1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Small Forward bet!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Sep 5, 2001.

1. GranvilleWaders

I am not sure but could't this affect the outcome of that "who will play starting SF" game where the losers changed their nicknames?

2. Yakeem ASunKing

I can't remember if I placed my bet on that one. I do remember wanting to bet on the small forward side. Well... uh... hehe... being it that the season has not started yet, I don't see any reason why those bets should be all locked up. After more consideration (which, uh, has nothing to do with MoT's injury) I think I would like to bet on the side of Griffin at power forward. Or, if I did not place a bet to begin with, I would like to keep it that way, as a non better
    peace.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

The bets off as far as I'm concerned. :)

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The bet has been closed. For reference, it was about off-season acquisitions:

Top Small Forward vs Front Line w/merely status quo SF.

The bet was about what our off-season priorities would be....(1) focus on improving depth at the lacking frontline positions and ignore the SF position, or (2) target a top SF whether via draft or trade. This injury actually illustrates the "we need a frontline player" side of the bet.

Once the trade for Rice went down, the bet was finalized. We indeed targeted a top SF. Now we are paying for it big time.

The front-line people expected one of our front-line players to get injured if not two....starting with Dream and Cato. The SF people ignore front-line depth problems over prefering prototype players at all positions like some NBA fantasy game that downplays depth needs....and figure front-line backups can be found easily.

I championed the front-line side of the bet, because going with 3 guards was a strength of ours, while the front line depth was clearly a big weakness (especially longterm). Since 3 guards is our strength, a prototype SF (while indeed helpful) is not needed as much as shoring up the front line against injuries and for the future. It is a matter of most important needs.

*sigh*

Here's to Rice being a much better PF mismatch than Walt in the 3 guard lineup, and to K9 showing all those Fizer lovers who the best short PF is in the league.

<b>For all the Crisco's out there, you wanted the SF to eliminate 3-guards. Well, now we are right back where we began. We must play 3 guards with a depleted front line!</b> Forget the Jahidi White can replace Mo' business....Rudy is not going to field two defensive players at a time too often. He'll backup Cato and play with Collier when K9 rests. White won't play much, if any, side by side with Cato....unless you expect Rudy to play Knick ball against zones.

#4 heypartner, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001