1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The ROCKETS club of 38 and 7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Jedster

Jedster Member

You're right, but I based my expectations on his talent level, not so much his pay.

2. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Wondering how many of those players did it against the top ranked team in the league - or even playoff contenders.

3. Xfinity

Xfinity Member

16 & 8, 15 & 10? For basically a rookie who was not drafted? I think that is a bit much of an expectation. Those kind of numbers are really for lottery or #1 overall pick who actually lived up to their expectation in their rookie season.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It appears that the search filter on the basketball-reference.com site isn't working correctly.

If you modify that query and add in the additional search criteria of position = "F-G" you get additional results. Of all the results, only Lebron James is actually listed as "F-G". 15 other players are listed with a postion of "G" or "G-F" but for some reason they weren't included in the original query that was posted.

The additional players are:

Kenny Anderson
    Vince Carter
    Jamal Crawford
    Larry Hughes
    Barron Davis
    Sherman Douglas
    Richard Hamilton
    Terry Porter
    Jason Richardson
    Isaiah Rider
    Alvin Robertson
    Rodney Stuckey
    Isaiah Thomas
    John Wall
    Mo Williams

http://www.basketball-reference.com...l=45&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=player

I'm not sure why those guys didn't show up in the original query.

5. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Who the **** is Ricky Davis?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

aelliott,

torocan's list in the OP was for players (like Lin) who have done it TWICE. His query appears to be the same as yours. So indeed, there is only 12.

That said, B-R only works until 1986. I'm pretty sure it's been done TWICE several times before...Magic and Oscar come to mind...plus, Calvin Murphy.

fwiw...Harden's game against Dallas still didn't show up in that list, because it was OT. So, tinman is forgiven.

Last point, we should probably spell Isiah Thomas's name correctly in your list, since there is now a guard named Isaiah Thomas.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Good god. Your expectations are so unrealistic. Just for fun you should go to basketball reference and search for players with a season like the one you expect from Lin.

8. torocan

torocan Member

For what it's worth, even if you include Harden with unlimited minutes, he only put 38/7 or better up ONCE.

That said, he's also had lots of high scoring games, but the assists usually suffer as a result.

Any game with 38+ points is a very impressive game. Doing that WITH assists is a lot more rare.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Lin and I hope he has as much success as possible.

But he's no Sleepy Floyd. He's also no Harden.

I think Lin has done a good job so far, and has potential to do tons better and will be a sensational player. I like Lin with this team over Dragic, and probably over Lowery too, though the jury's still out. He won't carry the team on his back night in and night out like Harden will. But I think the back court of Lin and Harden will continue to improve. They will take some time get it all worked out.

There's no reason to hate on any of the Rockets on the team at this time. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses. But I like what we have going forward and believe their ceiling is incredibly high. We aren't anywhere near that ceiling yet, but I don't see any reason we can't get there.

And I have to spread some rep before giving it to Tinman again, or I'd rep the OP.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

Still a decent list.

11. heypartner

right, I was just commenting about tinman's Rocket list not including Harden, which was once or more.

12. heypartner

That's a list of people who have done it once. torocan's list was those (like Lin) who have done it twice. There are only 12 dating back to 1986

btw: I'm sure Isiah Thomas, Oscar Robertson, Calvin Murphy and more have done it twice, but B-R's database only goes back to 1986. I'm willing to bet the full list of those who have done it twice (given the high scoring in the 70s and 80s) adds another 12 to torocan's list.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Sorry, I missed the "Twice" part.

14. split41

split41 Member

Lol, this made me laugh pretty hard.

I'm happy for Lin's accomplishment, I hope he is consistent now that he's got a taste. This young team has so much upside, it's an emotional rollercoaster watching them develop. I'd like to think that with a good PF we could become, in a few years, a well-oiled unit like the Spurs. Exciting times.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder!

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

If your not old enough to know you should google it.

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I know it's only your 6th post but I thought it was very funny and it made me laugh.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the Legend of Ricky?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MezCclCSjNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. jocar

jocar Member

Wow, givin Lin some love?
    And I thought you didn't even like the guy this whole time.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Listen here bub..

As I stated in my first post to the Player only fans.

He will receive praise when he earns it.

you might want to jump like a pointer sister if this guy dribbles the ball, but us cluthfans, the pure ones, don't give credit when credit is not earned.

so jocar, this is coming from a dude with moses malone status.
    you know who moses is?

So to all you player only fans, a storm is coming, you better batten down the hatches.

the 99ers are here to stay cause we are loyal to the original reason clutch fans was created.