. None of it. You won't hear me call him a bust or say anything bad about him.

8. MadMax

i take exception to this, ATW. i haven't said any of that. there's an ASSLOAD of people here doing just that. all over it. calling him out. being jackasses. i haven't done that at all. i'm not remotely surprised he's hurt again, but that's only because i remember hearing Dr. First (surgeon they had on sportsradio610 yesterday) saying after the Laker injury that he'd NEVER be the same again. that he'd be on limited minutes likely for the rest of his career....that you couldn't compare him to others who had this surgery because the others weren't nearly as big as he is. those weren't my words..i didn't come up with those...that was from a surgeon who deals with sports injuries.

i don't appreciate being lumped in with all the crappy posts and NEW THREADS STARTED to say, "see, i told you so." because i'm not happy about it.

9. ILoveTheRockets

how the mighty have fallen... this makes me sad as a rockets fan.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Okay, I take it back, sorry.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Will never happen. Don't worry. IMO, Yao is done and should focus his energy on his health and his family.