1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The problem with Daryl Morey...that he's been mythologized before he's done anything worth heraldin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sommermärchen, Jul 21, 2014.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

It doesn't matter how people considered him, the question is he a flop or not? Are you saying the Lebron who couldn't win a ring in Cleveland is a loser while the LBJ who had two rings and 4 final appearances is a winner? They are obv the same person, the "many" as you say who saw him as a flop in Cleveland were proven to be morons, that's really all that happened there its not LBJ transformed into a different person he was the same dominating force in both teams.

In the same way here people like GoRox who talk about results and consider Danny Ferry (who paid Larry Hughes 20M BTW) to be a better GM just because he was hired when LBJ was on the team is just trolling or an honest idiot IMHO.

As far as this article goes it builds a straw man argument where apparently some posters somewhere treat Morey as a god and has him doing no wrong, so where are these posters then?Where are the MOFs hiding????? I consider myself one of his biggest fans yet I didn't like his fawning over Melo. Does that make me a MOF who treats his every move like one blessed by the gods?

Morey has done a great job, but like every person in the world he makes mistakes like Royce white, passing on Batum, and of course letting a player option stand between him and Dragic. What I can't stand is people like GoRox who act like having the bestnC and SG on your team is something every gm can do or that Ferry is better than him. Mchale 's Wolves went to the WCF apparently in GoRox's eyes he is better than Morey :rolleyes:

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

It is all opinion. There is no universal measurement to determine if a GM is a flop. The closest would be winning percentage. Lebron wasn't the GM of either the Cavs or the Heat. He didn't hire the coach, he didn't sign players and he didn't make trades. That's a totally different argument. Even with that, many would consider him a flop since he needed Wade and Bosh before he could win a championship. Others would say he matured a lot in Miami and was not the same player.

BTW the "MOFs" are on this board lol. Truth is Morey is poralizing. A lot of people think he is a genius and a lot of people think he's a horrible GM.

Bottom line is, at some point excuses don't cut it. He has had enough time to build a team the way he wants it to be built. He chose the players, he chose the coaches, he should be accountable for their success or lack there of.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Nobody said Morey's a flop lol. Nor does the article imply this. Nor have I ever used the word flop when describing Morey. I think what I & the article is simply saying is Morey's no genius and closer to mediocre than elite. He's done nothing. The defense of Morey lacks substances. You can argue all day about per stats, cap flexibility & low risk/high reward, but the bottom line is what's it resulted in? How much progress have we made since Yao/Tmac? The answer is not very much. Morey's success as a GM doesn't stack up to the praise ppl like you shower him with. Mediocrity doesn't warrant genius titles

1 person likes this.
  4. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

So I'm supposed to devalue Moreys accomplishments because he trades more often? I just don't care. The Parsons point above highlights exactly why we shouldn't. It's a business! I bet almost every NBA player pinches themselves when they wake up each morning just to make sure they haven't been dreaming since the day they were drafted. I want my gm to do what he can to give the Rockets the best shot possible of winning championships. Not every team can have David Robinson get hurt, get lucky as hel in the lotto, draft time Duncan, have him not leave for Orlando, and continuously build through the draft. I have a lot of respect for the spurs org, but to penalize Morey because he couldn't do the same thing when yao and Tracy went down is just lazy. Talking about his seven years in charge and what he has accomplished in terms of playoff wins is lazy and annoying.

5. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

If you've paid close attention to this front office over the past 6 years you'll know that this is an unfair and under informed assessment of daryl and his principled approach to building a title winner. 1 star thread

6. bro2044

bro2044 Member

wow, I'm not someone who belives everything Morye does is golden, but PLEASE... he started in the decline of the Yao-Tmac "era" and helped to finally get some good pieces around them (since it had been what, 3 years of nothing else?), and they broke into pieces while being surrounded by Scola, Brooks, Artest, etc and challenging the "soon-to-be" repeat Lakers in 7 games... and possibly losing only because...Yao went down and Tmac wasn't even in the playoffs.

so THEN we go to washing all of that away to start over after some double-star-retirements, and he makes moves back-n-forth that keep us winning, never going into the lottery trash of the NBA, and then pulls a MIRACLE over 3 years later that brings in Harden, and then Howard a year later.

MOST GMs would have drowned and their teams would be wallowing in conference-bottom misery still. I was afraid we wouldn't even MAKE the playoffs again for a decade after the Tmac-Yao "era" fiasco.

What has he done? He saved a franchise. Not every team can be champion, and even the GREAT teams cant always win titles (PHX,UTH, SEA, NY etc of the 90s), so lets get a squad thats actually healthy for a bit and maybe then judge him? We went from broken to mediocrity+, to getting a star, and then doubling our stars and having a 50+ win season within 5 years.

yeh im okay with that.

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Please elaborate on why you believe in this statement

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have never been a fan of Morey; too much turnover, too little humanizing of players. Good at analytics, not good at personal relationships. Biggest achievements: Howard and Harden. Biggest mistakes: almost everything else.

#108 solid, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This dude is a tool. He doesn't understand the Lin and Asik contracts? He doesn't like bottom protection on 1st round picks? I wonder if he'd like trading one for James Harden.

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Greatest accomplishments landing Harden and D12. However, he has installed the wrong coach and assistants required to lead them to a championship. A drunk Rudy was and is better than McFail!!

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think tmac and yao should've stayed longer. Yao was forced to retire too soon. I don't think thats retirement worthy. Tmac as well, he needed some healing time. I had arguments here about those bull**** workouts they both had. I predicted that Yao training like that was going to hurt him more than help him and I was right.

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

Here's a visual reminder of what Morey has been able to accomplish that's worth heralding.

This is the team we were advertising LESS THAN 2 YEARS AGO

[​IMG]

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

??? Beverley was a fail? Lowry was a fail? Trading tmacs corpse was a fail? Asik was a fail? Morey has had his fair share of mistakes, but he hasn't made a ton of mistakes like you seem to be arguing.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I went back and changed it to "almost" everything else.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Still woefully inaccurate.

Of the 100s of moves he has made, only about 5-6 were probably bad gambles, but none of those were all that catastrophic.

16. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Actively managed funds can be impressive on certain years, but over long term, they rarely beat index funds.

Change is certainly needed, but lots of side-way trades with mediocre or even below average players don't make too much sense nor do they improve the team, except for disrupting chemistry. Team, whatever it consists of, needs time to grow together.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL @ Royce White and #ANEWAGE.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

You're right. Intelligence does.

No GM is perfect, but taking a mediocre group of role players and turning them into a legitimate playoff threat is an accomplishment even if you don't see it. Your definition of results seems to be that we're not much better than when Yao and Tracy were here. I disagree. We're younger, have room to add/move players and in one season with Dwight and James have shown potential. Yao and T-mac were already a failing experiment when Morey took over.

Let's put it this way. If you a manage a drag race team (car) for profit, and your car is starting to break down or having critical system failures, what do you do? Tear it down and rebuild, right? But your owner says, "No, keep using that car and keep racing. You can't do a tear down." So, while still running a semi-competitive car, you start working the phones and swapping used parts until magically you end up with a damn near new motor and a rock solid race transmission. Now you're back in the game with a chance to win some races. The car is slightly faster than it was before it started to fail, but has loads more potential.

You'd call that a failure on the race car's manager?

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Morey has done enough.

Ain't his fault McHale doesn't know how to coach.

Ain't his fault Harden doesn't know how to play a lick of D and shoots trash in the playoffs.

Ain't his fault Lin chokes.

People forget the Rockets have all the ingredients to be more than first round fodder.

This past season wasn't on Morey. The team he has assembled needs to check themselves and show up.

20. pippsux

pippsux Member

I appreciate what he is this off season has been a disaster. Morey needs to take it like a man. This is all him.