1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets fired their social media manager today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 29, 2015.

1. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

hahah how many people here are the same rocket fans who want player x,y,z off the team after a couple bad games in a row?

2. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

I wasnt offended by it.... I love the rockets and hate the mavs... But i also didnt find it as hilarious as most ppl make it out to be. Just saying.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's a double standard because they're... wait for it... two different people.

Pretty sure if Social Media Guru homeskillet put this team together, he'd be getting a little more lenience in this department too.

Lesson learned: don't be "edgy" when you're easily replaceable.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Asian Sensation

^^^ from game 5 thread

Change of heart in less than 24 hrs?

#mercurial

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have a theory that people just like to release their pent up negativity. When they see something they don't agree with (on TV, on facebook, on twitter), they feel "Finally, this is the moment where I can enforce my values on the world!" The result is someone losing their job for an innocent comment, and thousands of people feeling fleeting vindication for 30 seconds.

Too deep?

Anyway, not a wise tweet to make since we live in idiocracy.

Twitter continues to lead social justice!

7. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

J.R. Is the rockets twitter guy?!? It all makes sense now.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, no. Those were his comments.

More from Chad:

The problem with running a team social account instead of your personal account, it's taken like it's the view of the organization. Of course the organization, Mr. Alexander is very animal friendly. That was not my intent. I didn't think people would take it literal, that we want to go out and shoot horses. I was trying to make a playful jab at the Mavs and the only people I wanted to be upset about it were Mavs fans.

He admits it backfired. He has no regrets and no bitterness. He says he'll continue to be a Rockets fan.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except they are getting more backlash from firing the guy than the tweet itself. Ironically if they cared about their brand maybe they would have realized the fans voice counts.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Then it's... wait for it... bull****.

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am disappointed in the Rockets decision to terminate Chad. This is Sports. Sports is where men go to compete, sometimes competition leads to trash talking and such. Did that post offend a race? no. Was it targeted at a gender?? no. How about a particular religion? no. So. What criteria was used to determine the level of offensiveness of this tweet? Frankly I think a few thin skinned panzies whined. Panzies that wouldn't know what a sense of humor was if it bit them on the ass. Yet the Rockets cater to them and terminate this guy. If you were offended by this week turn the channel to Dancing with the starts of Keeping up with the cuntdashians. There is no room for you in the world of sports.

To you Houston Rockets. Nice double standard. Fat boy can talk / joke about getting diddled at the gynecologist and gets a pass. This guy tweets about putting the mavs out of their misery and gets crucified.

What about those of us who thought that was damn funny and clever. Our opinions and enjoyment of that tweet carry no weight? Only the vocal wippy whops who have a vagina where their penis used to be are recognized and pacified?

Just insane.

1 person likes this.
  12. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

Agreed. The tweet wasn't that funny but I still liked it and felt it was banter to go along with the rivalry and win. The Mavs response just seemed like a somewhat desperate attempt to get a jab in there on their way out. "Kick us while we're down, even after our back-and-forth the last two seasons."

A man lost his job over something small because someone behind the Mavs twitter account was sad about their season ending and couldn't handle the final, painful nail after the Rockets came out on top in their rivalry. I guess it's a good tactic... cry while you're down so the winner can't enjoy his victory. I take comfort in knowing the Rockets players don't give a damn how the Mavs twitter guy feels. The win is what matters. Next.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Then you're... Wait for it... Naive

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Here's the deal; guy wasn't fired because of public outrage. Guy was fired because he forgot that his owner is one of the richest animal rights activists in the world; the same owner who once dressed the cheerleaders of his team in PETA shirts for multiple seasons. I'm sure there's one major rule in that organization and that is to stay away from that subject. Dude made a joke about putting down a horse...connect the dots.

No, the joke isn't that offensive and a little funny, but when the man paying your salary gets offended by something you do, you're gone...plain and simple.

15. acjeitherocket

wow...some serious bullsh!t right there.

16. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I don't think it's ridiculous. he did a major stupid. Gloting is also pretty low rent as an employee of the team.

plus, it's too early, we haven't accomplished much beating that team over there. They're not very good.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is crazy
    I pray for the guy . . .no way he should have been fired behind that.

Rocket River

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lol man I thought the same thing for a second.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The bold part is key. But not only is it taken as a view of the organization, its sold as an organizational statement by other media outlets like BSPN, and such in order the say "The Rockets said this on their official Twitter" instead of saying "Chad of the Rockets Twitter account said this".

I personally was a bit worried that the Rockets were walking a fine line with how they were trying to provide entertaining commentary instead of just keeping a very business like marketing approach... which is what that Twitter account is really designed for. I knew it was only a matter of time media outlets used this against them... which they've already done a couple times on a smaller scale & made it seems as though the statement was coming from Morey or Les himself.

Kinda unfair for the Rockets to put this on Chad when really they were the ones allowing him to have fun with essentially organizational public relations & marketing.

So IMO the firing was weak sauce. Tad Brown should take the blame for telling his company PR & Marketing to go crazy and then slapping their hands later when their message creates controversy. That's on him.... not on Chad or whoever else.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm getting... wait for it...