1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets will have a top 10 defense this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Oct 3, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

We have the coach now, and we have the pieces. With KPJ eliminating himself from the conversation and Reggie Bullock taking his place, most of our regular rotation players will be above-average defenders, with Dillon Brooks being an all-defensive guy and FVV lowkey right in that range as well.

Jabari Smith and Tari Eason, already naturally gifted with good defensive tools, will thrive under better coaching and with more experience under their belts. Amen Thompson will be one of the best defensive rookies in the league.

There are still some questions surrounding Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun, but they have the raw physical abilities to be average-or-better defenders, and there will be a lot of pressure on them from their coaches and teammates to carry their shares of the load, so I think think there is some hope they can take the next step defensively. And regardless, you can hide one or two "offensive engine" guys in a defensive concept.

Rounding out this roster with Bullock gives me a lot more confidence we'll least be fighting for a play-in spot toward the end of the season.

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

top 10 for sure. can't wait to watch the new look Rockets

sirjesse and don grahamleone like this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Honestly, we look solid except a shot blocker. We would still be a top defensive team in the league but if we can get Robert Williams in a trade with Portland. We could be a true playoff team. He was not a starter with Boston last year, he could come off the bench to give us a shot blocker, toughness and athleticism in the Center position. I know the Coach Ime would LOVE to have him. We almost had Brook Lopez last summer but Robert Williams would be a better fit.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

Really impressed with how Udoka approached the Green/Sengun question: acknowledge they need to contribute on D and putting the onus on the coach to put them in position to succeed on D. That’s leadership. I too am optimistic.

With this coach and with sеriots pros on the roster, I don’t think Green will dare to lollygag on D like last year. Alperen have enough IQ and foot speed to position properly on the PnR.

LFG!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think we can kinda block shots by committee, because we're pretty long and athletic everywhere but center, and our centers aren't nonexistent as shotblocking threats, it's just not their strong suits.

We were actually #18 in shotblocking last season, believe it or not. One of the few statistical categories that wasn't totally terrible.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Highly doubt it.

RudyTBag and Jontro like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

unlikely. top 5 defense is more like it

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not really worried about shot blocking, it's not paramount to playing good defense.

So much of playing defense is effort, making the right read & putting yourself in the right position as well as knowing your opponent's tendencies & being prepared.

Shot blocking usually comes into play when everything else has failed.

Yes, it's nice to have a backstop ....

don grahamleone and OremLK like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Page Cyberx Page ........

Need information on all the other 29 teams and their Defense first.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They probably will have a stretch where they are even Top 5 Defense but I do think the season is too long and you still have a few 21 year olds on that team.

At some point yes, can they do it over 82 games with all the Injuries.......

I need to see who they are competing against first, because folks are not even considering the enemy and the competition.

In general NBA teams are more focused on Offense which will help the Rockets if they want to be a Defense First squad.

#10 daywalker02, Oct 4, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah they definitely won't.

At best it'll be middle of the pack but it certainly won't be a bottom barrel like recent years. you don't go from last in the league to top 10 overnight. it doesn't work that way in reality

#11 YOLO, Oct 4, 2023
    RocketWalta and SamFisher like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt the Rockets have a Top 10 Defense with both Sengun (love the offense) and Green this season unless one of them makes a big leap defensively. Smith should be a lot better, but he was more potential than actually good last season. VanVleet is a good defender, but it is more in a team concept than as the point of attack defender.

I think the Rockets will have some great defense at times with some combinations of Landale, Smith, Tari, Brooks, Tate, and VanVleet. Amen has the athleticism for defense, but need to see it actually utilized.

My feeling is that sometime within the next 18 months the Rockets are going to have to make a decision on whether to have a rim protector or stick with Sengun. Seeing the Rockets pursue Lopez, Sengun is going to need to be great this year for the Rockets to pick him over what seems their natural inclination. If the Rockets stick with Sengun, they are going to need better point of attack defenders than at least one of VanVleet and Green if not both next season. I'm hoping Amen can become a point of attack defender regardless of whether the Rockets stick with Sengun or add a rim protector.

#12 Joe Joe, Oct 4, 2023
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, need this piece to even begin a conversation like this. They'll be better, as Jabari & Co physically mature, but no top 10 this year.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, need this piece to even begin a conversation like this. They'll be better, as Jabari & Co physically mature, but no top 10 THIS year.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The Rockets will have a top 10 defense this season

[​IMG]
    :eek:

Fly like a Butterfly, sting like a Bee!!

Go Rockets!!!

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not a chance in hell

RudyTBag and YOLO like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Since I'm seeing some doubters, let's take a look at the #9 defensive team in the NBA last season by opponent points allowed per game, the New Orleans Pelicans. Here are all their guys who played 15+ minutes per game:

CJ McCollum
    Brandon Ingram (45 games played)
    Zion Williamson (29 games played)
    Trey Murphy III
    Herbert Jones
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Naji Marshall
    Josh Richardson (23 games played)
    Jose Alvarado
    Larry Nance Jr
    Dyson Daniels
    Devonte Graham

None of their players have ever been on an all-defensive team. Their blocked shots leader was JV with 0.7 per game. None of their rotation players had more than 1.0 blocks per 36 minutes.

I do think they have some underrated guys and a number of very good individual defenders... but so will we now that we dumped some of the biggest negatives and added several very good defenders.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm leaning towards yes.

Pre opening night last season I had us around #12.....then dropped it to
    around #15 in defense right before opening night. I had Silas playing
    both Jabari and Tari together from January 1st on.

A couple of weeks after the All Star game I heard a stat by a Rocket
    Podcast or Network Pre-game show that said the Rockets were #8 in
    DRtg while Jabari and Tari were on the court at the same time.
    Silas didn't want this to succeed though.

Udoka hopefully won't make that mistake. By seasons end I feel the Rockets
    will be around #9 in DRtg. Young players will still make mistakes, communication,
    Amen will have to temp it down or get tons of fouls.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody expecting a Top 10 defense will be greatly disappointed. Zero chance.

They'll be much better than before, though.

MarioKissoDeath and YOLO like this.