1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets and the Use of Screens

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

good somone has some sense around here and already bumped this thread, you guys that keep complaining about the rockets offense compared to others and mchale... need to look at MOREY hes the one that didnt want a solid pick & pop PF he wanted everyone to stand around at the 3 point line...

lin & harden even bev could run P&R all day drive kick out to PF or drive lane layup or throw alley to howard... when you have jones or asik in there it takes away so many plays

2. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

If we don't get a new coach then owner and GM are blind.

3. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

Reading your analysis regarding the stats posted by OP was very enlightening. Although I agree that the offense of Rockets is definitely one of the best in the league, but surely looking on ways to improve like developing screens can be examined, especially with how we did with the playoffs this year against Portland. Especially in cases where other teams will, for example, go on a 12-0 run on Rockets, so will good quality screens have an effect on making these incidence happen less?

The defense maybe another issue with their overall play, but we can't also neglect the chance of giving our players easier ways to score the basket, and if setting screens has the possibility of helping their game, then why not test it in a real game?

You cant definitely say a method doesn't work until it is tried in the court in regards to Rockets game. Even with these statistics and how cleverly you may argue how they work or don't, it really means nothing in real settings if its not being practice since you're just drawing your own conclusions.

Applying screens, until our players can do it in a heartbeat and perfectly, can be used during regular season as an experiment, and then their gazillion analysis can examine the result in just how efficient it is in regards to acquiring buckets.

Afterall, the ultimate goal here would be to provide more efficiency to score, which may mean lesser energy wasted on gaining buckets, lessening the chances of turning the ball over and increasing the scoring rate.

I don't think superior teams like spurs or heat is using screens for nothing, and not every player on court is a Lebron or a Tony Parker, everybody must be considered as well, so if these non-Lebron players can shoot better if you use the screens, then wont be be more logical to use it in frequency?

Again, we can't think of this as a single player case like in Harden or Howard, but more on the overall effect on the teams efficiency to score, and that means how screening and not screening can affect every player on the Rockets roster.

And I also would like to bring up another question, if screens also increases the chances of the bench gaining points?

Their skill is not at par with starting players, so every methods to help them score buckets must be applied, since their scoring capability is also vital in winning games. That is also an angle that I'm interested to see explored.:grin:

4. dookiester

dookiester Member

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Another jab at the rockets. Now this I've been saying forbyears, those puss ass picks McHale's train them to do. I noticed it exaggerarely with Patrick Patterson.

6. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

I don't think this is a useless thread at all. Gathering information on different b-ball styles other team uses is not something to be frown upon or even mocked. Afterall, even if Rockets org may have examine this angle already and doesn't think it works on their players, who is to say that us fans can't have a discussion about styles that other teams utilizes?

Exploring weaknesses and where a team might improve is clearly a more efficient way of utilizing this whole forum than anything else.

This is not even a complaint of how Rockets run their offense, but more on exploring the possibility that an effective screen may unload some of the burdens of scoring.

For example, just for example, in Harden's shooting percentages in games 1-5 during playoffs, it is clear that he is not as efficient as he is during the regular season (he did have double figures, but at the expense of overall shots taken which is so deplorable and so so SO not him during regular games) and he gets double guarded by opponents too, and thus has lesser room to get clear shots.

If the whole team was rigorously taught excellent screens since day one and had used it during the playoffs to help our superstar players (who is our main scorer) to move around, then what might have been the outcome of this playoff series?

And then this applies to everybody else on the floor, e.g Parsons, Lin, and other bench players who wasted a lot of shots.

7. hltiki

hltiki Member

sigh....

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Y'all are wrong. The only way to effectively run a PnR is to get Tony Parker.

9. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

BWAHAHAHAHA! You're so funny! Yeah, biggest screen ever. LOL :grin:

10. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

Hey, I just remembered a discussion in ( I can't recall which it was), but it was regarding screens, and they mention something about some illegal screens that often hides a foul, they even mention veteran players like Kevin Garnet, etc.

I also remember this one that says Kevin Garnett did an illegal/tough screens against Ray Allen that really knock the old guy and it was just a basketball game at the end, nothing personal, but it did the job.

I also notice, as a spur fan that I am, that Duncan uses these illegal screens all the time and he doesn't even get a whistle on it (almost everyone on that team at some point, especially the big players) and some points it out to the Spurs being really good on defense, that that's the way they play all year round and all refs knows their reputation, and also just the fact that refs cannot just whistle all the time when something like that happens, so they just let the game continue which is what usually happens.