1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets are currently #3 in FG% Defense FWIW

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DallasThomas, Nov 23, 2013.

1. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I think a little too much focus is being put on the PPG allowed. Since the Rockets play at a very high pace offensively, the total number of possessions in their games is a lot higher than average. This gives the appearance of a poor defense when you're just looking at points allowed.

Here's a link to peruse:

http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamGene...e=Opponent&sortField=OPP_FG_PCT&sortOrder=ASC

Also worth noting, they're about average when you look at defensive efficiency:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/false

Of course, none of these stats are without their flaws...and none can really adjust for the effect of a team's offensive gameplan on its defensive numbers. For instance, nothing really accounts for the fact that the slower you play, the less of a chance your opponent has to get in a rhythm.

Really, I just wanted to show that other than (the virtually worthless stat) PPG Allowed, the Rockets aren't very bad on defense at all.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

FG% is a horrible tool by which to measure defense.

3. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

That's great and all but opponents are lighting the Rockets up from 3 so it don't matter.

Rockets allow 9.2 made 3's a game. That's the 4th worst in the league. Only Philly, OKC, and Miami allow more 3's a game.

4. DallasThomas

Not as bad as opponent's points per game.

What metric do you suggest? Something involving penises, as usual?

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

Last time I checked, games are won and lost by how many POINTS you have. Not how efficient you score.

It's true that evaluating a defense requires more analysis than just PPG, but to say PPG is a worthless stat is absurd. By the way, I recommend you use eFG% instead of just FG% since it takes into account the 1.5x value of the 3 point shot.

It's nice that the Rockets can hold teams to a low shooting percentage, but it doesn't help much if they can't take care of the ball and giftwrap points for the other team.

Now the question is are the turnovers fluky and something we expect to lower, or is that low defensive FG% fluky and we should be expecting it to regress to the mean?

6. DallasThomas

I think that would be reflected in the DEFF EFF, no?

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Horrible, really? What would you suggest penises?

8. AXG

AXG Member

Not bad company to be in.

9. KWilson71

KWilson71 Member

I've noticed this as well. Our guards seem to try levitate to the paint and we end up giving up some poorly contested 3's. Very frustrating.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Rocket's are 6th best team in opponent eFG%.

11. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

TURNOVERS.

You are losing a possession and the other team is gaining a possession. This is so important.

1 person likes this.
  12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Problem is DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING. We force teams into misses, but we cant grab the damn defensive rebound and other teams get second or third chances.

13. DallasThomas

Yeah, turnovers are a big part of defense. And that's another factor stemming from the offensive style of play.

But I was looking for opponents' eFG% when I made this, and couldn't find any better links than this one:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-effective-field-goal-pct

...which ranks them at #4. Not sure how reliable that site is though, anyone know of a better source?

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm shocked that so many people in this thread still aren't familiar with the concept of points given up per possession as the most basic, fundamental metric for assessing team defense.

PPG vs FG%? Its 2013, people.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What are points given up per possession? Are these penises?

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

When we get teams in a half court offense, out defense has been okay for the most part. Our problem is turnovers. Like McHale said in the post game interview, there is no defense for a turnover especially if the turnover happens and kick starts a break for the other team. And when we turnover the ball 20+ times, its a double negative because the team isn't getting shots and most time the other team is getting a layup or uncontested 3 at the other end. 24 turnover and giving up 38 points off those turnovers are unacceptable.

17. DallasThomas

LOL...I'll admit I was being a little touchy earlier. Just kind of annoyed that you seemed to read the title but skip the OP. Sorry about that man.

18. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

this x100

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

38 points were scored off our turnovers

20. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Fixed