1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Skinny: Shane Battier scouting report

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MemphisX, Jun 29, 2006.

1. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Hello Rocket fans!

I first would like to say thank you to the entire Houston Rocket organization!

Now on to the scouting report:

First off, Shane Battier is a first class citizen and a great team player. You will love him in the community and he gives great interviews. However, as a basketball player your feeling will be mixed and mostly due to the above positives. Fans will find it hard to criticize him because he is such a good guy.

Positives: Shane is Mr. Intangibble. He will give you a little of everything. Some points, some boards, some defense, some 3's, some charges, and some big shots. He also is pretty reliable with his spot up 3 point shot. He will always give 100% and plays hurt. He will accept his role and perfect that role. He can post up smaller defenders at will.

Negatives: His defense is pure reputation. He can not defend top level NBA shooting guards. No way, no how. It is the reason we had James Posey and the reason we have Eddie Jones. His athleticism (what little he had) is declining at an alarming rate. His lack of lateral quickness allows quick SG/SFs to just drive right by him. He does get a lot of charges but that is usually drawn off the ball. He does not have the athleticism to defend tall SFs or PFs. He just can't bother their jump shot. He can not score much one on one and his best offense is in the post.

IF you are looking for Shane to be your defensive stopper then you are about 2-3 years too late. He is going to really anger some of you while others will fall in love with him. However, I have thought of him as a 20-25 minute off the bench hustle guy that was overmatched for the role he had in Memphis as 4th offensive option (albeit we do not have near the firepower a healthy T Mac brings to the table). He will make you guys a strong regular season team and will not hurt you in any area. He is a good addition but the possibilities that Rudy Gay would have provided were endless and not worth passing on for a glorified Adrian Griffin.

2. ymc

ymc Member

Thanks for your report. Do you think we are raped badly? :confused:

3. munco

munco Member

I hate you MemphisX.
    Okay, I'm being a poor sport.
    Congrats on ripping us off.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You b*stard.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, I was wondering when you would come out with this. Thanks.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sounds about right.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was looking for your post today and just figured out the X stans for ten, as in tennessee. I'm slow.

8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Do you dare to ruin the dream of some 10% people on this board. :mad: :p ;)

9. superden

superden Contributing Member

*nod*

10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

thanks for the info
    i know that already by watching Memphis getting killed by Dallas

11. HJackson

HJackson Member

Wow... That doesnt sound equal to Swift + Rudy Gay... I honestly thought Shane Battier is better than that... now i feel worse...

12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

MemphisX

Can you explain his remarkable +8.5 in the plus minus ratio?

Oh yeah.... welcome to the world of noshooting lazy players with your two new additions. I guess you already know that about Stro :p .

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How does that old saw go ...

Kiss me the next time you ???? me ;)

14. askball

askball Member

Adrian Griffin... :(

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i guess 48% shooting percentage and 40% from 3pt land has adrian griffin written all over it

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

"I think we should pre-emptively ban MemphisX from the BBS before the draft is over." -- An Anonymous Chatroom Member, 6-28-06

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks. Now I'll go jump off a bridge.

18. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

wow...this just gets worse and worse...i haven't been able to do much since i was traumatized by this brutal rape last night

19. muffdaddy

muffdaddy Member

Too bad the Rockets head honchos didn't read your scouting report. Oh well, you're welcome, enjoying getting GAY. I can already hear the chants in the FedExForum when Rudy leads your team to your first playoff win ... GAY! GAY! GAY! GAY! GAY! :mad:

20. munco

munco Member

Gay needs to work on his 3 point shooting, but he has a very strong mid range jumper. He has great form on his shot. His shooting is much better than Swift.