1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Reset Button...TWICE.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, May 10, 2009.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well, after my early morning depression session, I go out for drinks with wife and friends. Come back and see that Yao is out...again...for the season.

Boy, I had a great Rocket day today! :eek:

But instead of railing against Yao, I will just say....

HIT THE RESET BUTTON.

Many thought it was JVG who was running Yao into the ground. Now that we see that Yao is made of wet paper tissue...

HIT THE RESET BUTTON...TWICE.

The second time, is for T-Mac.

We gave this experiment ample time. We are NEVER going to see these two guys realize their potential. We are never going to realize what could have been. We are never going to see Yao be great and T-Mac will never be who he could of been with a little bit more heart.

Yep, its time to let them both go.

The key is packages, people!

AB with some Mac for something in the future. Yao and whatever for something nice.

Its time to get into 2010 mode. We have 19 months to do it. And I believe we can.

Its the quickest, shortest time period to get back to the point where we all want to see the Rockets. Thats at the top and being there for a long time.

If Donnie Walsh got the absolutely, positively, over the freakin cap by gabillion New York Knicks primed for the 2010 free agency period in 18 months, we can do it also.

Morey is a supposed genius. Lets get the ball rolling this summer.

The one problem is that both of these players are at their lowest value right now since they are practically an injury waiting to happen.

But if Morey is really good. If we true fans really want a championship...unless your name is Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, you are trade bait and I have absolutely no problems letting you go EVER to better my team.

I want to win. And I need results.

I love JVG. But I let him go. He had his chance. RA...one more year. POOF. Gone next year. Yao? 7 years. One great regular season. One second round appearance. The Franchise? I think not. See ya! T-Mac? Never getting out of the first round. Sulking at the end. Soft as melted ice cream like the other supposed "Franchise Player". Later for you.

Its time for a change. I am not a capologist. I am not a GM. I don't know how it can happen.

But what I do know is that if the Knicks can do it (and their payroll was near 130 and I KNOW we aren't near that), we can do it also.

Lets get the party started in July. I want to be in the 2010 sweepstakes.

I want to win in 2011 and beyond.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I read that thread.

And read MANY, MANY just like it on the NY Knicks forums for like um...10 years.

MSG would never allow losing seasons. Theory debunked!

NYC would never allow the Knicks to suck just to get better. Theory debunked!

And on and on and on....

Please. Where there is a WILL TO WIN, there is a way.

Maybe Morey should pick up the phone and dial up Walsh. Get a clue on how to get under the cap in 18 months...and he had a WHOLE ROSTER OF MAX PLAYERS...

AND

still was paying Allen Houston AND Larry Johnson!!!!!

:p

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Hold on buddy. How about ONE MORE CHANCE for them next year!! Ever heard of that song from Michael Jackson.."One More Chance." You should play that over and over again...it feels good. If they failed again next year...then it's "One Last Chance" or wait...."No More Chance," Good bye!

5. Raven

Raven Member

I admit. I've already been checking out a 2010 mock draft.

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

What is your thing about the Knicks? They have sucked because they have a horrible organization willing to take too many drastic chances for wins. If Lebron or DWade don't bite on heading to New York, the Knicks may not achieve championship aspirations until well into 2020.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How about we give Yao one week breaks (tmac can alternate) and let the lineup prepare like he's gone for playoffs in those pauses...

The injuries and timing are getting ridiculous.

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I' am not all the way with you yet, but I' am just about. I LOVE Yao as much as I liked any other Rocket I have rooted for but man, 7 years and all the injuries.... :(

9. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

*Australian accent*

TIME TO ABANDON SHIP MATE!

:rolleyes:

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He factors Yao Ming into the equation. If you can convince Yao not to take his player option for 2010 and let both his and TMAC's contracts expire, then you'd be $20-24 million under the cap and be in position to get Lebron, Wade, etc. Maybe you could get even more cap room if you hold off on resigning some of your own players until after you sign the big fish. Of course, it's still probably a long shot to get one of those players and you're putting all of your eggs in one basket. If you try to go that route and you can't land one of the coveted free agents, you're going to suck for awhile.

Anyway, the best chance at getting far enough under the cap is to let not just TMAC's contract expire, but Yao's as well (with him not picking up the option).

If there's any chance of Lebron or Wade coming here, the thought of them playing opposite Yao is a fantasy.

11. milkshake

milkshake Member

Talk about being grateful ...
    I'd be very happy to see Yao leave this fair-weather fan base. That's the real fantasy.

12. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Tough call. I think next year is our final opportunity to prove that the Tockets can get anywhere in te Yao era.

To be honest, I don't think we can particularly succeed next years. This is assuming that Yao has another injury next season, and Ron doesn'tresign due to Yao's current injury. None-the-less, it doesn't hurt trying to go deep into the playoffs next season because we don't have to resign Tmac or Yao however it's Yao's choice to pick up the option, not the Rox right?

Anyway, if you REALLY wanted to look to the future. The we could also trade Yao and T-Mac for some great prospects or Draft picks. This effectively makes us a lottery team, hopefully ready to get a good pickup in the draft.

In hindsight, keeping Rudy Gay may have been a good option for the next few years, however had we nto done the Battier deal, our previous 3 seasons wouldn't have been as exciting as this.

13. emcsquared

emcsquared Member

What a idiot.

Why would LBJ or DW or anyone else come to play for houston when they can practically play for any team they want(with max salary of course)?

If I were LBJ or DW, houston would not even be on my radar if there is no somebody like Yao Ming.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

7 years is a drought.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

What do you think people are talking about when they bring up 2010? It's Lebron and Wade. I never said we'd land them. I never said we should try. I said it'd be long shot and we'd be screwed if we tried to free the cap room to land them and failed.

Some of y'all need to stop projecting emotion into posts and read what's actually there. I'm just saying that if you want to be a player in the 2010 free agent market, you have to let both Yao and Tracy go because there's no other way for it to happen. That's not advocating the position, that's just stating a fact.

And newsflash, any team that's going to have the cap room to offer a max contract to Lebron or Wade (other than the teams they're already on), is going to suck hardcore. New York is going to have room because they have virtually no players on contract in 2010. That means that they also have no good players on contract to surround Lebron with if he chooses to play there.

#15 Cannonball, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Tank for John Wall. Boy I would of tanked 2 seasons to get Lebron...

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm on board here, but i dont think les will ever move yao. he simply earns too much money for les. i think yao will be a rocket until he retires.

the thing about trading yao is that he has so much value whether he gets injured or not, because of all of the money he brings in for the owner. a city with a high asian population would sell the farm to get him (oakland, chicago, new york, maybe la?). the question is, would les sell his biggest money maker?

18. kunluncat

kunluncat Member

So you think this season sucks?

19. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

ALMU, Sorry but I believe you give up too easy.If your family member gets sick do you just throw them to the wolfs? I'm not one to believe "we can't", but "we can" find a way, A way to keep Yao healthy. How about a new type of shoe?, or maybe some type of new ankle supports, maybe knee braces. A guy like Yao doesn't come around to often and you keep him for as long as possible. Maybe we adjust his contract or take his injuries into consideration when it's time to resign him. Maybe he only plays 1/2 a season or 3/4's. If he's truly serious about about winning I he wont play for China anymore. But just don't scrape everything and throw him to the wolfs.

Maybe you should take a deep breath and hit the rest button.

20. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

No.

But we are talking long term championships.

Yao is the new Walton.

And by the way...for you out there who say he is "too big", what the hell is Shaq? The guy weighs more than Yao and is shorter! He wasn't injured at all during his peak years!

Come on, guys. Lets get something for this guy before its too late.