1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets under JB Bickerstaff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I don't have a to exact stats, but what I have noticed is the drop in points, speed and TOs

Say goodbye to scoring 110-115 points.
    Say goodbye to 30 threes a game.
    Say goodbye to Harden iso game

The transition IMO is obvious, JB is slowing down the game. We are posting up much more. This team is changing rapidly and I believe Murray is gonna have to look now a bit differently on who to add to the roster.

Seems like JB is forcing Murray on team needs, and not the other way around like it was with MilkHair

2. ibm

ibm Member

just a few games in, but i think jbb is doing just fine.

in the past 2-3 games, i saw some positive changes. waiting to see more...

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I definitely disagree on the "slowing down the game" part. He was clearly yelling to pick up the pace, and run the floor last game.

As a matter of fact, the only time this team has been worth anything this year is when they get up and down the floor.

JB is posting guys up more because this team is playing so bad defensively that the opportunities for transition points are incredibly rare.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We've still looked bad, but the cutdown on turnovers has been a pleasant surprise.

5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

He has made some good changes but it doesn't mean anything until a playbook is installed and Harden is moving off ball

THEN the entire offense needs to be redone with a new system with a new playbook and a new coach!!

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

jb isn't forcing morey to do anything. he's trying to win games to keep his job. the best way he (and his dad) know how to do is to play the way he's trying to get them to play. win or lose, he's most likely going to get replaced at season's end. he might as well play the way he wants whether morey likes it or not.

7. Prize Closet

Prize Closet Rookie

I'm not a fan

8. awc713

awc713 Member

DMO will put us up to 120-130 ppg...easily

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He's better than McFail.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

McHale(11gms) - 3P: 102-352(.289)
    JBB(8gms) - 3P: 79-234(.337)

McHale: 32 (3PT)/game
    JBB: 29.25 (3PT)/game

McHale: 1109 points(100.8 PPG)
    JBB: 832 points(104 PPG)

McHale: 1194 points against(108.5 PPG)
    JBB: 850 points(106.25 PPG)

McHale: 176 turnovers(16 TO/G)
    JBB: 127 turnovers(15.875 TO/G)

Feel free to double check as I suck at math. ; )

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Better than McCrap but that's not saying much

Almost every NBa head coach and at least half the assistants in the nBa are better than that clueless McHale

JB has definitely made some visible positive changes but it'll take much more time to over come 4 years of bad basketball habits the players developed under McFail

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Well I hope the Harden ISO's are gone for good.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

less than 30 threes a game? oh no murray's gonna have a heart attack! QUICK, SOMEONE GET CJ MILES ON THE PHONE!

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

but srs he has done a good job. anyone expecting a full 180 turn around is fooling themselves. each game this tema has improved.

i dont mind getting a new head coach but if we do i dont wanna get rid of jb and whoever his closest 2nd is. mchale's system was successful so we shouldnt completley abandon it. jb as the lead assistant will keep it in place and the head coach will mesh his system with it.

im all for keeping jb for the season but he has to turn this team around eventually. too much talent to throw away this season. there's too much depth! with morey's flexible contracts we can make some good trades.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The eye test - and assuming JR isn't quite as bad as math as he implies the stats - don't back this up.

I've seen very little change in the team, aside from slightly better shooting.

And offense aside, the defense is still horrible. It is a new nba, but the Rockets have held exactly one opponent under 100 points - and I think they lost that game to the Grizz.

I'm a tad disappointed honestly. Not that I expected magic but it's pretty much the same. And i thought JB would focus on defense more.

So little of the offense seems play based or truly intricate scheme based you'd think a competent coach could STRONGLY emphasize two things - defense and turnovers - and the increased scoring and better efficiency on offense would come out of that and you're looking at last years team again.

JB doesn't seem to have emphasized that as far as I can tell.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Unless McHale was actively disrupting JB's efforts as the "defensive coordinator", I don't know why his promotion could be expected to make that big of an impact on D. It's not like McHale wanted to give up points, so I'm sure McHale emphasized to "play harder" in implementing JB's schemes. That's why I don't understand promoting someone who had such sh#tty results for the season. Our D sucked bad. JB was responsible for the D. So promote JB?????????

1 person likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't like that JB is slowing the offense down. The rest of the league is much faster. The low amount of TOs is great but the Rockets are almost un watchable.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Half of the board wants Tom Thibodeau or Jeff Van Gundy so...

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I have absolutely no problem with posting up a lot more - if those post ups are being given to D-Mo.

I think the movement and slashing is going to increase when D-Mo gets back as well - because he's our only big who can create down low and has the vision to make those crisp passes.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think he's done a better job of calling timely timeouts. That's about it. We have the same offensive coordinator, and the same defensive coordinator. I give the players 95% of the credit or blame in how we play. Unintelligent fans tend to blame coaches when things go wrong, and give players credit when things go well.

1 person likes this.