1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Russell Westbrook thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Dec 16, 2014.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

And I say I hope he does. He'd win MVP, but nobody's winning any titles with their PG having that kind of usage rate. It just isn't gonna happen.

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Westbrook winning the MVP would be the worst MVP decision since Karl Malone in 1997. It's that awful.

I cannot freaking believe that in an era where analytics are supposed to be everywhere that a man can get a MVP off of "He gets a lot of triple doubles." Who cares about triple doubles? Seriously. What difference does it make that Westbrook got 11 rebounds in a game instead of 9? And it's particularly infuriating since I've watched people go "Oh, well Anthony Davis can't win a MVP, his team isn't good enough, blah blah blah" and then turn around and say that Westbrook is good enough.

3. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

the difference between WB and Harden is that WB could drop 40-11-10 and they lose the game

Harden could have 12 pts , but 4 of those are the game winning/clinching points.

Don't give the MVP to someone just because they put up crazy stats

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The Genius of Sam Presti -- (Not go over the the luxury cap) for having three MVP caliber players (Harden, WB, and Durant) with Ibaka.

That team could win almost win 70 games in the West, right now. They would've beaten SA, the last three years.

5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

If Westbrook can be a serious MVP candidate then Anthony Davis should be a big time MVP candidate. Davis is the better player of the two and their teams are very close in record. Westbrook is playing out of his mind recently, but that is still Durant's team. With the other MVP candidates, there's no question that Harden, Curry, Lebron, and Davis are THE men on their teams. I don't care what Westbrook is doing now, when Durant comes back healthy enough, he is the best player and number one on that team.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

MVP...

Last 7 games(5 Westbrook triple doubles)

OKC is -24 with Westbrook on the court.

OKC is +43 with Westbrook off the court.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

For the year, he leads the LEAGUE in +/-. FYI.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

I was surprised WB vertical leap is just 36" compared to Harden 37", I was expecting something higher

Nothing close to M.J 48" though ...

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is very, very interesting...

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great stats via <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeAndMike">@MikeAndMike</a> Russell Westbrook streak is not as impressive as everyone seems to believe. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RWnotMVP?src=hash">#RWnotMVP</a> <a href="http://t.co/ly0cXm0Zpg">pic.twitter.com/ly0cXm0Zpg</a></p>&mdash; Garrett Eskens (@g3skins) <a href="https://twitter.com/g3skins/status/575396698320596992">March 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

You said too many stuff which are irrelevant and I don't think you need to try so hard to prove your point. I honestly don't even care if you put my name on your sig or not, every single time you have interacted with me I was always on the right side of the argument, I was right when I said WB chucking is bad for his team, I was right when I said trading for Love was a bad move for Wiggins, and I was right when I said Dallas was making a mistake with the Rondo trade. The bolded part is really the only thing I have an issue with so let's focus on that.

Regarding PER, if you have read any other stat websites aside from ESPN you'll know that one of PER's biggest faults is that it inflates guys who chuck a lot, which seem to be the antithesis of efficiency. The reason is because due to the way PER is calculated it has a break even point, for example if you shoot higher than 48% you will accumulate positive PER, meaning a guy who shot 4,900/10,000 will have a higher PER than a guy who shot 49/100 despite them actually having the same efficiency. I would imagine the same is true for other stats as well, if you do a bit better than the league average at getting blocks, rebs and steals, then you will have greater PER the more stats you get.

If you want to consider efficiency related to blocks, rebounding etc. then that's fine, but if we're talking about efficiency then they have to be constant despite the volume you get, isn't that the whole principle of being efficient? This is also why WB's stat stuffing can lead to a high PER despite him being inefficient, like I said PER is a measure of productivity and WB is extremely productive, he will get you blocks, dunks, steals, charges and highlight reel worthy plays while he is on the court. But he isn't efficient, otherwise why will OKC actually have a losing record when he hogs it up? If a guy is truely efficient then your team will win if he gets all the usage, because then it will mean the team will be converting almost every possession. Just look at other renowned ball hogs in NBA history, Kobe Bryant, Stephen Marbury, Allen Iverson, Melo etc. all these guys have high PER despite being called inefficient black holes for most of their career.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

Chris P. Schooling WB now ..

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

WB on quadruple double watch

9 turnovers

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul is still the best PG in the NBA. I don't care what anyone says...

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Clippers are literally defending Westbrook like they do Harden. Difference is Wesbrook isn't finding the open man, Too much dribbling. Watching this should tell you how high Harden's basketball IQ is.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

over rated run, he always has the ball so he should put up big numbers and he tells his team mates to get out of the way so he can get rebounds

17. i3artow i3aller

So, does Kerr throw his remaining two games against the Pelicans? Or, at the very least, the one in the last week of the season :confused:

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Paul murked WB last night. What was great to see was Paul's defense. And how these 2 went at it against one another.

Probably one of a handful of stars who actually guard their matchups.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Russell Westbrook has been hit with a flopping warning from the NBA office. Happened yesterday against the Clippers.</p>&mdash; Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarnellMayberry/status/576134580480184321">March 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Edit: Had to go campaign for that last rebound. ;)

<strike>1 rebound shy of another triple double</strike>

29, 12 & <strike>9</strike> 10

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Westbrook campaigning the scorer's table and PR staff. Don't ever believe he doesn't care about triple-doubles.</p>&mdash; Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarnellMayberry/status/576568847194402816">March 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>They've changed it to a rebound. Westbrook finishes with a triple-double.</p>&mdash; Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarnellMayberry/status/576569700676567040">March 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

#460 J.R., Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015