1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Royce White Bandwagon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jun 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Sman2k10

Sman2k10 Member

2. Htown's2kFinest

Was on board before he was even draft. Hope he succeeds in Houston.

3. vince

vince Member

From looking at highlight reels, it seems that Royce White looks closer to 6-6 and not 6-8...

But my those highlights were pretty cool.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you ever see Diaw play in Phoenix? And yes I saw that video of Royce. He looks like a great prospect, but nothing in that video resembled Blake Griffin.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Draftexpress has him 6'7 w/o shoes and 6'8 w/ shoes and he has a 7' wingspan.

6. smr6

smr6 Member

I love the excitement he has shown about coming to Houston since he was drafted. Kid is genuinely excited to be coming here so you got to love that.

7. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Ok, I'll hop on board. I like his highlights.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

no one will care, but i like Lamb and White better than I have liked any Rockets draft pick since Yao Ming. At the time of drafting. And better than any trade for a guy on a rookie contract that comes to mind (Hill, Morris, Flynn, Thabeet...any others?)

Granted, I didn't know enough about Aaron Brooks. Still...huge fan of those 2 picks. This will be good in the end

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I really didn't like him coming into the draft because of his makeup problems and mediocre offensive performance in college (13ppg on 31 minutes--and yes, he dishes lots of assists but he also turns the ball over a ton).

Morey being so high on him makes me a little more optimistic but I still wouldn't say I'm on the bandwagon.

I'm on the Jeremy Lamb bandwagon.

10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

nice read from celtics forum:
    http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=57299.msg1246937;topicseen

Royce White Stats VS other High Potential picks in this years draft = impressive
    « on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

Lets look at some of the numbers White put up against other top talent big men entering the draft

Game 1 vs Kansas and Thomas Robinson(Projected top 5 pick)
    White
    18pts, 17 rebs, 4 asts , 2 blks, 1 stl, 50%FG in 28 mins

Robinson
    11pts, 14 rebs, 2 asts , 3 blks, 0 stl 40%FG in 32 mins

Game 2 vs Kansas
    White
    18pts,9 rebs, 5 asts, 0 blk, 0 stl 54% FG

Robinson
    13 pts, 7 rebs 0 asts , 1 blk, 1 stl 45%FG

VS Baylor
    (Jones - late lottery, Acy - 2nd rd pick/ )both elite athletes

Game 1
    White
    14pts,5 rebs, 4asts , 7 TO 58% FG

Jones
    18pts,7 rebs, 2 asts, 2 TO 61%FG

Game 2 VS Baylor
    White
    11pts, 11 rebs , 4 asts 3 TO 37% FG

Jones
    10pts, 12 rebs, 0 asts, 0 TO 45%FG

NCAA TOURNAMENT VS UCONN in a 77-64 win
    (Andre Drummond - projected top 10 pick, Oreaki- future 1st rd)

White
    15pts, 13 rebs, 2 asts, 1 TO 66%FG

Drummond
    2 pts ,3 rebs , 0 asts,4 blks, 0TO, 5 Fouls 25% FG
    Oreaki
    2pts, 3 rebs, 25% FG

vs Kentucky ( Davis projected # 1, Jones projected late lottery)

White
    23 PTS, 9 rebs, 4 asts, 3 stls, 1 blk , 3 TO, 75% FG

Davis
    15pts, 12 rebs, 5 asts, 0 stls, 2 blk, 3 TO, 44% FG

Jones
    8 pts, 11 rebs, 3 asts, 1 stl, 2 blk, 1 TO, 33% FG

So in 6 games vs other 1 rd big men
    Anthony Davis - # 1 pick
    Thomas Robinson top 5 pick
    Andre Drummond - top 10 pick
    Terrence Jones - top 15 pick
    Perry Jones - top 15-20 pick
    Quincy Acy - 2nd rd pick
    Jeff Whitey - 2nd rd pick
    Oreaki - future 1st rd pick

White's Averages vs these 1st rd picks
    16.5 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 4 APG, 57 % FG

and his team went 3-3 against teams with clearly much more talent.

11. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Now that's some impressive stats.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

If White was so good against other top talent why was his scoring so much lower OVERALL? Did he just blow chunks against crappy competition?

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I have never seen anyone like him in the college game. He is a completely unique player that is extremely talented. I look forward to seeing if his game can translate to the NBA game. IMO Royce is the only one that can stop himself from being an NBA player for a long time.

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

good, Nice Artest wasn't cutting it.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah I am in since I like the behind the back passing stuff. I know that is corny sometimes but it makes it fun. I wonder if he has lots of turnovers.

Barkley was 6'6 and he played PF. Not sure what Barkleys playing weight was but this dude looks beefy too.

Interesting.

16. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Having not heard of him before sitting down to watch Texas play Iowa State last year, I was completely surprised by Royce White's skill set. One of those under the radar talents that had me asking aloud, who the hell is this guy?!! Don't know how his game will translate to the NBA, but I definitely left the Texas-Iowa State game (1) knowing who Royce White was, and (2) believing he would play in the NBA. What really stood out was his ability to create his own shot and even run point at times, strange given his position and size. I believe Iowa State featured 4 players transferring from bigger programs last season. Can't remember is White was one of those transfers or not. Not ready to proclaim him a star in the making, but I was certainly not disappointed when I heard Houston drafted him. I don't think you'll have to worry about this guy's motor. Very competitive.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am on board. He has an odd set of skills for a man his size. If he can just get over that little odd quirk he has too. Have no idea how this man is gonna travel if he cant get on a airplane.

18. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

The sky's his limit. He hates to fly, get it? So it really is his limit. He can only play "road" games - see what I did there - no flying joke... Ha... Ha... :rolleyes: (Sarcastic laugh)

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

He didn't shoot much against weaker competition. He was generally the play-maker on offense that set up all of his teammates during those games.

When he played against top competition, he seemed to take it upon himself to try to put points on the board.

And against those ranked teams, he only had 1 game where he shot less than 50% from the floor.

He really needs to improve that FT% though.

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

http://nbadraft.net/2012-draft-study-results

More found there....that really blew me away...(long read) significant take backs:

"In the 16 games in which the Cyclones faced RPI 100 opponents, his averages jumped to 17.1 points on 54.3 percent shooting, 9.9 rebounds, 2.9 offensive rebounds, 4.4 assists. 1.4 steals, and 1.0 blocked shots in 34 minutes per game. Depending on his opposition, he effectively went from an oversized point guard who could get all his teammates involved to quite possibly the most dynamic offensive prospect among the forwards "

"The importance of the splits when looking at White as an NBA prospect is that one of the larger on-court questions put forth about him is whether or not he can succeed if the team that drafts him does not play him in the same way Fred Hoiberg did at Iowa State. While it is always prudent to consider how a player’s strengths and weaknesses would fit the role he would be asked to play, in this case it understates the revealed versatility of his play as well as embedded on court understanding to know what his team needs of him to best help them in a given game. His performance this season was much more complex than simply him playing the LeBron-role in the Big Twelve. If a team needed a power forward who could get on the offensive glass, White pulled down 2.4 offensive rebounds in Big Twelve games and 2.9 in games against the RPI Top 100, which is not all that different from the 2.7 offensive rebounds Thomas Robinson did in the Big Twelve and 2.8 against the RPI Top 100"