1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The San Antonio....Raiders!?!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Angkor Wat, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The only thing preventing LA from getting a team is LA. They can't get out of their own way. And that's why SA could get a team before them. Besides Rams/Chargers are the play for LA more so than Raiders.

SA as 36th market is misleading if you include the Rio Grand Valley and Central Texas. Besides GB, JAX, Nashville, NOLA, etc... also have small markets.

2. Indaface

Indaface Member

San Antonio Chaparrals sounds about right to me

No chance this happens, San Antonio probably has a greater percentage of Cowboys fans than Dallas does. Jerry would hate losing a huge chunk of fans.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

There is 0 chance they ever change the name of the team. You don't change the name of teams that are 40 years old and have won multiple championships especially when your dad was the one who named it.

The Alamodome is ****. They will have to absolutely build a new stadium. I also think this really won't happen. I don't see the reasoning. It's SOOOOOOOO much cowboys territory and it's not a big media market. Maybe if this was 20 years ago but the NFL is too strong right now to go to a weaker market.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Jerry would vote it down and use any leverage he had to get the other owners to do the same. But it would take 8 votes against. Do 24 owners dislike him? Seems possible.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

A winner will always win fans over and the Spurs have been the only consistently respectable team in texas for years. Bring it!!

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Exactly. It's very obvious. The Raiders will be in Los Angeles, in a new stadium. Sorry San Antonio residents, you aren't getting an NFL team. Maybe the Texans and Cowboys can schedule some preseason matches for you all.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jerry will chain himself to the doors of the Alamo and stage a man-on-the-street protest before this happens.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

But why include the Valley with San Antonio? I can see Central Texas, with San Antonio being basically at the extreme southern end of Central Texas, but the Valley is anyone's game. The Spurs have only built up a rep there because of the championships.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Culturally and demographically the valley is much closer to San Antonio than the rest of Texas

10. Beavis Stiffler

It makes sense. The Raiders and the Spurs have the same colors, silver and black. Just like all Pittsburgh sports teams have yellow and black.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would say 24 owners easily dislike Jerry.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

McNair would also vote no. No way does he want another team in Texas either.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Let's talk about San Antonio as a viable market for the NFL. In both fan support; ability to finance a new stadium; and ability to sell out luxury suites/PSL's/etc.

My impression is they would fall short. And yes, I know they have a big population.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not convinced he has the backbone to stand up to the other owners if Goddell says he approves. Plus the Texans have completely ignored central Texas. The only fan base they have comes from Houston ex-pats like myself. It wouldn't affect the Texans much. It would only affect those of us that will no longer get to see games live unless we sign up for Direct TV and get Sunday Ticket.

I disagree. There's more money there than you realize. They wouldn't have a problem selling the suites and I don't think it would take long to create a rabid fan base.

All of this said...it's more likely they're being used (Orlando Pace to the Texans style) to leverage a better deal in the Bay Area or with LA.

15. newAge_Rockets

Alamodome is turrrrrrbbblllle.

16. Major

Major Member

I think part of the beauty of the NFL is that with only 8 home games, you can make games into an "event" and it works in smaller cities. I think SA would be able to feed into the Austin market and sell a ton of tickets there, similar to how people come from out of town to go to UT football games.

17. Remii

Remii Member

If L.A. "really wanted" a team they would have had one long ago. And IMO, owners are actually scared to move to L.A. There's too much 5h1t to do in L.A... Beautiful weather, beaches, Californian girls, good bud, Vegas isn't too far away, and a couple of good college football programs _ and if the team suxks people won't show.

I thought San Antonio was being used for leverage, but The Raiders have the worst attendance in the league so they may be seriously trying to move and I don't think McNair is going to have it.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I feel like there is something else in San Antonio which you are not remembering

19. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Will they have fat cheerleaders?

20. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

The San Antonio Mexicans

It would work. Cowboys, Texans, and Mexicans. Throw a sombrero on the Raiders logo, and you're done.