1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The press conference is ended and Ming is still waiting for the final decision of CBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Jun 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

Uhhh... Translation please. ;)

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Pretty please

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Translation:

The Yao bright extension meets the NBA one matter also needs the Chinese basket cooperates finally to authorize

On June 22nd, 2002 23:50 New China net

New China net Shanghai on June 22nd news (Reporter Xiao spring flies) the Yao Ming representative tonight convenes in Shanghai ventilates to be able to indicate: Shanghai East basketball club team member Yao clearly already met NBA with the Shanghai East basketball club on the Yao bright extension plays a ball game compensates the question reaches the principle agreement, but Yao clearly went to NBA plays a ball game also must be under the official authorization which the Chinese basket cooperated, made concerned Yao by the basket tube center clearly goes to the finally decision which NBA played a ball game.

The Yao Ming representative said, next step needs the Chinese basket cooperates to the international basket association to write up one certificate, proves Chinese basket association agrees Yao clearly goes to American NBA plays a ball game, " after we reach the agreement the Shanghai East male basket club, hopes receives can speed up Yao clearly goes to NBA step."

Yao Ming representative altogether 5 people: Yao Ming in Chicago's distant relative, continuously clearly goes to NBA for Yao plays a ball game the chapter of bright base which one matter rushes about, the Yao bright overseas manager, University of Chicago business institute Vice-President John - sea abdicates the standard, Yao Ming domestic manager Lu Hao, attorney the king understands the huge mythical bird and Yao's bright mother, the former Chinese women's basketball main force player side phoenix younger sister. According to ventilates to be able to introduce, John - sea abdicates the standard and the land vast separately has NBA and the CBA China basket cooperates the approval the basketball manager qualifications.

The Yao Ming representative and the Shanghai East basketball club achieves " compensates the agreement " is the tonight focal point topic, but the parties concerned are even to some details " are watertight ". Lu Hao Shuo: " Negotiates, both sides both had the sincerity, both sides both do the concessions, my very happy both sides now reached the agreement, we will continue from this foundation to go forward."

John - sea abdicates the standard says: " Now is not one discussion detail time, but is one is worth congratulating, this is the Yao bright extension meets NBA steps out first step."

The Yao Ming mother side phoenix younger sister indicates: " This agreement is gradually achieves, can have today this result, is very happy."

According to the Yao bright representative side discloses, the Eastern basketball club will compensate clearly with Yao for Shanghai pays the related expense which China the basket will cooperate is " the relative independence ", in addition, both sides will decide " will compensate the agreement " one important principle are according to Yao Ming the process which will play a ball game in NBA, " benefit sharing, the risk altogether will take on ".

Attorney Wang Xiao Peng in replies Yao clearly when three years contract question which once signs with the American ever green broker company indicates, China, American attorney all carries on the earnest analysis to this contract, proposes should how regard this contract valid question. But the NBA player trade union also thinks, this is one seriously encroaches upon the player benefit the contract, " no longer becomes affects Yao Ming Zhuan meeting any barrier."

Before this clearly has John - sea with Yao which many times contacts abdicates the standard says: " Without a doubt, Yao Ming will obtain in NBA is very greatly successful. Yao clearly has the very many places needs to enhance, Yao bright own also knows this point, he are willing to pay the price for this. Yao clearly has the very good physical quality, if diligently will unify with the day after tomorrow, he will have boundless prospects!"

On June 21st the afternoon, the basket tube center also published one situation notification. This circular said the Chinese basket association decides Yao will be bright does not go to America attends in June on 26th (American local time) in 2002 which will hold in New York NBA elects the Xiu congress, but this will not be able to affect Yao clearly from now on goes to America plays a ball game. John - sea abdicates the standard in talks about when this question said: " I participate to Yao Ming elect Xiu continuously to maintain optimistically!"

5. BobFinn*

Kinda like reading one of LHutz's posts, ain't it?

6. windandsea

The representatives of Yao Ming conveneed the press tonight in Shanghai and expressed: Shanghai Sharks basketball club and Yao Ming had achieved principle agreement on the compensation. But Yao Ming still needs the provement of CBA to be able to play at NBA.

¡¡¡¡The representatives of Yao Ming said, the next step is: CBA needs to hand a certificate to FIBA and proves that Chinese basket association agrees Yao Ming to play at NBA. "After we reach the agreement with Shanghai Sharks, we hope that the process of Yao Ming's playing at NBA can speed up."

¡¡¡¡Yao Ming's representatives include 5 persons: Yao Ming's distant relative, Eric Zhang; Yao Ming's overseas manager, John, Vice-President of University of Chicago business school; Yao Ming's domestic manager Lu Hao, attorney Wang Xiao Peng and Yao's mother, former Chinese women's basketball player. According to the press conference, John has NBA agent qualification and Lu has CBA agent qualification.

#6 windandsea, Jun 22, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2002
  7. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Bob Finn, I thought you were making that up as a joke until windandsea posted pretty much the same thing! His made a little more sense though. I'm still confused.

8. windandsea

¡¡¡¡The focus topic tonight is "the agreement of compensation" between Yao Ming and Shanghai Sharks. But the parties did not deliver any details about it. Lu Hao said:"Both sides have sincerity in the negotiation. Both sides compromised. I am very happy that both sides now achieved the agreement. We will continue to go forward from this foundation."

¡¡¡¡John said:"Now is not the time to discuss the details. It is the time to congratulate; This is the first step that Yao Ming joins NBA."

¡¡¡¡

9. cwww

cwww Member

Wind thanks for the effort.

I might be wrong but I think it is trying to say that John Huizinga and Lu Hao are approved by CBA to be Yao Ming's agent in NBA and CBA respectively.

10. BobFinn*

No joking about the #1 pick in the draft.

If you use IE, the tool bar above the "address" it has a translator (Alta Vista) http://babelfish.altavista.com/

#10 BobFinn*, Jun 22, 2002
  11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Does Yao Ming have to make a payment of some sort to the CBA? Or is it merely a political decision?

12. cwww

cwww Member

Great job Wind! I have tried to translate the article myself, but I found that it's too hard for me. I know both languages, but not enough to make such a direct translation though. :)

Are you using any translation software? or you do it all by yourself :O?

13. windandsea

Yao Ming's mother said:" The result today is achieved gradually. I am very happy."

¡¡¡¡According to the side of representatives discloses, the compentation agreement achieved today is just between Yao and Shanghai Sharks. The compentation that Yao Ming needs to give to CBA is "relative independent" . In addition, both sides decide that one important principle of "the agreement of compensation" is based on the performance of Yao Ming in NBA - "Benefit sharing, risk sharing".

¡¡¡¡

#13 windandsea, Jun 22, 2002
  14. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Here is the newest article from the Chronicle. According to it, Ming has to pay half to the CBA, and then the remaining half will be between the Sharks and him. I think he may end up with about a forth of his original salary.

June 22, 2002, 11:18AM

Deal struck with Yao's Chinese team
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Chinese center Yao Ming took a giant step closer to joining the Rockets through an agreement reached early today with the Shanghai Sharks. The deal was required to gain his release to play in the NBA.

Yao's co-representative John Huizinga said Yao and his former team had agreed to the amount of compensation that Yao would pay the Sharks out of his NBA income.

"We have made it past what we consider to be all along an extremely important milestone," Huizinga said. "The Sharks have agreed to terms acceptable to Yao in terms of compensation to Yao.

"The club will give him his release to play in NBA. That is very big news. We agreed to that. Everybody agreed. Everybody is on board. He will be released."

Huizinga and co-representative Eric Zhang still must negotiate with the China Basketball Association to get similar approval to recommend Yao for a letter of clearance needed. Huizinga would not discuss any details of the agreement with the Sharks.

The Rockets have made little secret about their intention to make Yao the first player taken in the draft once they receive the letter of clearance.

Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich and general manager Carroll Dawson referred questions today to team counsel Michael Goldberg. But upon his return from Shanghai, Tomjanovich said the team did want to choose Yao.

"We would like this thing to work out," Tomjanovich said then. "We would like to take Yao Ming."

Today's successful negotiations with the Sharks cleared what had been considered the most difficult hurdle.

Under Chinese regulations, half of Yao's salary would be split among the national sports bureau, the local sports bureau and the China Basketball Association.

The remaining half of his income would be split between the Shanghai Sharks and Yao based on today's agreement.

"CBA will give us a reply to our proposal by Monday (in Beijing) so I hope agreement can be reached with CBA quickly and I'm confident it can be reached before the draft," Zhang said.

Huizinga said decision-making about whether Yao would attend the draft in New York on Wednesday delayed negotiations with the CBA. He said he and Zhang have not received details of the CBA proposal nor an answer to their proposal.

Because there is less flexibility in negotiations with the CBA, however, those talks are not expected to be as difficult to complete.

"The CBA is very concerned with Yao's availability to play for the national team," Huizinga said. "It's an important issue. That's an issue the Rockets met with the CBA on. I understand they did a good job of laying groundwork for that. The CBA needs to know the Rockets support Yao playing for the national team. But now that also need to hear from Yao, to hear his intentions."

Huizinga said that agreement with the CBA is the remaining step toward a recommendation to Federation Internationale de Basketball (FIBA) that Yao receive the letter of clearance needed to play next season in the NBA. There are no negotiations needed with FIBA - with the Sharks' agreement and CBA's recommendation, the letter from FIBA would be considered a formality.

"Now it's on to dealing with the CBA, making sure they get release to FIBA in plenty of time for the draft," Huizinga said. "You don't want to get too overconfident, that's for sure. Nothing is done until it's done. We think we've built up quite

15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Oh my god! Does that mean that the agreement with the Sharks will last beyond Ming's first NBA contract - the contract that he will be GUARANTEED by the NBA when he is drafted #1?

The reason I ask is because there are NO risks involved. He will get his money without a doubt for the first three years. After that, it will be risky.

BTW, thanks for all the fantastic information over the past month.

16. windandsea

Attorney Wang Xiao Peng replies the question about the contact between Yao Ming and the American Ever Green Company that signed three years ago. He said "The attornees of China and America have studied this contract earnestly. According to NBA's Player Trade Union, it is one contract that seriously encroaches upon the player's benefit. "It will no longer affect Yao Ming's joining NBA."

¡¡¡¡John has contacted Yao many times. He said:"Without a doubt, Yao Ming will achieve great success in NBA. Yao still has many places to need to be developed. Yao also knew it clearly. He is willing to pay the price for this. Yao clearly has very good physical quality. If combined diligent with his body, he will have boundless prospects."

Repling to the statement of CBA which released yesterday, John said:"I am optimistic about Ming's attending the Draft."

17. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

This seems significant. If the Sharks have a financial stake in Ming's NBA success, they should be very cooperative in allowing him to be developed by his NBA team (read: preseason, etc.). I hope he can come to the same kind of agreement with the CBA and national team.

windandsea, thanks for all your efforts to keep us informed. You prove why this is the first, best place to go for Rockets info. You rock!

18. Old School

Old School Member

Thanks, W&S...you must be putting in some very late hours to keep us posted...thanks for the effort.

os

19. redao

redao Member

Let me make it clear and simple.
    "CBA needs to hand a certificate to FIBA and proves that Chinese basket association agrees Yao Ming to play at NBA"

This is a problem of FAX machine. IF they work well in Beijing, Shanghai,FIBA,Huston on Monday, FIBA paperwork is done.

It has to be expressed at that confusing but technical way.

We already saw the same technical word " the team draft ming".
    We know "the team" is Rockets for sure.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<b>"The CBA is very concerned with Yao's availability to play for the national team," Huizinga said. "It's an important issue. That's an issue the Rockets met with the CBA on. I understand they did a good job of laying groundwork for that. The CBA needs to know the Rockets support Yao playing for the national team. But now that also need to hear from Yao, to hear his intentions."</b>

So, they really just need to hear from Yao that he isn't going to bail on the National Team and his responsibilities there ala Wang. It isn't money for the CBA. It is protection.