1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard: You’ve Been Had

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spdngyns69, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Stevie was 2...attribute to the fact its after 2am...lol... still 1 and 2 with no rings. Bottom line is the draft is a crapshoot - sometimes you get a bron or wade - sometimes you get 'darkoed'.... I'll put my faith in DMs wheelin n dealin over tankin and hopin....

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

...and sometimes you should keep the #8 (if its Rudy Gay) and sometimes u shouldnt trade a bucha picks for #8 (if its Eddie Griffin).... crapshoot....

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Morey has accumulated as much as he can and if he can't get Howard or Paul with what he has it is time to let all those lottery picks get on the court and show what they've got. Adding another piece that will help us get a 7th or 8th seed is pointless bc we will be taking a step away from potentially getting a superstar. If people don't want what we have to offer right now why would they want it next yr if you throw in another mid round pick?

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Number 8 guys not top 5 guys. Nobody is winning a championship with Rudy Gay as their best player and the Grizz even got better last yr when he went down.

5. double d

double d Contributing Member

Exactamundo! Morey hasn't had a chance to pick a Top 5 yet. If he was able to pull Landry, Brooks, and Patterson out of iffy draft positions, then imagine his ability to not f*** up a Top 5 pick - as opposed to all the teams that picked busts, that everyone here keeps bringing up...

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Ahh...

the more and more I hear about these the more I come to the conclusion its another publicity stunt to draw attention to the mediocre Rockets and create influence by Morey.

I mean, the Rockets are in the middle of the NBA pack, which is the WORST place to be. The best teams will dominate the front pages, and the worst teams will dominate the sideswipes and inserts.

I guess the most exciting thing to discuss about the Rockets is probably Kevin Martin going off for 40 points...

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson are going to turn this sort of thinking around EXTREMELY quick. We have two all-stars in the making... I hope we look to deal our vets for draftpicks at some point. What picks do the Nets have left? They would still LOVE to have Luis Scola...

1 person likes this.
  8. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

So were Blake griffin, dwayne wade, and Tim Duncan :rolleyes:

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Tbh I think DWill and the Nets is a much better chance for us than CP3, because I think when Prokhorov realises he can't keep DWill, his greatest interest might actually be producing a 45-50 win team for the Brooklyn opening, simply to have a team that potential fans think have a chance to win on any given night.

You need to build your fan base on a relocation, if they start off bad, he'll have set the tone to forever be the Clippers of NY.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fantastic blog - nailed every bit of it.

Some of it is unfortunate for us fans, but to me, he nailed it all.

DD

11. BreakYoSelfFool

Source?

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Les got T-mac via trade and Yao by draft so he's clearly spoiled. He also enjoys taking advantage of other teams when they need to move someone (Ron Artest, Jordan Hill, Kyle Lowry, and the list goes on) This is a predatory stance and it's how the organization moves. They're gambling while remaining competitive and to say it's impossible is an outright lie and a sign of sports fan frustration (and possibly sexual frustration?). We can go on and become the Memphis Grizzlies/Toronto Raptors/Wizards/Etc. and suck for awhile and then get to the playoffs and crap out, and the same goes for a lot of teams that do the same thing. There is still no promise in that and it's essentially a gamble that sometimes pays off.

If anything, by trying to remain competitive it's the ONLY factor right now that makes Houston attractive because it means we won't gut the roster once a star gets here. So I don't know if it's fair to say there are TWO WAYS to get to a championship contender when at the end of the day it's a big crap shoot.

At the end of the day, I think the years when Yao were here, especially when he was injured, the team was stuck in milk-Yao-for-money mode, and it wasn't a true reflection of what Morey was capable of. With Yao gone, the front office has the green light to go seek more talent with more money and we're going to see something good come out of it.

Also since when did sucking help the Rockets? Last time we tried that we had Steve Francis and those years led to absolutely nothing worthwhile except a burnt out fan base. So yeah, I think it's time to stop over reacting and see what comes out of this year before pinning the blame on the owner and management, when they haven't really been trying until now. I mean, they haven't had to try. They're always had Yao and honestly when you have Yao, even on the bench, you're making money and it's not worth building a contender. At the moment however, it's time to change directions and they likely know that.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

One last thing I need to say is that the guy who wrote that piece was DEAD ON about Morey treating players like assets. It's good that he isn't afraid to act on deals and treat it with less personal bias when it comes time to pull the trigger, but you never say something like that when you're in charge. You never demoralize your players like that and you at least give them some courtesy and treat them politely with respect.

14. Raven

Raven Member

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Yeah that 13th pick... never mind that #1 pick from 1992, or that #3 pick from 2001. They weren't important ;)

16. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yes, he doesn't want to be a Hornet but he's DYING to be a Warrior. The logic is flawless.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that only one team in NBA history has ever had their top 4 lottery pick (all you're guaranteed if you have the worst record) lead them to a championship.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ah, I see your loophole with the lottery system being relatively young and raise you the Team who's top 4 lotto drafted player led them to a conference championship round. You don't have to have the worst record to get the number 1 pick either.

Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose led their team to conference finals. Not too shabby.

Dwight Howard got his team to the finals, Lebron as well

Actually in the last 3 years there has been a top 4 lottery pick That leads his team to a conference championship.

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The writer of this article has it wrong. Shouldn't we at least see what we have before we start forecasting doom and gloom? In reality this is the first full season that we've examined tanking as a viable option. The injuries to Yao and Tmac have made it seem longer but as long as we had their contracts we we're going to ride it out and try. Rebuilding officially starts Dec 9. judge Morey on the results of what happends after that.

The funny thing is we haven't even played one game to see the layout of the conference or the division and people are already talking about tanking. We haven't seen one minute of Morris, Flynn or McHale as a coach.

19. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

TBH, I'm very excited to see Morris play. He's one of them guys I have a gut feeling would become something better than just a role player. Hope I'm right...

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All this tank talk makes for interesting theoretical discussion, but that's all it is as long as Les refuses to embrace that course.

I do agree with the thread poster in that we dont have real valuable players or picks to trade. We do however have several of both. I do agree with Carl Herrera in that the target player having desire to come here is a big plus. Unless Houston happens to be his, or maybe his spouses hometown, selling a player on the idea that this is the place to be will be difficult. We dont have the star player card or the super-star in waiting card either.

But the NBA has had a good share of unliely things happen in its history, so the fact the odds are low doesnt make getting what we wont, for what we have to offer entirely impossible. We also have one of the better GM's at finding these kinds of deals. So maybe, just maybe, events will spin us out of mediocrity.