1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The problem with Daryl Morey...that he's been mythologized before he's done anything worth heraldin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sommermärchen, Jul 21, 2014.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is why I didn't feel too bad for Morey when Cuban & Nelson did unto him as he had done unto Chicago and NY because turnabout is fair play. I thought his whining about what went down was somewhat self-serving.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

NO YOU DON'T!!!

3. Jakey

Jakey Member

You really need to stop with your hate towards Morey. It's one thing to be critical of him and his moves, but many of your posts reeks of just constant hate towards Morey. Just take a step back and chill :cool:. Morey is our GM for the foreseeable future and your constant b****ing is not going to change that.

4. Raven

Raven Member

He's been second guessed and picked apart from day one, going all the way back to Shane Battier. Anyone who thinks this board has been easy on Morey is either 12 years old, a fan of a player recently traded to LA, a troll, or a fool.

5. Nero

Nero Member

And.. why? Why do you think anything less than Conference Finals is a failure? Yes, we'll have a good team. But this is the West, and there are a TON of great teams - SA, OKC, LAC, and up-and-comers like PHO, GSW and POR.

Yet, based solely upon your say-so, Morey's a failure if we don't make the Conference Finals this season.

I'll just go ahead and go on record as saying, it's a good thing you're not the owner of the team, because that kind of mindless absolutism is not only dumb but irresponsible.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The results speak for itself. Last year was a disappointment and the offseason was even worse. The writer of this article and plenty of other ppl agree with my position on Daryl Morey. If I'm stupid, then so are most NBA GM's, agents & writers (including the one of this article).

Maybe just maybe, the idiots may not be us

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Most NBA GM's haven't said anything of that position, nor have most agents. And in reality (not your projection of it) most writers have not taken the same position as you either.

Maybe, just maybe, the idiot is in fact you. Not everyone else, like you claim.

Btw, it was cute that you bowed out after Rockets2k served you in that other thread. Keep on keeping it real. :rolleyes:

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I wouldn't say winning 50+ games and a playoffs birth in the wild wild west a disappointment. I was hoping hoping for a deep playoffs run but come on every team but us had players who had quality experience together. There core had more than one year together.

Now I do think Morey needs to stop changing up the lineup every year. This strategy will not get us far in the playoffs.

Agreed on this offseason being a disappointment so far but he have plenty of time to redeem himself.

9. kchin

kchin Member

Nooo, he sucks because he swung for the fence on the third year at the expense of our future.

10. kchin

kchin Member

Newsflash Brokaw, nothing for the Rockets is going right this offseason.

11. kchin

kchin Member

I've never seen more fascist attitudes over someone to where criticizing a sports GM is punishable by death. Get over yourselves people. I'll admit that Dawson's draft picks have been less than stellar but you have to understand that the Rockets under his tenure were not bottom feeders who were in the lottery year after year. They were always in the middle of the pack (bad enough to not make the playoffs and good enough to not make the lottery). I don't see your point on regrets over not drafting Jefferson or Collins. When he took over as GM in 1996, we still had Olajuwon, Drexler and Barkley and then Pippen shortly thereafter.

After those three left the Rockets he seamlessly transitioned to the Steve Francis/Yao era and subsequently the Yao/McGrady era. His successful draft picks Yao Ming and Cuttino Mobely were highly productive players. Out of the guys you mentioned Bonzi Wells was still in his prime and Jim Jackson/Juwan Howard were still productive players. Now lets look at the trades because this is where he shined. He brought in a few notable names that were big parts of this team: Barkley, Pippen, Francis, Battier, McGrady...that's not bad at all. I will give Morey credit for three successful trades: the trades for Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and James Harden. Aside from Chandler Parsons, his drafts were mediocre at best with Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry and as for free agency, he hit a home run with Dwight.

Both Dawson and Morey have had their success with trades and free agency but the difference is, Dawson never had to gut his team but once in his 11 year reign while Morey has twice in his 7 years here. I admit Dawson mortgaged our future by trading Cassell, Horry and Elie for Barkley, but for the most part has gotten value in return. Morey on the other hand let Lowery, Dragic and Scola, go for one James Harden. The other mistake of Morey being this summer with the premature trades of Lin, Asik, and then letting Parsons walk (gutting).

My point of all this (and perhaps GM Steve Patterson could make my point clearer) is that Steve Patterson found a core in Olajuwon, Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Otis Thorpe and kept them together for a 4-year window from 1990-1994. In that time, they developed into a championship team. The cappers to it were drafting Horry and Cassell (both of whom have gone on to win 7 and 3 rings respectively). Who knows, we might have won our second ring without trading for Drexler.

To the Morey lovers...you need to free yourself from the Matrix!!!

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

You're in denial. Its not hate. It's fair constructive criticism. He's good at finding cheap talent, but sucks at retaining it. He still hasn't proved he knows how to put a complete, balanced team together. The fact you label that hate just shows how far detached from reality you are. He's a above average GM at best. Period. As GM, Morey should be held even MORE accountable than anybody else. You guys have absolutely no problem criticizing Mchale. But when it comes to Morey it's "let's all calm down & relax". Talk about a double standard

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The problem with their article is they don't really know what they're talking about, 1 year old CBA is a grotesque misrepresentation, The Gilbert Arenas rule wasn't new (used for those contracts), it existed in the previous CBA, and it wasn't like he was the only team that did it, Toronto did as well.

The issue with Parsons, was never about what he did, but why, the Lin/Asik things had nothing to do with NY/Chicago (Morey made a mistake with how he dealt with NY over the McGrady thing which carried over there), what Cuban did was about Houston, fortunately for us he misread Ariza completely.

#273 Aleron, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am usually meh about Morey, is that better with you?

The b****ing is about results, he hasn't delivered a 3rd round appearance in 7, 8 years.

Only one 2nd round (with the big man and defensive SF that CD brought in).

I am not calling for a firing but criticism sure is warranted.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Ok. Since you have responded to other posts in this yhread but not to my easy question I take it you cannot name me 10 cutrent GMs who are better than Morey.

I understand that you cannot. Apparantly Morey is not a mediocre GM otherwise you could have easily named me 10 who are better. Thanks for playing.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't want no mediocre

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ninja, mediocre was when Kevin Martin was our star and 45 wins was our ceiling.

19. Jakey

Jakey Member

Where do you get that I'm in denial? Double standard? Let me know and don't just ignore the question. You definitely live in your own little world. I've posted maybe a handful of times and never once did I post anything about Morey. The hate label comes from the fact that you relentlessly take every chance you get to bash Morey and his supporters nonstop. You don't seem like a troll bc you have had some good points on Morey and the Rockets. But when when you constantly go above and beyond what is necessary to make your point that you don't think Morey is a good GM is when it starts to look like hate. And I didn't say "let's all calm down and relax" when it comes to Morey. I told YOU to step back and chill bc you get way too worked up every time anyone even talks about Morey.

20. Jakey

Jakey Member

I was not aiming my post at you. I don't even know what you've posted about Morey. I've just noticed Gorox2013 by happen chance bc he b****es about Morey in every freaking thread multiple times that even mentions his name and it gets old to hear the constant negativity. And if you read my post carefully, I never once said criticism was not warranted either.