1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The price of being different-Ohio transgender teen's suicide note: 'Fix society. Please.'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jan 11, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

As long as you are happy with it, it's all good. What's "pansexual"? Never heard of it.

Nobody. But you care enough, obviously, to post incessantly about it and try to derive some moral superiority over the rest of society.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

As to your second point, post incessantly? huh? :confused::confused::confused:. I haven't started a thread like this in a couple of months I'd wager, I'd think considering your posting habits that you'd have a higher standard for what it means to post incessantly.

And no, contrary to what you think, I start these threads to discuss topics with a different demographic then I'm used to, and I could care less what people think about my sexuality--you're the one who followed this thread to bring it up for some reason.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DSM is really not that official and is something that gets changed very often and is considered controversial. It is merely the publication of an association - a trade publication. Not scientific in the way it is put together it's a guide a bunch of professionals create.

Actually there's an interesting discussion about this in the "Psychopath Test" - great book by the way.

But it is a massive mistake to say that being transgender is a mental disorder. There is absolutely no science behind that claim.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that hard to understand why those who either don't know what gender they are, or believe themselves to be the opposite gender would be considered mentally ill. If I told you that there was a man who believed that he was actually a bird and he believed this so strongly that he had plastic surgery to mutilate his arms and turn them into faux wings in an effort to feed his delusion....would you have a problem if I suggested that person was mentally ill? Would you need science to "prove it"?

A man that believes that he's actually a woman that believes it to the point where he mutilates his genitals to make it appear as if he had female genitalia in order to feed his delusion is not that much different. It's usually a harmless delusion, so there's no reason to not let them go nuts chopping off whatever they choose if it makes them feel better, but they obviously have a mental disorder.

There's really not an argument against transexualism or gender dysphoria being a mental disorder, it describes an enduring maladaptive pattern of behavior, cognition, and inner experience. These patterns develop early, are inflexible, and are associated with significant distress or disability.....that's pretty much the exact definition of a personality disorder. Is there any part of that you deny?

5. Northside Storm

Yes there is, and it comes from the same association that writes the DSM, that book you keep on name-dropping. You might have missed it as you didn't respond to my post.

You need to realize that transsexualism and gender dysphoria, as defined by the current DSM, are separate concepts.

6. Northside Storm

If I told you there was a man who name drops the DSM without reading one sentence of it, would you have a problem if I suggested that person was uninformed on the topic? Would you need science to "prove it"?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The DSM isn't the only voice though, there is also the ICD, which uses "transexualism" instead of "gender dysphoria" and has 3 criteria.

Also, I'm curious about the quote

Being dysphoric simply means that you are unsatisfied....a male who doesn't want to be a male or doesn't believe that they are male could be said to be dysphoric about his gender. I mean it's not that complicated.

Obviously though there is a distinction between those who simply have a transvestic fetish and those who are actually transexual or gender dysphoric, is that what you meant?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL I wasn't "name dropping" the DSM, Sweet Lou was foolishly suggesting that those who thought transexualism or gender dysphoria got that from the bible, I was just pointing out how off-base that was by naming the most well known manual of psychological disorders.

The DSM has 4 criteria for gender dysphoria

All of those appear to be present in the teenage boy that killed himself.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's amusing to watch the intern Northside Breeze hear of something for the first time ever (like DSM), frantically googling it and then acting like an instant expert who has known this stuff forever, taking on a wannabe condescending tone. It's a recurring pattern...very transparent.

10. Northside Storm

You are clearly indicating you don't understand the quote, and I agree with you that it isn't complicated. Let me break it down for you.

There is a distinction between a transvestic fetish and gender dysphoria. There is also a distinction between transsexualism and gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria

I.E: there are transgender people who don't identify with their sex but who are perfectly alright, and don't need medical attention. Maybe they've already made the transition -> We know there is a whole community of people out there who are not seeking medical attention and live between the two binary categories.

the therapist’s job isn’t to pathologize->this isn't a disorder

Yes, they could be but the distinction is they do not have to be.

Transsexualism does not equate gender dysphoria. In fact, the reason why the DSM made the switch in the first place was to make this point very clear that discontent, oftentimes engendered by societal pressures (“All psychiatric diagnoses occur within a cultural context,”) did not have to follow from identity.

So, as a perfect example, those who have fully made the transition, are happy with their lives are anything but dysphoric.

As the NHS (Britain's health service puts it).

Which adds up to--

To your point about the ICD, the latest changes in the DSM are progressive and VERY recent, and I expect the ICD will reconcile the difference eventually.

So in summary your quote:
    is wrong on many levels.

1) There is an argument against transsexualism being a mental disorder from the same association that compiles the DSM.

2) The NHS, one of the most respected health institutions in the world, point blank states that it doesn't even consider gender dysphoria a "mental illness".

3) Transsexualism is not an "enduring maladaptive pattern of behavior" when the proper medical treatment as recommended by the DSM (gender reassignment surgery) is followed.

Now you ignored my previous question: now that you are steeped in psychological knowledge, do you believe that conversion therapy is merely "wrongheaded"? Or does it unethically break professional medical guidelines?

To use your style of argumentation, what if I had a wound, and the doctor recommended blood-letting in contravention of established medical ethics (do what is best for the patient) and fully aware that three states had banned the practice and that many patients had died from the procedure, and I died, wouldn't that be more than "wrong-headed"? Wouldn't it be dangerous, unethical, and wrong--and with the evolution of law, eventually illegal?

11. Northside Storm

Completely irrelevant to your point that "there's really not an argument against transexualism or gender dysphoria being a mental disorder." Now that you're using her to advance your arguments, are you "kinda scummy?"

Very relevant to the point that conversion therapy is a terrible approach for this situation, something you've failed to properly address other than to say it was "wrongheaded"--and unethical, bad medical practice, and just plain wrong?

That's only the tip of the iceberg for how society mistreats transgender people.

#71 Northside Storm, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  12. Northside Storm

it's fun to watch you try to know me from a series of forum posts.

I actually had to read through sections of the DSM.

this is your time to make a veiled reference to the fact I might be mentally ill, showing how classy and secure you are.

I did venture to take a concentration in psychology. Most of it was useless to what I do now, but I did have one or two interesting classes about how sexuality manifested in both humans and animals. Fascinating stuff. Take a look at clownfish sexuality if you want your mind blown (goodbye Finding Nemo).

13. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Sad story. I do believe they are pushing an agenda with this child. Even IF, this young man had seen a Dr. that was all for re assignment surgery and the parents embarrassed her in his new identity.

The dirty secret these groups are not letting known is that 51% of these people still commit suicide after surgery.

"The Transgender Task Force reports 41% attempt suicide. In the Transgender Task Force transgenders survey, they admit they selectively eliminated from the survey all regretters who reverted back to their birth gender. The people whose suicide was a success or the transgenders who go back to their birth gender do not have a voice.

It is amazing how poor the surgical results are when you collect the documented studies where 61% of transgenders report suffering from psychological problems, 41% attempt suicide and 10% who never adjust to the gender change.

There should be a sign at the door of the operating room that reads:

Enter at your own risk."

http://waltheyer.typepad.com/blog/2...cide-have-deep-regret-or-will-not-adjust.html

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It is pretty obvious that in North America societies, transexuals are not as tolerated as the rest of the LGBT community

homosexuality is more or less accepted now by most people morally, or at least ignored. Can't really say the same about transgendered people though.

The one thing I'm wondering about is the suicide rate for transgendered. in countries in Thailand where trans people are more abundant and more tolerated compared to North America.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I were to pull numbers out of my ass, I'd say American society is 20 years behind transgender and non-cisgender acceptance.

My company hired some transgender employees, and it was a hr nightmare for a decently sized organization to accommodate their needs despite the best intentions.

I could say I learned something from their challenges, but it was still something foreign that I couldn't fully understand.

It's a different animal than being gay, though the analogue can simply be applied.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Your understanding of life is unfortunate. This is the fault of society. I'm sorry that you are too obtuse to see that.

17. Summer Song Giver

Society's note to transgender teen, "Fix your face."

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Did "society" make the kid mentally ill? No.
    Did "society" make the kid choose to kill himself? No.

I don't see how you blame society for the actions of the mentally ill. It's just odd to even suggest.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Your questions are ridiculous. As ridiculous as this - if this person live in a world devoided of society, would he be mentally ill, would he kill himself

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you're right, that is a ridiculous question. My questions however, were not. In some sense, you could argue that ALL personality disorders are the fault of there being a society for them to fail to adapt to....but that's not really productive because there's always going to be a society.