1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Royce White Bandwagon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jun 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The airplane thing is so overplayed. He flies all the time - recently went to Italy and back. He just prefers not to, when possible. Doesn't mean he can't or that it's a problem.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I watched him last year some, because I watch a lot of Big 12 basketball. I know you do too, so I'm curious to know what your impressions of him were.

3. raining threes

I've got no choice but to be on his bandwagon.

I'm a Rockets fan.

The obsession you have with PF's is unhealthy Morey

Get this team a 2 viable C prospects please.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He measured 6'7" with out shoes at the combine, 6'8" with shoes and weight 261 lbs.

5. Grigori

Grigori Member

He reminds me of TWill, except...bigger and crazier.

6. pass_to_Hakeem

Scola or Morris .. I would go with Morris being shipped myself , just because he is younger and we really haven't seen what he can do. With Scola you know what he is gonna give you and what he "has" given you.

7. Crank

Crank Member

The naysayers will eat major crow if we keep him. Which I hope we do.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I actually like the pick. This guy is built like a Mack Truck and can definitely play around the basket. I am not sure how much of an enforcer he is, but if he were to develop a bit of a mean streak, watch out!

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think it's mainly because he did not have to score against lesser talented teams, he was more concerned with getting his teammates going.

Another possibility is that he had not played organized competitive basketball (at least on that level) in two years due to the issues in Minnasota. It could have taken a little time to regain consistency.

Of course both are just theories.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

With a basketball IQ and an ability to string together coherent sentences.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I love him, as long as he keeps working on that jumper. I agree with Morey that White has the highest ceiling of anyone on the roster. Incredible combination of power with speed and coordination. Sees the floor enough to truly initiate the offense. Very unique player. I also love his competitive fire - you could really see him elevate his play against Kansas and Mizzou during Big 12 play and both of his NCAA tourney games (UConn/Kentucky). I mean, Kentucky basically had an NBA front line - they made Thomas Robinson look completely overmatched - and White torched them. He loved the stage, too.

That said, to completely use his skillset, he's got to be able to make shots beyond 20 feet so defenders can't sag off. He has the ability - watched him hit two threes against Mizzou - but he has to keep working. Same goes for free throws, because there's no excuse for a guy with his touch to shoot 49%. But I think it'll happen with time. He seems to have a great work ethic, and it can't be overstated that he had just one season in college. He's going to get even better.

If the Rockets make a deal for Howard, I'd give up Lamb before I would White. That's how much I'm intrigued by this.

12. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I'm on! Can't wait to see him in action.

13. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

AGREE

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ive warmed up to the idea of White .... He is an intriguing prospect who has a unique skillset for his size. Has a ton of upside.

My question is - does he have a position in the NBA ?? I dont believe he has the length to guard power 4's in the NBA. Boils down to being able to defend the SF spot and being able to knock down shots from outside which opens up the rest of his game.

If he has the quickness to guard SF's he could be what Marcus Morris was suppose to be in last years draft. He has the skillset to make that transition much easier than Morris did.

He's got to improve his outside shot and freethrows .... 49.8% from the stripe wont cut it in the NBA.

Last question - Where does he get minutes with Parsons playing so well. Does give the team a lot of options to go big with Parsons sliding to the SG , White at the SF and or going small with White at the PF spot.

Think this pick (and the Jones pick) really makes Marcus Morris expendable. Deep at the position now with versatile guys tho lacking a pure shooter at SF.

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

If he is that much better than Parsons/Scola, he will take minutes from them.

16. Grigori

Grigori Member

That was part of the "crazier."

Don't forget that he's bigger, too. TWill was undersized for a NBA point forward.

17. marothisu

marothisu Member

To understand this, you would have actually had to watch ISU play this season.

1) He has the mentality of a pass first point guard. He states it all the time. He doesn't care how his team scores. He feels just as good about giving an assist as he does scoring it himself.

Also, he's an efficient scorer usually. He shot over 53% from the field this year, and averaged less than 10 FG attempts per game, while averaging 6 FTs a game (but only making an average of 3).

2) There were actually other players on ISU. Two other guys averaged over 12 points/game while another was at about 9.5/game, with two more just under 8. 5 guys on ISU shot better than 36% from 3 point, and ISU employed a pro-style offense. Very balanced scoring attack.

3) Not going to sugar coat this, but White is not a good FT shooter. Although he got better during the end of the year, he still wasn't great. If he was a good FT shooter, you would have seen at least a 16 or 17 point/game average from him.

Examples?
    vs. Texas - 14 points, 8-17 FT
    vs. Kansas - 18 points, 3-8 FT
    vs. Kansas - 18 points, 6-11 FT
    vs. Kentucky - 23 points, 5-9 FT
    Missouri - 18 points, 2-8 FT
    Kansas State - 22 points, 2-7 FT
    Texas - 15 points, 1-7 FT

Imagine for a minute he was actually a decent 75% FT shooter:

He would have had 18-19 points in the Texas game, 21 points in the first Kansas game, 20-21 in the second Kansas game, 26-27 points in the Kentucky game, 22 points against Missouri, 25 points against K-State, and 19 against Texas the second time. This isn't even factoring in other games like going 5-10 against Baylor and getting 11 points.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

White is a player that you have to be creative with. The guy has skills of a point forward but the body of PF. And it's not certain where he fits best defensively. I am very intrigued by him, but I'm not sure how he fits with the team.

Here's hoping McHale really does know his big men.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Would jump on, too scared that i'd be heart broken if he gets packaged out before the season starts. So i'm going to hold out on looking into our rookies until the season starts. Although i already do really hope we keep white and lamb, terrence jones isn't bad either i have a feeling he could be really good as well.