1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Civil War

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by perfectweapons, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

It stems back from Jeremy Lin signing in the first place. A lot of people wanted to keep Goran Dragic, even Clutch himself has expressed this. Although some posters have been intolerant of Jeremy and making all those "jokes", others strictly criticize his game.

Some people think Yao Ming was overrated as well because he's "Asian" when really being Chinese ($$$) is what it's really about, but at least he stepped up and played at an All-star level.

It goes both ways, and let's be real, no doubt, Jeremy's Lin's specific ethnic background (Chinese/Taiwanese)helped him getting signed to that deal.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

No, thanks. Let Lin become someone's turnover problem. Want a real shot at winning the remaining 3 games? Bench him for good.

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

In response to the earlier posts... This kind of racist garbage makes you wonder about the vitriol. There probably are some racists here against Lin.

Anyway I'm so disappointed tonight... disappointed in Lin, blowing the lead (again), mismanagement on all fronts, by the players and the coaches. Total disappointment.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i blame mchale for putting lin in that situation.

he should know by now that lin CAN NOT be trusted.

yet, mchale defies logic.

serves him right that lin played a major role in him not landing another HC contract with the rockets.

5. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

And some names just flashed through my head that whipping boys were quite a few when Yao still played for the Rockets.

Rafer Alston, Luther Head, even Yao himself was sometimes a whipping boy, and a scapegoat for the losses. Rafer was pretty frantic at times and bricked a lot of ill-advised 3s that drove Clutchfans crazy.

6. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

it's just a smoke screen to cover a big elephant.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

8. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Dragic was gone regardless. He wasn't going to stay. That's why we signed Lin. Too many of you keep forgetting that. Dragic chose Phoenix over Houston. Houston didn't choose Dragic over Lin.

9. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Yes, I don't know why it always come up. Dragic had his Dynex packed even before they negotiated and way before Lin's name come up.

10. Jt29

Jt29 Member

I would like to have him on my team too if thats what it all cost to have his service :grin: there are worse nba players than Lin, lets not forget.

11. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Situation was different when yao was playing. Van gundy sticked to his game plan n didnt change because of another superstar arrival. Van gundy didnt SUDDENLY accomodate his game plan upon that star arrival. Van gundy has a principle. Mchale doesnt. He is clueless n too much suck up to harden n morey.

12. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Obviously, you typed this in the heat of the moment. I am also furious with Lin for his idiotic mishandling of such an important moment, one game after he committed a similar stupidity.

However, had he not screwed up, we wouldn't have automatically won the series. Also, had he not screwed up, there's no guarantee - given our love of crapping our pants and blowing leads down the stretch - that we would have won this game.

And I don't think you can compare this error which resulted in a loss in a first-round game to one which lost a world series game.

And he didn't "literally" cost us the season. It's 3-1. I have little faith in this team and its coaching staff now, but historically the Rockets have come back from such a deficit before.

But unfortunately I believe you are right about Lin. I supported him all season, but I've lost faith in him. I don't think you can win a championship with him playing a significant role. For such an intelligent guy, he seems to have a very low basketball I.Q.

I'm pretty bummed right now.

13. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Finally someone with sense on this forum and not a history revisionist.

14. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Is it any better to jack the ball up 35 times and attempt to get calls via flopping? Lin does some boneheaded things but Harden is the real reason we're losing.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Stop with the racism accusations. You're allowed to criticize someone for sucking at their job without it being because of their skin color. Now I'm not condoning booing him in Game 5. That's way too much. You boo him the first time he returns to Toyota Center in another team's jersey. I'm ok with that.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but all season long I've been mostly restrained when it came to Lin. I criticized him for poor play, particularly when he had that horrific stretch in the middle of the season. And I was furious with him for fundamental screwups like jumping in the air while holding the ball or stepping on the line when shooting a three.

But I also defended his overall play. I pointed out how he was one of the only decent outside shooters on this team(at least early in the season). I even compared his game to a young Steve Nash on more than one occasion. Mind you, I never put him in Nash's league, but the style was very similar. So I am no Lin hater by any stretch.

But the playoffs are where you make your name and Lin has been a borderline disaster this postseason. Yes, he was clutch in OT in Game 1 and made that hustle play in OT in Game 3 to set up Daniels' shot. But that does not make up for the horrible decisions he's made the rest of the time. The intentional foul at the end of Game 2. The blown layup late in Game 3. The turnover late in OT in Game 3. The ISO dribble dribble nonsense in the 4th quarter of Game 4 that sparked the Blazers' comeback. And of course, the turnover late in the game when everyone in the arena and at home knew he needed to call a timeout.

It's not hyperbole to say that Lin cost us the game last night. He nearly cost us Game 3. And you could even make the case that he at least prevented us from having a shot at Game 2. At the very least, we should be 2-2 right now with home court advantage and the momentum and heavy favorites to move on to Round 2(where the Mavs might be waiting for us instead of the Spurs). Instead we're on the verge of blowing a series we should win and p-ssing away a golden opportunity to make a long playoff run. Excuse me if I'm not going to give Lin a pass for contributing heavily to that choke job.

1 person likes this.
  16. perfectweapons

The racist stuff is just a bunch of babies trying to defend their golden cow. Just deal with the fact that everyone with any basketball sense knew Lin was not a capable player when the pressure is on. Your golden cow is not even worthy of being on the floor. He seems like a nice guy, but he is frantic and scared to death. Meanwhile a guy comes up from the D league and has more poise than Lin. Harden is not playing well but he has an entire defense bent on stopping him. Lin can not simply do the simple easy basketball things a point guard should be able to do. Every time he comes in the game you can kiss our lead goodbye. He will miss a layup and turn the ball over 2 times and what do ya know the Blazers are only down by 4. Nothing to do with race.

17. cson

cson Contributing Member

Lin is a kid. He had an great rookie year and we all thought/hoped it was more than that. He can be a great player, just not there yet. That's the reality.

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think there is a secret civil war between Harden and Howard. It will come to light.

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Our house has cheered for his success since the moment we signed him....somewhere this season we both saw what we saw....this guy is continually trying to "prove" himself by doing things that go against common sense. He is not an elite player in basketball IQ basics. He went against the coaches' instructions to "push the ball forward" or hell JUST HOLD THE BALL and get a time out ! Please get rid of him ASAP Morey...or dump him in the D League. Please no more of this !

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There's a huge gap between being on track to becoming a great player and not being able to make fundamental basketball plays. Lin right now is firmly entrenched in the latter category. If he was somewhere in the middle, I think we'd all be fine with that.

All season long he's been jumping in the air while holding the ball with nowhere to go. He's been stepping on the 3-point line when shooting from the outside. He's been missing layups. He's driven into traffic in the paint with no clue what to do. And he's been prone to dribbling too much instead of initiating the offense.

And that's just the regular season. That's not even getting into the bonehead plays in this series(some of which stem from his regular season struggles). When this keeps happening, it's hard to not conclude that maybe we're dealing with a player who doesn't belong in the NBA. At least not beyond being a 3rd string point guard. Which if I'm not mistaken was what he was in New York before Linsanity.