1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Problem With Police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Johndoe804, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sooo . . .all your GOOD COP friends . . .. . have any of them turned in a fellow cop?

Am I to assume they know *NO* bad cops?

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will take that to mean they have NOT turned in any bad cops

Rocket River

3. sew

sew Member

And how did you come to that conclusion?

A - I have no clue whether or not they have turned in any bad cops.

B - They've been on the force for just over a year.

B - There is a strong possibility they have not run into any bad cops.

You're jumping to conclusions based on your own god damn assumptions.

So, **** you.

4. sew

sew Member

That 2nd "B" should obviously be a "C."

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

FIFY. How many bad people have you turned in? Snitches get stitches, isn't that the saying?

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not my saying . . . . .
    contrary to popular belief I don't live around the corner from a crackhouse
    :p:grin::cool:

I have made the proper authorities aware of things that I have deemed necessary

That said. . . I am not a cop.
    I am not paid to uphold the law
    They are.
    They are lauded as heros but when their fellow officers cross the line .. . .they grow silent and look the other way .

Rocket River

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A - I asked you.
    B - small sample size
    B - unlikely but possible

I jump to conclusions based on personal history

is it you? Don't cry. It is going to be ok.

Rocket River

8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I have agreed with a lot of what you have said but I think you are reaching here. Good and bad are shades of gray and are not easily distinguishable. Even if a "good cop" knew about a "bad cop" he/she would need sufficient evidence and not be the kind to worry about the professional and social backlash and stigma from fellow officers. Internal Affairs Departments exist to find the "bad cops." Don't get me wrong, I am sure many cops are "bad" but I can guarantee it is not clear cut or anywhere near obvious. If it was obvious they would be found out, see the 4 HPD officers arrested for the OT/ticket fixing scandal last week.

9. sew

sew Member

Rather than facts. Ok.

10. Remii

Remii Member

You could also assume they may fear for their life.. They may not want to end up committing "suicide" ;)

The boys in blue are the biggest baddest gang in the streets.

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Yes, I completely agree with everything in this post. I know MOST cops do the best they can, it just seems my experiences have been with the mouth-breathing, little-man syndrome, apathetic dip****s of the department. I have really needed them in the past and I was completely let down. I do have friends who are cops and pretty awesome people but I haven't ever dealt with them as a cop.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The strange thing is that cops are different in different places.

When I grew up in Houston, and elsewhere in Texas I had a very negative view of the police based on cops that I knew and my own personal experiences with them.

When I moved to NY, I was amazed at how different the police were. Almost every experience I had with the police they were fantastic helpful, not really concerned with over reacting to make sure everyone was respectful of their 'authority'.

In Los Angeles my own interactions with the police have been positive, but I've heard and seen many negative things. It's just very different depending on where you are, I think.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

14. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Sorry about your experience. HPD has a lot of bad apples which I know for a fact.

But you can take your "no standard" nonsense and send it back to where it came from. Things are different out here in the 'burbs, were 1 out of every 100 applicants are hired. And most of our IA investigations are created internally. It means we have standards which are upheld. It's easy to do when you only have 15 guys working at a time. When you have 500+ on patrol at a time, you can't keep an eye on all of them. Especially when patrol cars don't have cameras on them.

This is something that comes up a lot of ethics discussions/classes. I've had the privilege to partake in several in depth discussions about ethical behavior in police work. If your co-worker does something completely stupid and illegal, and it could possibly get you in trouble, you may want to let someone know. If you see a fellow officer run a red light without cause and you run to the supervisor, you'll never get any backup and you'll be eating by yourself a lot. Your life will suck. Where do you draw the line.

I can tell you that I won't jeopardize my career for someone else doing dumb ****. But that's why I like working where I work. We're held to a high standard and we aren't exactly hiring anyone with a pulse since we hire about 1% of applicants.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you turn in your co-workers if they are attending to personal business (e.g. posting to a BBS during work hours, or filling out an incorrect time card, or making long distance phone calls on the company, or taking long lunch breaks or playing FarmVille)?

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

As long as we're on this subject, I'd be interested to hear Anas acuta's personal take on the idea of "professional courtesy" re: not going after (off-duty) officers for violations. As far as I'm concerned, unless a cop lets civilians off with warnings with the same frequency they let it go for fellow LEOs, it's nothing short of corruption.

Just from personal experience, I know a buddy of mine has pulled over at least one off-duty cop who was clearly drunk, and did nothing more than drive him home and place a call to his sgt in the morning. To me, that's beyond deplorable.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

hell . . .some only get 'desk duty' after some horrific crimes

Heck evidently Domestic Violence is a big issue for some police officers

http://womenandpolicing.com/violencefs.asp
    http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Police-domestic-violence-nearly-twice-average-rate-2536928.php

Maybe they have PTSD . . . if so they need to be out of the field

Rocket River

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Further evidence that the folks who sign up to be cops are more prone to violence and lack of self control than everyday citizens.

You know the conservative mantra of guns don't kill people people do? Well here's the problem in a nutshell. You're getting a statistically larger group of violent shoot first ask later cowboys desiring to be cops.

We need better people willing to do that job. So more education, higher pay, etc

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

20. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

This is an easy one for me.

I've stopped literally thousands of cars. I'm guessing over 10,000 now that I have sat here and thought about how long I been doing this.......

I've stopped lots of police officers. We have a large HPD population that lives here and several other agencies. There's only several violations I typically write citations for: Suspended license (DWLI), FMFR (no insurance), if both stickers are out I may write you for one if it's been several months out (this varies greatly), unsecured child, egregious speeding (69 in a 40 was the last one I can even remember). I don't get worked up over speeding like some people do. Unsafe speeding and regular speeding are different.

I typically stop people looking for gang bangers up to no good, burglars, criminals, dope movers and DWIs. I typically focus on DWIs. I'm not a traffic enforcement cop and I don't have any pressure from my supervisors to write citations as a motorcycle cop or a guy in the traffic enforcement division. I stop for very minor violations that I would rarely if ever write a citation for. Part of my job is also educating the populace on the traffic laws and being visible.

I don't show near as much "professional courtesy" when it comes to DWIs, especially when you have caused an accident. Drunk driving in completely irresponsible and I'm not going to go out of my way to help get you home when you're DWI. That means the chief of police's wife is going to go if I stopped her while drunk.