1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The San Antonio....Raiders!?!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Angkor Wat, Jul 30, 2014.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe. Victoria's still a secret there, after all.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL! Buzzing! Rep'd for the chuckle. :grin:

3. Remii

Remii Member

San Antonio already has an NFL stadium (Saints played some home games there after the hurricane)... but not only do they have the Austin market but they have Laredo and maybe south of Laredo as well. They love football in that part of Texas too and San Antonio is closer to those fans than going to see the Cowboys. They won't have a problem keeping that stadium full.

And if the Raiders stay in the AFC, Jerry may get to keep a lot of his fans _ McNair would be in trouble.

4. Beavis Stiffler

They can use these team names from the USFL, CFL, and WFL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they should rename as the San Antonio Rough Riders.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What happens when you combine this:

[​IMG]

with this?

[​IMG]

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

The San Austinio Banditos?

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Alamodome is NOT an NFL stadium. It would require renovation to get to 66 luxury suites which is not an acceptable number for a NFL stadium. I've pasted the number of suites from other stadiums below. It has 6,000 club seats which I'm assuming is way lower than other stadiums. No reports out there speculate that the alamo dome would be the home for the team. It would require a new stadium.

(DAL) Cowboys Stadium: 342
    (NY) MetLife: 218
    (HOU) NRG Stadium: 196
    (TB) Raymond James Stadium: 195
    GB) Lambeau Field: 168
    (SF) Levi's Stadium: 176
    (CHI) Soldier Field: 133
    (PIT) Heinz Field: 129
    (SL) Edward Jones Dome: 120
    (SEA) CenturyLink Field: 111
    (PHX) Uni of Phoenix: 88
    (NE) Gillette Stadium 88

A team in San Antonio would not have the Austin Market. Austin is a transplant market and you would not see people give up their teams if they didn't have a team in their backyard. I say this as an Austinite.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Alamodome is absolutely not an NFL stadium, regardless of the Saints playing there briefly under emergency conditions.

They'd need a new stadium; one I doubt the city would build.

More important..there isn't the corporate base there necessary to support an NFL team. I'm not talking about fans who'd like to go watch games...I'm talking about corporations buying suites, PSL's and club level seating. Read a really good article about this when there was talk about the A's moving there. It's not going to happen any time soon, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Still looking for the article, but ran across this one http://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...-antonio-has-better-shot-at-mls.html?page=all

talks about problems with financing a new stadium given the allocation of their visitor tax revenues already committed

#48 MadMax, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Valero, USAa, Tesero, HEB, AT&T still has a huge base there even though their HQ moved to Dallas, etc. There is enough.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Clear Channel and NuStar Energy are there, too...both are F500 companies.

11. Remii

Remii Member

The Alamodome would just be "temporary" and the Raiders need a place to play immediately after this season. No team would even be talking about moving to San Antonio if they weren't going to build them a new stadium... And Davis Jr said he wants a "small intimate stadium" which wouldn't kill the pockets of San Antonio tax payers.

Cowboy Stadium is 20-30 minutes outside of Dallas. Austin is around an hour (depending on how you drive) from San Antonio so that practically is Austin's back yard. And if you're a transplant and your favorite team is playing in San Antonio _ Welllll... And if San Antonio gets some of that TV market which more than likely they would get a big chunk of it if not all of it because they're so close _ people will watch... And you probably would to.

The Cowboys usually play on Fox so that wouldn't hurt them unless they're playing at the same time.

12. Buck Turgidson

NFL will expand to London/Mexico City/and/or LA before they even sniff San Antone. It's just not a viable market, and Hou/Dal owners will not allow it for many years....

Until expansion.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed...

14. Bob Barker 007

Charles Barkley already provided the name: San Antonio "Fat and Ugly Women"

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You didn't say it was temporary in your previous post. We seem to agree now that the Alamo Dome is not a NFL ready stadium despite the fact that it (like a ton of other stadiums around the US) can physically host a NFL team.

Comparing Arlington/Dallas to San Antonio/Austin is ridiculous. Arlington is seen as a suburb of Dallas and in the greater Dallas area. Austin and San Antonio are different cities with completely different identities and cultures. If the team were in San Marcus and it was the "Texas Somethings" then it might be different.

Comparing the distance is incredibly superficial. If you DO want to compare then it's 18 miles between ATT stadium and downtown dallas and 80 miles between San Antonio and Austin.

Again, you are talking to someone who has lived in austin for the last 10 years. I would absolutely get season tickets if Austin had a team but I would not give a crap if San Antonio had one.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cowboys/Texans fans in Austin because of the smart people migrants.

However, if the San Antonio Vatos Locos were a reality , I'd go check them out.

17. Buck Turgidson

Like Dallas and Fort Worth, right?

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

As a fellow Austinite, I know a LOT of people here are Spurs fans... Including many diehards.

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Except completely unlike that. I've lived in both areas, and Dallas and FW are relatively similar, but Austin and SA are not.

Hell, if you want some implicit factual evidence, just look at real estate values or population density.

20. Buck Turgidson

No, you're absolutely correct. And I still think it's really cute that yall are seriously discussing the logistics of putting an NFL team in the Austin/San Antonio corridor.