1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] We're Still Waiting on Jadeveon Clowney.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FishBulb913, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pause meltdown.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

He went to the Golden Nugget last weekend. The drinks they serve have a healing power. Thank you Golden Nugget.

3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Clowney is a bust until he's not.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're a bust until you're not.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

jeez, Texans flagship station mocking Clowney

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hear from Jadeveon Clowney next on the Triple Threat. <a href="https://t.co/fhl4W84aNg">https://t.co/fhl4W84aNg</a> <a href="https://t.co/1xtGEwqud8">pic.twitter.com/1xtGEwqud8</a></p>&mdash; SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsRadio610/status/766029210880061440">August 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, they were doing so earlier today, those guys are trash. They already lost the Rockets with their r****ded BS, looks like they are working on pushing the Texans to 790 as well.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As brutal and unnecessary as it is for them to do that...he's shown himself to be incredibly fragile.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL.....Texans are going anywhere. They re-upped with 610 for another decade.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This sums it up. Unfortunately, I think the trend will continue.

11. ArtesticNature5

honestly clowney could be betteer than watt if he werent made from glass

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney getting off the ball quickly in run-stopping drill, looks explosive, no signs of knee issue</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/766278311991398400">August 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

^ good news

790 reported earlier, he abused a Saints lineman so bad, they questioned his pro-ability.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

I might be in the minority, but I don't consider underwhelming careers as "busts" when underperformance is wholly caused by injuries (much less such an assessment after merely 2 seasons). The bust label on Jadaveon is premature at this point. To each his own, but the advent of social media and the like calls for instant feedback and criticism, and I think it leads people to judge players far too early.

I label players "busts" when they are healthy enough to play and yet still cannot produce. Jadaveon may very well be a bust, but we should cross that bridge when we get there. 2 seasons is insufficient to come to such a conclusion. Has he been a bust to this point? That's semantics and largely personal opinion. My overriding point is that he is about to enter the 3rd year of his career, and that 2 years is too short to definitely label an entire career as a bust.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

So Greg Oden wasn't a bust? I agree it's too early to call him a bust considering he is still on the team but you could certainly call him that if he doesn't put his injuries behind him.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

It doesn't matter what his numbers are...he gets hurt too much, period. These ticky tack and major surgery are only going to increase with his age; can anyone name an athlete that has been hurt as much as Clown and suddenly became healthy and had a nice productive long career afterwards? Didn't think so...

He certainly has talent...unfortunately health is, in every aspect of life, more important than anything. He simply doesn't have it. Time to cut our losses and let someone else handle this disappointment year after year after his contract is up.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I bet the Chiefs wish they didn't have to be stuck with Travis Kelce.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

Oden is a tough case. It's easy to call him a bust when considering: 1) the 105 games he did play, and 2) the stars drafted after him. The fact is, we never really got to see what Oden could do. People can label him a bust by writing him off as injury-prone, but I think that ignores the harsh reality that a 7'0'' 270lb frame is not meant to withstand the physical stresses that a basketball court (and football, re: Clowney) causes on the body.

Some players hold up better than others, and I would guess luck and genetics plays a large role in that. But, the fact is this: basketball is very high impact when you consider not only the banging in the post, but that players are jumping as high as possible and landing on hardwood--not grass or another soft surface. To me, Oden is more of a (sad) case that never was, as opposed to a bust. But then again, this label is highly personal and different to everyone.

It's easy (and convenient) for armchair fans to lament on certain athletes as injury prone, but again, I think any injury prone risk is inherently exacerbated by the size of some of these athletes (as the Ringer article points out).

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Clowney might not be a bust...but the Texans pick at #1 was a bust, slight difference in the two. You cant blame Clowney because he cant perform due to injury, but the fact that the Texans used a #1 pick on an injured player = bust. It's the fact that the Texans got nothing in return that is the bust...not the fact that Clowney himself is a bust. I agree that the term "bust" should really be used for guys that are picked high, are healthy, but just never come close to expected value.

Im just using Clowney's name as an example here...Im pretty hopeful that he can have a huge impact for us.

1 person likes this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We'll show you this post in ten months. See how you feel then. Guy played 13 games last year and was quite good. The year before, he doesn't get hurt without he stupid grass system, which led to it being replaced. That led to microfracture.

I'm not ready to call him injury prone or give up on him. You shouldn't be either.

1 person likes this.