1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The remaining NBA free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jul 2, 2016.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Talk about players who have fallen off a cliff. The Rockets really unloaded him at the best possible time. He was a clearly one of the most efficient 20+PPG scorers in the league, and the new reffing rules made him irrelevant to the entire game of basketball. Just insane... almost insane as Ty Lawson's decline overnight.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sign Lance Stephenson and Jimmer Fredette. These 2 are better back ups for Harden and Gordon than Bev and KJ.

3. rocketseagles07

Batman I'm going to assume this means trades? I'm not the typical rockets fan who is delusional but for some reason I think he has something up his sleeve or harden wouldn't have re-signed.

Thanks for the info!

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sullinger to Toronot:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WE THE NORTH #0</p>&mdash; Jared Sullinger (@Jared_Sully0) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jared_Sully0/status/752573578415968256">July 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

So, no interest in Sully from the Nets...

6. Sanity2disChaos

I hope you are correct Mr.Jones...

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Another smart move by TO. This guy is underrated. Physical presence, can finish around the rim, excellent rebounder.

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

agree, Pop didnt play him in the playoff
    but how knows
    for the m with MDA could be great

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Harden essentially got a 1 year $50 million extension. You think he needed to be persuaded to do that?

10. rocketseagles07

You're probably right... IDK wishful thinking probably

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets don't have a trade in the works for a point guard...How about someone like Steve Blake on the cheap? Blake played under D'Antoni, more than serviceable, can hit a jumper and possibly take some pressure off of Harden bringing the ball up.

Only shot .344% on threes last year, but has a career .388%. Blake would definitely get open looks in this offense.

36 years old, but for one year I'd take him.

#451 mikol13, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I like it. He knows Dantoni's system and played really well in it. Seems like a good fit and low risk.

1 person likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

our capspace and assets are done though.....i guess he could trade a future 1st again like last summer......or possibly get something for ariza (but then we'd have nobody to guard wings).......i really don't see much DM can do now to improve the roster in a meaningful way

14. Aruba77

He can trade Beasley. We have our 4-rotation (Anderson/DMo, with garbage minutes most likely going to Harrell). Beasley is on a $2 mil 1yr deal, he has trade value.

And if we are going to upgrade PG or SF or C, Bev or Ariza or Capela can be thrown in depending on position. They all have value. We have Gentillie, Llull, and KJ that are all worth something, and wouldn't be missed if traded.

So I think we have enough to get something done, even without giving up picks or Dekker. We just have to be realistic about what we can get in return, but adding an impact player or two is not beyond reach. It won't be easy, but can and should be done!

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

dmo still hasn't been re-signed, and i'm not sure he will be because of the implications that would have for 2017 free agency.

but if dmo is retained then ya beasley could be traded, but for his salary amount there aren't any impact players. we could attach bev or ariza's salary and get a starter back perhaps. but then talentwise it's probably just a lateral move and we're just hoping for a player who's a better fit.

i think gentile, llull, and kj have negligible value at best.

16. Aruba77

Even if it's just a pick you get back for Beasley, or the negligible assets you mentioned, it's better than not trading them. I'd like to package a guy like Beasley, Bev and Gentilie for a legit pg, and feel like that could happen. But even if not, there's still value in accumulating assets so we can take advantage of trade opportunities as they emerge. I don't want to see us go into the year with DMo, Beasley and Anderson (that's a waste). If we let DMo walk, obviously we need to keep Bealsey but I'm hoping Morey won't let another one of our assets leave for nothing.

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

where the **** is the pg???? dammit morey dont make harden do all the work on offense again. even if its an old geyser, its better than nothing. someone has to do it, if hinrich or beno is the best we can get, whcih i doubt, then w/e. i havent heard a single thing about adding another pg. i hope they're not intending on going into next season with no backup to harden for running the offense.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like Beverley coming off the bench much more than as a starter. At this point, he is much better than Hinrich or Beno is almost every single category, including 3P%.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You understand that Morey, MDA and Harden himself disagree with taking the ball out of his hands like that?

You could reduce your stress significantly by accepting the inevitable, that an organization filled with people with a combined dozens and hundreds of years of NBA experience have decided to have Harden run MDA's offense. They signalled this strongly by dropping $12.5m on Gordon and renegotiating Harden. They could have spent that Gordon money on a PG or a couple of PG's.

In summary, there is no PG, of the type and caliber you're describing, coming to the Rockets. I'm sure they will shore up the backcourt and add one or two other weapons between now and camp, but there's not going to be some ball dominant PG coming here to play significant minutes with Harden and take the ball out of his hands. It will probably be an older player who's past his prime or a younger player with flaws or a mediocre player in his prime. Probably only slightly better than Bev or Gordon at running the offense.

I know it sucks for you to hear all this, but lots of people are pretty damn excited about Harden being the point man in a positionless system that stresses ball and player movement. That's not the same as what we witnessed last season, which was a joke, but still a top 10 offense. IMO Harden is going to be somewhere between last season's Harden and Steve Nash. He won't be able to emulate Nash, but he'll certainly take a jump up from last season if the team complies.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Morey says Rockets are looking at a backup point guard, potentially as a signing. &quot;We could also address that through trade as well.&quot;</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/752878143065600002">July 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>