1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need to trade Steve (with apologies to MacBeth)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Nov 13, 2003.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, first off, this isn't a knock on Steve (I sure hope this doesn't turn into another Steve bashing thread)...Lord knows I've defended him plenty of times on this board.

However, if the Rockets are REALLY committed to making Yao the focal point of the offense, they'll need to trade Steve. The two cannot co-exist on the same team.

Steve has gone from savior of the Rockets to "pass it to Yao every time" in less than two seasons and was given a max contract after an injury plagued third season, so he obviously was given the green light by the Rockets to be "the man". You'll have to forgive him if he still thinks that he should be the primary offensive option on the team.

Yao is an excellent player...The court vision, the intelligence, the defensive intensity, the unstoppable baseline spin move. This boy's got some skeeeelz. There's just one problem, though. While everybody and their grandma thinks that Yao should be the first option, I'm not sure that he thinks he should be the first option. Win or lose, Rockets fans will look at the stats for Yao and see if he gets enough shots. They did it last year, they're doing it now, and they'll keep doing it. They'll always have the age old ideology of "It's a big man's game" to fall back on as well as a future hall of fame center. If it were Vernon Maxwell that led us to two consecutive championships, perhaps the fans would be singing a different tune. Rockets fans clearly, though understandably, have a big man bias...

However, the reason Hakeem got the ball in the post every time down the court was because he was clearly the best player on the team, so he had to get the ball. While an argument can be made that Yao is the Rockets best player, you can't say that he is clearly 100% head and shoulders better than Steve, and that's what's holding him back. I'm sure even Yao thinks that Steve is the main guy on the team. He's too humble to make himself the man. He had to be the man in China because his teammates sucked donky balls. If Yao is clearly, without a doubt, the best player on the team, then he'll have to get the ball to him.

If the Rockets really, truly want to make Yao the focus of the team, they need to trade Steve. I'm not saying trade him right now. Trading Steve would be considered a more "long term" move, as if to tell Yao that it's officially his team. I think it should happen in the offseason when his BYC status is up. As long as Steve Francis is on the team, though, he will be the number one option on offense, whether you want to admit it or not.

I'll root for the Rockets no matter who's on the team, but in my opinion, it's either Yao or Steve. It can't be both.

2. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

A-Train,

I recall a few parades over the last few years in downtown Los Angeles, and they had two stars, no? :D

I think there is room for them both. It's a symbiotic relationship, they each divert defensive attention from the other.

3. danjojo

danjojo Member

I just threw up....

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'd be willing to trade Steve only after this year is over. I think the Rockets and JVG need a full year to evaluate and see if Francis will be able to fit in with Yao. Right now Francis is doing fine, but he is obviously not the perfect PG compliment to Yao. His inability to throw a nice pass into the post is his most glaring weakness.

5. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Just because we won that way with Hakeem doesn't mean we have to do it that way again.

It's more about team chemistry and Yao needs to get some balls if he has to worry about who is the best before he demands the ball more.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

C'mon A-Train, you have to agree that as long as Steve is willing to play along with Yao and the rest of the squad nicely, there is no need to trade him.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think you have to trade Francis for Yao to realize that he is "the one" on this team. I think Yao just needs to mature over time and start making plays. Once he does that things will work out for themselves. This team just needs patience and time for Yao to develop.

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Really....what would that do?

Honestly...trading Steve would be r****ded. I'm glad that you guys are not GM's in the league that I love.

First off....here is an idea

We all want Yao to be the man and start dominating this league the way we KNOW he can. Instead of blaming other players for his sub par performance, hold YAO accountable sometimes. Yao get his touches...period. Yes, there are times when he gets a double team and zones are played against him to limit his touches, but to say that Steve needs to go before his real potential is met really doesn't make any sense to me at all. Yao has to decide whether or not he is going to dominate this league and trading our best player isn't going to make Yao any better.

Memo to Yao: Be more aggressive!

It's no ones fault that Yao hasn't hit his peak in YEAR 2...come on!

How about keeping this unit together for a couple of years and see what happens. And please.....once in a while, hold Yao responsible for his OWN actions.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What I am hoping for is that Steve learns how to modify the game so he can play a real 2-man game with Yao.

Right now, Steve comes down the court and thinks either "pass" or "score." He needs to become more of a playmaker, someone who can do all the other things that make a great player.

If Steve can't change and develop chemistry with Yao, then I think it may be inevitable. But it's still early.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

it's too early to do what you're suggesting. Yao may never develop that killer instinct to dominate. It's possible. If that never happens, then we have to determine whether we can win with Yao as No 2 guy and steve No. 1. We can't rule that out until it has run its course.

i understand your reasoning, but the Rockets would be taking too great of a risk at this point.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

5-1

jesus christ.

No.

12. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

There's no reason to think that two of them can't co-exist. Just give them time before you trade either one off the team. We should be blessed with two all stars on our team.

13. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Thank you...

14. tozai

tozai Member

Thank you. This is getting stupid.

15. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

16. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

You guys are being too picky. Both Yao and Steve played pretty good so far. Yao's presence in the paint has a lot to do with Rocket's improvement in defense this year. And Steve can take over the game when needed. So why don't we just sit back and enjoy it?

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I Agree. I think it's r****ded to trade Steve.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we need Steve and Yao to co-exist for right now. I think they are a good compliment. The NJ game was a prime example. Neither was playing well, until the final moments. That showed that Steve is ready and capable of taking over a game by himself when it's needed.

Richard Jefferson of the Nets said it better than I could. He claimed that Stevie is capable of destroying another team.

Yao is great and should be the focal point, but there will come a time in some games, especially in the playoffs when a player might need to put the team on his back and take over. Right now Steve is the best option to take over. He has the attitude, fortitude, and ability to do that. Yao has the skills, but still needs the conditioning and attitude to become that player. Until that happens we need to have Steve on the team.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Running With Scissors

20. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I think this has been beat to death. Did JVG tell Steve to take more shots?

IMO, Yao IS expecting the ball. The guys not green. Last year Yao set screens. This year (so far), he's scrambling to get open. He is always locked on the man with the ball with his hand out. The problem is, the man with the ball might not be prepared to pass it, for fear of turning it over.

I think Jeff just want's the team to play smart.

This team is in transition. Jeff will have them play to their ability. He won't truly have an ideal of how much talent he has and how to use it until time wears in.

I missed the point. The solution is to break things up. This comes after the team is improving. Is it not possible to combine too talents in one team? It has been done in the past.

I disagree about rooting for them, but disagree with the rest.

No hard feelings:(