1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Russell Westbrook thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Steve Francis was never the shooter Westbrook is. Francis relied heavily on his athleticism. That's why he fell off the cliff once the athleticism was gone.

Westbrook is a smaller version of Kobe Bryant.

Anyway, he is looking like he wants to make up all the scoring he has missed due to his injury.

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Their stats show otherwise. Just look above where the poster posted all the career numbers. Westbrook is not a great shooter.

And all these people say "Look at what Westbrook is doing this year." It's TEN GAMES. Pump your brakes.

3. oakdogg

Career numbers are a horrible comparison, and you should know it. Francis played several years at the end when he was a shell of himself.

Face it. They are very darn comparable. Athletic, score-first point guards without the best shooting percentages and without great assist numbers for a point guard.

I heard so much about Westbrook in years past that I checked his stats out. I was very surprised at how low his FG% and 3P% were. All I could think was why doesn't he pass to Durant more.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Well, in general, playmakers are necessary, and is something for AD to take the next step. Alas, we both digress, let's not discuss anymore.

Westbrook is absolutely killing it right now. Everybody who said the Thunder wouldn't make playoffs is looking absolutely foolish right now.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I agree with his coach Scotty Brooks, best PG in the game. Want someone overrated that would be Rajon Rondo.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Westbrook plays defense and isn't as dumb on offense.

Also, Westbrook has upped his scoring volume and efficiency to elite levels this year. Let's see if he can keep it up.

7. yo

yo Contributing Member

The Thunder will never win a championship with Russell Westbrook.

8. Mr. Clutch

So which team will win one with Russ?

9. oakdogg

Haha. Westbrook is plenty dumb on offense. And I said it was a comparison of offense.

10. Mr. Clutch

Yes, I agree Westbrook is dumb on offense.

Francis was another level of stupid.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

:confused: The stats show they're pretty much comparable, WB has a marginal FG% vs Francis so any increase in pts has more to do with WB chucking up a lot of shots. Plus Francis has to put up points with Mobley as his sidekick, WB has been a Robin lifer who pretty much mooches off Kevin Durant's greatness. If WB hadn't been playing with KD all these years he'd be branded a selfish ballhog just like Francis, Iverson, Melo and Brandon Jennings.

Calling WB a superstar is a stretch simply because the dude hasn't done anything by himself yet, his stats are due to high volume rather than high efficiency and while he has moments of greatness, it's not consistent enough to last all season. We call Dwight a superstar because he brought a crappy Orlando team to the finals. We call Harden a superstar because he brought a crappy Houston team to the playoffs a couple years ago and then he's willing the team to wins this year. What has WB done by himself without KD the savior to bail him out?

This was supposed to eb the year he proves his haters wrong and wills OKC to the playoffs without KD, instead he injures himself and only recovers at the same time KD recovers lol. Maybe if he fixes his dumb IQ on offense and works on his broken J you can consider him a superstar, personally I think he plateaued already 2 years ago, this is the best and only WB we're gonna be seeing until his athleticism goes away and he becomes perpetually injured and/or washed up.

1 person likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wait so now we're comparing Westbrook with Steve Francis? I thought it was determined long ago that Russ was Stephon Marbury 2.0?

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Westbrook or Harden?

14. Mr. Clutch

WB not a superstar unless he keeps up current pace

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

oh the day when a person was an OKC Thunder fan and didn't have to choose lol

16. Mr. Clutch

This year it's been Westbrook tbh.

The thing with Westbrook is he plays great defense.

So Harden's offense has to overcome his disadvantage on defense.

17. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

The thing that worries me is that the Thunder will probably be a 4th-6th seed(unless they have an incredible hot streak and get higher) and the Rockets will have to play them in the first round

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Westbrook's play so far has been amazing. It's like watching a mini-Lebron out there, if Lebron's agression were amped up to 11. If he keeps this up I'll take back every bad thing I've said about him.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

WB's playing at a historic pace right now. He would be better than Durant last year if he kept this up.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Westbrook is what Francis *should have* been, if Francis was smarter on the court / improved more during his career