1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets - the first 2 games - review and grades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Nov 2, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A quick review and grades:

The FO/Morey - A

What can I say. They tore the team completely down and reassembled it in five months. Of course everyone would rather be lucky than good. I would say it has been a little bit of both. But acquiring a 23 year old probable super star to be is priceless. Points taken off for letting Livingston go, but I feel sure the impact on the teams salary structure evens it out. Oh and I was wrong. I stated several times that in 2 years Harden would be the best SG in the game. I was probably off a little bit - 2 years.

The newly acquired starters - Asik Lin Harden A+

What other grade can you give them? Lin has performed about as I expected. Asik has outperformed my expectations. 19 rebounds tonight with strong, strong defense. He can go 0-7 shooting and still be in the +15. I am OK with that. Harden - words completely fail me.

The Rockets power forwards - Morris and Patterson - B

The Rockets PF position is the wild West right now. Who knows who is going to be standing at the end? Morris obviously can play in the NBA, despite all the vitriol directed at him. Patterson can play. Probably one or two of the rookies can play. Give it a month to stabilize.

The Rockets bench - D-

Even thinking about them gives me the willies. Enough said.

The Rockets coaching staff - A

I saved the most contentious for last. What really happened here? Well late Saturday night the coaching staff ripped 80% out of their offensive play book and shredded it. Then they probably got 3 hours sleep a night for 4 days. There is absolutely no way anyone in their right mind would try to shoe horn Harden into Martin's role. All the work of the last 3 months on offensive sets out the door. Preseason too. Then they got the team together in three days. Harden was integrated into the system. As evidenced by the Detroit game, not much else was implemented. But enough. Hell of a job. Not many coaching staffs could have pulled it off. I know I know. The rookies have not played yet. Big deal. McHale has two of the best assistant head coaches in the game, and each of them have more BB IQ in their little toe than anyone stuck out here in fandom. Get over it. It is a good thing. But just remember there is probably 100 years of NBA experience between them. NBA experience.

So I will leave you with a thing of beauty. The shot chart of Harden's Atlanta game. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

#1 jtr, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

the bench is there to hold the ground for the starters to rest. They did alright

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Rockets organization: F

doesn't do much good to build a team if you don't let your fan base watch it

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The only reason the bench is D is because of tony D.

The guy is playing at a Z-, so bad that even if our bench was A+ he would drag it all the way down to an F-.

5. devin23

devin23 Member

This... LOL. Any decent PGs still available at free agency??

6. jvu

jvu Member

Tony D sucks deck

7. King Boo

King Boo Member

[​IMG]

8. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

PICK UP DELONTE

9. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Shaun Livingston?

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Not gonna lie, I would love Delonte on this team......as long as he's on his meds.

11. HookemHorns1250

As I mentioned in other threads, 2 games is rough to judge players. However, if we are going to judge...

Player by Player...

(A+) Harden - What can I say? I don't know if there's a word out there to describe my man crush on him. He's hit the 3 when we needed, and the thing I love the most, and was worried about, was how he'd handle the number one guy type role. He showed his ability to be "That guy." He was selfish late in the games, which is exactly what a star player of a team needs to be. He drives with authority. Unlike Martin (Not dis respecting Martin, I was a fan of the way he handled things), but when Harden drives, he drives with authority. He doesn't flail like Martin, he doesn't just count on the whistle for two free throws. He goes in expecting not to get the call, and tries to finish, and if he gets the call, he expects an and one, he doesn't expect to miss on the drive. He's an extremely talented player, with a high basketball IQ, and I believe those TO's were a fluke tonight.

(A) - Lin - I love the way Lin's played so far. He's a scrapper, high IQ, and does the same as Harden. He attacks the basket strong, while still keeping an eye out for possible pass outs. Would have more assists, if our players would be hitting their shots, but that's not the case to start off the season. Hopefully he can hit those open jumpers, as teams are so far leaving him room. Sometimes he tries to create too much, but that's what point guards who make risky passes at times are going to do. The important thing is he makes smart decisions for the most part, and makes passes that most point guards don't see.

(B-)Parsons - Slow start offensively, however in no way should that be an issue to panic on him. He's what we need. A man that can play GREAT defense on a 3, or a smaller 4 if necessary. He's done a great job rebounding, and fighting for loos balls, etc. He works hard, and if he can start hitting his 3's like we know he's capable of, he can be HUGE for Harden and others. I like the idea of playing him at the 4 at times. Not only will this allow a great defender guarding a smaller 4, or a mid sized 4, it'll also spread the floor and allow more room for Harden etc to drive, and a kick out opportunity which will make them pick their poison.

(C)Morris - Well, he struggled heavily in game one, and the beginning of game two. Obviously I was frustrated, but he showed real maturity bouncing back the way he did. Hopefully this is the Morris we'll see more often than not. If he doesn't start hitting that 3 consistently, I'd like to see him line up around the basket more than just hanging at the 3. He's shown a great sign of offensive rebounding, and solid athleticism.

(C+) Patterson - First game back, still not 100 percent. If, and I don't see why he wouldn't, if he can hit that mid range jump shot, that could go a long with with Harden/lin and Patterson in a pick and roll. The 3 experiment...we'll see how that goes. Again, I'd like to see it a little more, but if he doesn't hit it, he needs to be back in the Scola spot, ready to hit a normal mid range jump shot. He showed great sign of athleticism tonight, fighting for rebounds etc. I can't wait to see him at 100 percent.

(B+) Asik - Well, his offense is pretty much what we thought it would be. But man, he's handled the boards like a man among boys. He was a HUGE factor in tonight's game, and protected the rim like we brought him in to do. He plays physical, and does what it takes to grab every rebound or at least get a hand on it. Hopefully our coaches can work on him developing a small low post game, but his defense and rebounding is why we brought him here, and he's done a great job.

(D) Bench - Didn't want to write another novel as I have on other pages, so I'll group this one up. Delfino had a great first game, extremely clutch, but had a rough game two. He was forcing a few 3's, so hopefully we can get him better looks, more open looks. Tony Douglas - I like his quickness, but has struggled heavily the first two games. I hope he can settle down, and play within the offense. He seems to be forcing the issue, as if he has to make amazing passes. Just run through the offense, and he'll begin to show some promise IMO.

Inactives - Smith played a great game one, can't wait to see him more. As for Jones, I'd like to see him get some playing time, but we'll see how skip chooses to handle the rotation.

Again, I don't like reviewing or giving players grades this early in the season, but I figured I'd post my thoughts, not like it matters to most.

1 person likes this.
  12. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

Tony D? Oh you mean Tony Ouglas, cuz he has no D.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think you mean Tony Uglas because he has no O or D.

3 people like this.
  14. Mariachi ROCKET

Must need replacement PG, someone that can sink there shots and create and assist, ala Shaun Livingston!

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I actually read your whole post - twice. Nice job!

#15 jtr, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  16. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Sooooooo funny!

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The bench will improve. The is so much youth over there that are untapped yet unproven. It's a long season and some those guys will get a chance to prove themselves.

18. deshen

deshen Member

Morris should be B+, this guy can score, rebound. He is not a star player, he made mistakes, but he can get his work done. He is still young and can only improve with time.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Every game gives the fans more data points. Bad first game. Good second game. But I do agree with you. Everyone on the roster will get better as the season progresses. Except Harden - how do you improve on perfection? Hopefully we will see.