1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The smart move would be to extend Yao now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hball

Hball Member

This team is not in win now mode we need to rebuild and open the door for younger players, keeping yao and these other veterans will only waste more time by taking away minutes and/or keeping us mediocre

Theres no point in extending yao unless you get melo or paul which would put you in win now mode but that's unlikely to happen.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, you have 15 spots, I'd rather take a gamble on something where I know the return could potentially be great, even if the likelihood is low than spending the spot on someone where I know that even in a best-case scenario the ceiling is low.

I know it sounds crazy to think like that right now, but hey, sometimes it is good to think outside the box :).

(Aside from that, it would be a smart business move by Les.)

Lock him up, but don't build around him, expect nothing, and if you get something, even better.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sort of like the Dampier contract that Dallas parleyed into Tyson Chandler? Hmm, intriguing. Maybe guarantee three million of the contract to give Yao the incentive to sign, then trade Yao plus $3 million to a team looking to dump salary next summer. Yao gets cut after the trade, gets a $3 million check for his trouble, goes back to China to play exhibition games and national games.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just don't know when to let go.

5. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

AGREEE !

6. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Even if you are giving Yao another chance, he isn't getting big money, and nothing guaranteed. The guy has barely played in the last few years. Value is determined by demand. The cap space in the NBA has largely gone away and I don't see other teams offering up big bucks to Yao. I would see some MLE deals thrown his way, I could easily see a team do a max MLE deal for years (5 years roughly 33-35 million) but can anyone really name a team that would spend more than that on Yao if he doesn't play again this season?

With his character, I doubt he is going to play rough, with the organization. I would see him taking whatever is offered to him, but reality is even if he isn't done the Rockets can no longer be a team that focuses on Yao and builds around him because he simply is not reliably on the court for the team.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Hell to the no. 5 to 4 million a year waisted? When you might be able to get him at the veterans minimum now and one year contract? NO! :mad:

8. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

Signing him for the minimum is disrespect. Plain and simple. Look at what he has done for the franchise, and we treat him so poorly? He deserves at least 6-7 mil. in his current state

9. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Wait for Yao to answer the question of whether he even wants to continue playing. If he does, then let his contract expire and sign him for a one-year contract at a low amount. Offer a team option at higher pay for future years. Hope that he can give quality play in limited minutes to prove himself again.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Forget you and the people who keep saying these dumb things. I am tired of this site and these same people already . I am out of here. You guys are really crazy to want to endure this crap again. :confused:

11. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Morey's a Moneyball guy. Unfortunately, the smart money is not on Yao Ming. :(

12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i kind of agree with this purposal. He can easily be a good back up for a young guy at center. Extending him would be a smart move, it will allow Alexander to continue to reap in the asian population. But it will also will show that team would hope for his return.... at this point I think this more about relationships, commitments and second chances than about money. If anything, Yao deserves some kind of second chances from the rockets...

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yao should hang it up for a year and try to go play ball in China. If he can handle a full season in China without any setbacks then he can try to make it back to the NBA.

14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

i agree with op but seriously, is there even a small chance of him being able to play again?????

15. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I think Yao has a lot of pride, and respect, for himself and the Rockets organization.
    If he can't really play anymore, he will hang it up.

16. Durrby

Durrby Contributing Member

I would actually look at going the other way with Yao now. If this fracture is going to cause him to miss most of the season I would talk to Yao and see if he would be alright with the Rockets trading him to a team looking to reduce payroll. If possible to a team that would buy him out so he could resign with the Rockets for the minimum this season. if not, the worse case would be the Rockets having to wait until free agency to sign him. Either way, we might end up getting some quality players for free.

Yao is all about winning and doing what's best for the team. So if Morey presented him with the facts and thoroughly explained the team's intentions I'm guessing he would go along with it. That might be any easy way to get some decent players back or send them to another team in a 3-way trade.

Just a thought.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, for the Spanish station. I'd like to here Yao speak Spanish.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm in full disagreement with this idea. The only thing I want is to not see Yao in a Rockets uni anymore so we don't have to worry about him.

He's 100% guaranteed to be done. Injuries and Yao are one the same. I wouldn't even pay him the vet minimum, it's a waste of cash. He's only good at press conferences now and nothing more.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Wait and see what the recovery time is for this most recent fracture... if it requires surgery or 6+ months of recovery then its pretty obvious Yao will most likely retire.

I doubt the last thing he wants to negotiate is another contract when he doesnt know if he will have to be in a wheelchair the rest of his life.... good grief, this thread is terrible.

20. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Time to move on. Unless he plays for free :grin: