1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The problem with Daryl Morey...that he's been mythologized before he's done anything worth heraldin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sommermärchen, Jul 21, 2014.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Ah yes, the good ole CD days, when we would go years without a draft pick contributing. When we gave huge long term contracts to studs like Kelvin Cato, Moochie Norris, Mo Taylor, and Matt Maloney. Brilliant moves like trading Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong for Eddie Griffin. Picking Micheal Dickerson, Bryce Drew and Mirshad Turkan over Houston native and future all star Rashard Lewis. Glen Rice, Mark Jackson, Bonzi Wells, Derek Anderson, Juwan Howard, Jim Jackson, Charles Oakley; all great players CD acquired. Unfortunately they were all closer to retirement than their prime when we got them. Nothing like having the least athletic supporting cast possible to support McGrady and Yao. Yes, the good ole days when drafting Luther Head was one of the Rockets better drafts.

CD's best move was trading for Tracy McGrady and he never got us out of the first round. He lucked into the option to pick Yao, and he gets credit for making that pick, but Yao never got us past the first round under Dawson either. So what exactly do you miss about the Dawson GM days?

2 people like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you're gonna troll, at least try to make it look less obvious...

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Are you serious? Lol. Do you not read ALL the ridiculous post by some of these idiots? These guys literally worship Daryl Morey. To them, winning a championship doesn't matter because Morey got us 2 stars apparently without tanking. Never mind Hakeem, Clyde & even Mchale helping recruit. It's all because of Morey's greatness. Where else would a GM who hasn't won anything get phrases like "in Morey we trust". The only we can trust is we'll have the highest turnover each year

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't forget Charlie Ward and Clarence Weatherspoon!

5. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Good post, people cry two much.

Morey only got superstars two out of three years, he sucks because he didn't do it three years in a row.

6. Airdough

Airdough Member

The only problem with the in Morey we trust mantra is that many fans don't also hold him accountable enough instead making McHale the whipping boy. Morey has done an amazing job resurrecting the Rockets from career ending injuries to Yao/Tracy to a West contender. The buck has to stop somewhere. This is his team and vision. Anything less than a trip to the conference finals should be scene as a failure this season. The heat on this team being a contender also needs to fall on Morey as equally as it does others.

Fan expectations need to shift and shift hard, it goes without saying, this will be a very important year for Morey.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget charles barkley on that list.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

What an idiotic comment. Unless you mean that you miss Hakeem (which we all do), or that you are being sarcastic (but giving you posts n this thread that seems unlikely). Morpheus133 already replied to this so I am not going to get into detail.

Obvious trolling Laker fan is obvious. I am not going to quote you since i expect many have you on their ignore and I do not want to expose them to your posts.

While I know you are a troll who for some reason always post the exact opposite of what I think. I will respond to your post.

I Morey perfect? No of course not nobody is saying he is. I agree that in hindsight letting Parsons become a free agent and losing him for nothing was a mistake (although he did get a cheaper better fit in Ariza, but he could have used Parsons to get another good player). But I think it was a calculated risk, he went all in with Bosh, and if he had gotten him we would be one of the top 3 teams. Also the tactic actually worked with Bledsoe who is a better player than Parsons (but also more injury prone).

Of course Morey has made some mistakes, But do you know any GM that didn’t? Every gm made mistakes, and in my opinion the mistakes Morey made do not weigh up to the good moves he made. So if you feel he is such a bad GM who do you think is better? And on top of that who that you think is better would be available if we fired Morey? I’ll be waiting for a respond listening to the Crickets chirping.

This ‘what have you done for me lately’ attitude is stupid. I think that him rebuilding so fast grants him some leeway. He has made some great moves and you do not get rid of somebody who has made great moves that just did not pan out yet. Even the Spurs (which you also seem to love) went 7 years without a title, and there were many people who wanted to fire Pop since he had not win anything lately (7 years ago Morey just became our GM).
    Only looking at championships in a short time span is not the right way to go. You look at whether his moves improved our chances of winning a championship. And if you doubt that Morey has done a great job rebuilding from 2 broken down max superstars and a bad supporting cast, than you are indeed either stupid or have an agenda.

That being said I also would like for Morey to just focus on getting great role players next to Harden and Howard, and getting a coach who focusses more on defence. But I think that overall Morey is one of the best GMs in the league.

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This completely reasonable and logical post will be labeled "Morey worship" by the trolls* who occupy most people's ignore lists. Any post not casting Morey in a purely negative light is seen as offensive to these folk.

*In all fairness, they might not be trolls. They might really, actually be that stupid.

11. Nero

Nero Member

You know what? I have been asking myself the same question.

Great post by the way..

As to your question, I suspect it's something like this:

First, we have MUCH more access to and knowledge of information regarding free agency, trades, and potential players to possibly acquire than we ever did during CD's tenure.

For that reason, we actually KNOW about what Morey is doing - we get to follow along, we get to debate it both before, during and after the roster manipulations orchestrated by the GM. We analyze, and over-analyze, every single facet of every possible transaction.

And some of our guys on the fan side are genuinely good - make that GREAT even (I'm look at you Bima, and several other guys here as well) - which means those of us who actually care about the details have become much more sophisticated than we were 20 years ago.

During CD's tenure, generally we heard about these transactions after they happened. This means that we lived in a period of time in which 'CD just got things done', as some people say. Which may be true in some sense, but unlike today, we have no idea what things CD MAY have tried to do which either backfired or never came to fruition.

In other words, we don't have the same sort of perception about CD's run as we have now about Morey's.

If you just look at the actual RESULTS, I think Morey has had, overall, a better track record. In fairness though, despite the many horrendous decisions, CD did bring in Otis Thorpe, Drexler, Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell (who had all the talent in the world, just also and unfortunate vaccuum between his ears), drafted Horry and Cassell.. Francis and Cat.. even brought in Barkley.

And Pippen.

I know, I know. But hindsight being 20/20, just remember, at the TIME, everybody was very excited about that team.

But the colossal team-crippling blunders cannot be discounted.

I won't go into the long litany of terrible players and contracts CD brought in here.. just remember, they happened.

If CD had had to operate under the same microscope Morey does, I don't think people would have a very good opinion of CD at all..

And what if it was the other way around? What if Morey was operating under the cloak of low-available-information which CD enjoyed? Morey would look like the most amazing GM in the history of the universe.

So anyway, that's my $.02 on that issue for what it's worth..

2 people like this.
  12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lmao. You guys just make up crap and see if it sticks lol. Example "you're just Mavericks fan, bla bla bla". Nice rebuttal!!! Fyi, anybody who has me on ignore is most likely a Morey minion who only wants to hear praise and no real criticism. It's funny, because everybody else seems fair game but criticizing Morey really ruffles peoples feathers on here. The thing is your opinion of Morey is in the MINORITY. Most ppl around the league don't think that high of him. You idiots are the 1% that still regard him as a "genius", and will try to discredit anybody who disagrees.

You are the only one trolling my friend. Please remember, I am in the 99% of ppl who doesn't think Morey's some genius:rolleyes:). More ppl agree with me than you. You fit alll the characteristics of a troll, just reading your posts

Lmao. Not only is he not perfect, he's only been mediocre (judging from playoff success). The Parsons situation was one of many mistakes. Funny you didn't mention not firing Mchale, which was his biggest setback. But the fact free agents don't want to play for him says more than anything. Every GM makes mistakes, but the smart ones own up to them. Who would I hire if Morey got fired? Impossible to answer. It depends on the options available. Possibly Rick Adelman, or someone of that mold. But I'd keep a few of Morey's assistants for the analytics help too. Mchale would be outta here with Morey too

Huh? How can you call a move "great" but admit it hasn't panned out yet???? Really???? That pretty much sums it up right there:rolleyes:

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Carroll Dawson was as bad as friggin Kahn. Everyone says he's a nice guy, but he just plain sucked as a GM.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You can't avoid losses, but only idiots chase them. The only possible better scenario for Morey re:parsons was to pick up his option, and then trade him. That was the only one, and even then the rewards would have been crap since he was an expiring. There were 2-3 winning scenarios re sending him to RFA and 1 losing, the one he ended up with, there were 2-3 losing scenarios, and 1 winning scenario with sending him to UFA (I'll illustrate them all if you like).

He made the right decision in both cases, send him to RFA and don't match, but that's the nature of all free agency, there's always a risk, but if they applied the same level of criticism to other GMs (what do you make of Mitch trading for Nash and Dwight? Riley for losing Lebron for nothing?), their head might actually blow.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you are too harsh. As Nero pointed out in his excellent post, CD did make some great moves, especially during the 90's.

That said, I would say that he was not a very good talent evaluator and was probably too nice in giving out ludicrous contacts before the guys had proved their worth.

I also believe that many of the CD's acquisitions, especially toward the end of his tenure as GM was largely influenced by the coaches' desires. He kept giving Rudy those jump shooters and kept giving JVG those all-hustle-no-offense guys, not to mention the old Knicks retreads.

16. arno_ed

No I called you a Laker Troll since you are clearly a Laker Fan. And I expect that most people have you on ignore because of your Kobe loving posts that just do not make any sense.
    Again I never called him a genius. I think he is a very good GM (one of the best in the NBA) and I agree with his philosophy. But I do not think he is a genius. You are the only one using the term Genius (and them immediately state that he is not a genius and that anybody who thinks he is a genius is an idiot.
    I do not care if I am in minority or not, most people aren’t that smart so why would I care what most people think.

I did say that I wanted a more defensive minded coach, and I agree that Mchale should not be here anymore. But again the pros of Morey in the advantage over the cons.
    Adelman? Seriously in what World is Adelman a good GM (first he is a coach not a gm), he is one of the reasons Minnesota is stuck with Martin and Buddinger on bad contracts. We got Brad Miller playing important minutes because Adelman wanted him. There is no proof that Adelman would even be a average GM.

But basically you admit that you do not know of a better GM that is available. Ok no problem lets try something easier. You say Morey is mediocre, so name me 10 GMs that you believe are better than him.

I do think this sums it up nicely, you only look at wins (and apparently only play-off wins, so why you want Adelman even though he was terrible with Minesota I will never know. ) to determine who is doing a good job good and who is not doing a good job. There are many factors that play a part in winning of games. And an intelligent person will use these factors to determine if someone is improving the team and improving the chances of winning a championship. Only a lazy person only looks at the end result to judge people.

You are aware that we only got Howard last year right, so you wanted it to pan out in that first year? And winning play-off games is the only criteria of doing a good job. Let’s look at that brilliant reasoning.

Let’s look at the people that were not doing a great job using your reasoning that winning is the only determent whether someone is doing a good job

It took Michael Jordan 4 years to get out of the first round of the play offs, so you would have traded him after his rookie year when he finished 38-44.

It took Kevin Durant (and similar Sam Presti) 3 years to even make the play offs and 4 before he won a series. Again you would have traded him after his rookie year when his team was 20-62.

It took Lebron james 3 years to make the play offs, and you would have traded him after his rookie season when the cavs were 35-47

I can go on and on, but that would be wasting my time even more..

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Or maybe YOU'RE not that smart lol. This whole notion Daryl Morey's the best GM is based off what exactly? Harden & Howard? That's exactly the thinking reasonable ppl laugh at. You are delusional. He's not terrible, but one of the best GM's? And he's only been out the 1st round once in 2006. You guys are living in a false reality

First off, Adelman has the best winning% of any coach in Rockets history. He's also a future HOF coach. He knows twice as much basketball than Daryl Morey. You mention bad contracts, but Jeremy Lin's contract could be one of the worst in Rockets history. Who gave him that contract? Bingo!!! Ish happens

I think Adelman's basketball knowledge, and ability to implement his princeton offense on the team would be great. We could hire someone like Elston Turner as coach and have Adelman watch over the offense/defense. Similiar to Phil Jackson in NY. The important part is players LOVE RICK ADELMAN. Player don't love Daryl Morey. I think FA's would actually want to come here again under someone like Adelman:rolleyes:

I bolded the top part, because the rest of what you typed was incoherent hogwash. The ONLY thing you can judge a GM on after 8 years is wins, losses & playoff success. How do you not judge results after EIGHT YEARS? lol. How stupid does this sound??? LOL

18. arno_ed

Haha, maybe. However I know I am that smart.

I do not think that getting Howard and Harden is the reason Morey is a great GM, it are all the other smaller moves that made me think he is a great GM.

Again you only look at results not circumstance, and I already tried to show you that is a bad way to judge a person.

Yes Adelman has a lot of knowledge and I agree that he is a great coach, but we were not talking about coaches, we are talking about GMs. There is more to being a GM than being able to coach (which is actually not part of being a GM).

So you can not name a GM who you believe is better. You said Morey is mediocre, so name 10 current GMs that you believe are better. If Morey is such a mediocre Gm that must be easy for you. But for some reason you do not seem able to? strange:rolleyes:

Like I said only looking at results and not circumstances is the lazy approach. I do not mind that you take the lazy approach, however it does make you wrong often.

I have said it before Morey also makes mistakes, but he made many more great moves than bad ones.

For somebody who is complaining that people give Morey credit for everything and not hold him accountable for anything you only complain about Morey and cannot give him credit.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I really can't even begin to understand how you came to this conclusion.

Zach Lowe has spoken glowingly of just how smart Daryl Morey is. I regard his opinion higher than most other writers, but he's not the only one to do so.

A rival GM was quoted as saying that all the bitter feelings towards Morey is "pure jealousy"

Going off the posts I read here, what I read elsewhere, what I have seen on tv and what I hear in podcasts I would say it's actually the exact opposite of what you think. Most regard him as a very smart GM who has done a very good job in his time here. Sure there are some like you, but despite what you think, you are actually in the minority.

20. Nero

Nero Member

Dude, you really ought to know when to give up.

As it is, you are pretty much solidly in the running for stupidest poster in Clutchfans' history (and that is saying a LOT), but if you keep it up, I smell a bannin'
    in your future.

Just sayin'.