1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Presidents of Harvard, MIT, Penn, Columbia should be forced to resign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 5, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's obviously different. We were talking about showing it at "protests". WITHIN THAT SETTING, there is no "depends on context", since the whole point of walking in a march or being at a protest is to voice your support for a cause.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So, obviously, it depends on the context. If you have read my full post, you would have seen the part about the professor under investigation for showing the Hamas flag.

Talking about the Hamas flag, in one of the exchanges with the grandest of grandstanding, Stefanik demanded the president of Columbia to commit to firing a professor under investigation for showing a Hamas flag (I'm not even sure what the context was; maybe it was for educational purposes, maybe it was a show of support for Hamas. That's the point, right - you need an investigation). She clearly didn't want to, but she relented and said yes, she commits, when she could have easily said, 'We are committed to the principle of investigating first before making a determination, and if indeed the professor blah blah blah, he would be fired.'

With that said, let's just make up a hypothetical about waving the flag of Hamas within the setting of an ongoing protest. During a large protest against the latest military conflict in Gaza, a group of student activists decided to wave the green Hamas flag as a symbol of Palestinian resistance and solidarity with the civilians in Gaza suffering under bombardments and blockades. They made no statement of harm toward Jewish students, but simply waved the flag. Perhaps those students isolated themselves too much through certain followers on social media platforms like Twitter or TikTok and didn't know Hamas has attacked civilians or were even led to believe Hamas only targeted Israel's military - this isn't that far-fetched, as there have been interviews with Gazans who said exactly this. You would only know that if you actually talked to them and asked why they were waving the flag. I know it's very difficult for people to take the simple task of asking for clarification (and the opportunity to learn and understand, and to educate).

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Waving the flag of a terror organization at a protest means you support the terror organization and what it does. Don't try to sugarcoat it.

I will never accept someone saying "Oh, someone was waving a swastika? Maybe they just wanted to express their support for Germans in a dark period of their history." Come on now.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What does "Go IDF" mean? Let's not sugar coat it, you are for killing Palestinian civilians with that statement in the context of stating it right after posts showing civilian deaths caused by IDF bombardment.

BUT

Perhaps you were isolated too much through certain followers on social media platforms like Twitter and didn't know that the IDF has killed thousands of children in Gaza. Perhaps you knew that, but your statement is a symbol of Israeli military's necessary actions against Hamas for Israel's right of existence. Perhaps you are just being an *******. Who knows, right? (I do know, just messing with you)

It's not sugarcoating, it's basic communication.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Go IDF" means:

Defeat Hamas militarily and free the hostages.

Hamas is an internationally recognized terror organization that
    • committed the largest mass murder of Jews since the holocaust on October 7th
    • committed rapes
    • kidnapped over 100 civilian hostages
    • announced it will use all its resources to try and repeat the October 7th attacks again and again and again
    • stockpiled huge amounts of weapons and created terror infrastructure, using international aid money
    • subjugates and murders political opponents, women, LGBTQ+ people, dissenters
    • uses human shields and wants more of their own civilian population to be killed so they can be used as "martyrs" for PR purposes
    • has been indoctrinating children and youth of Gaza to grow up and want to hate and murder Jews
    • uses suicide bombers to murder more Jews
    • has the eradication of the state of Israel and the murder of Jews in its charter
    The only way to reduce the risk of Hamas making true on its promise to repeat October 7 again and again and again, as they promised, is to defeat them militarily, once and for all.

You are on the side of Hamas, since you spread their propaganda.

I am on the side of those fighting to free the world from that evil.

[​IMG]

Go IDF.

Have a nice day.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As an adult, @Amiga can decide whose side to support. I have seen no posts from Amiga claiming to be on the side of Hamas. That is something you concocted and based on nothing posted by Amiga.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Anyone who defends Hamas or people who support Hamas or who spreads their propaganda and who blames Israel for what is clearly Hamas' responsibility (by taking human shields and not surrendering and returning the hostages) is complicit.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You guys are simply on the wrong side of history. One day, you might understand it. You are captured by propaganda.

You don't even see how illogical your support for "Palestine" is. You are siding with people carrying Hamas and Hezbollah flags.

Hamas and Hezbollah stand for exactly the opposite of what you guys were supposedly so passionately fighting for in the west - women's rights, LGBTQ+ rights, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc. etc.

Does "Palestine" need to be freed?

Yes.

But not from Israel.

It needs to be freed from the Islamist terror regime of Hamas.

By Israel.

I have no problem with people expressing support for innocent civilians being killed.

But where they are wrong is

1) where was/is that support when the innocent civilians being killed are Jewish?

2) they blame Israel, when they should be blaming Hamas. Hamas 100 % wanted and created this situation.

Instead, they side with people who wave Hamas flags, and make excuses for these people.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I already know what you meant but "go IDF". I do not assume the worst in humans, and I know enough about your posting history. Even if I don't, I'm curious enough about human motivation to try to understand it. As for your statement about me being on the side of Hamas, my only replies are:

1- This isn't about me. Argue the points.
    2- If I had the "current" ATW version of me, my statement would simply be "you are on the side of murdering Palestinian children."

As a side observation, the reason why we have such extremism and conflicts that lead to so many innocent deaths on both sides is that people aren't willing to communicate but are easily willing to assume the worst in others. This attitude contributes toward more suffering on all sides, not helping to reduce it.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are right. I don't actually believe that you want Jews to be murdered or anything like that. You are not evil. I take that back.

But I do think you (and not just you) are on the wrong side of history.

ROCKSS and Amiga like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Edit: I like the music though. Had to Shazam it: Medellin (Sofiane Pamart)

#1052 AroundTheWorld, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This mode of thinking is cancel culture, in a nut shell. Flatten all arguments and positions into “you are an ally or you are complicit”. And if you are complicit, it follows you should be ostracized.

You are exhibiting a lot of similarities with the “woke” mindset you so fervently rail against, whether you realize it or not.

No Worries likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hamas is responsible.

You were making all kinds of excuses for people supporting them. They could literally say I WANT TO SEE ZIONISTS DEAD and you would do mental gymnastics to say "oh that's not bad".

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

wow. for you of all people to post this is pretty hilarious.

paul pelosi was attacked and almost killed in his own home and you accused him of being gay and made fun of him for it.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Typical proisrael gaslighting. At least 34,305 Palestinians have been killed and 77,293 wounded in Israeli attacks on Gaza since October 7. But what about those harmed in Oct 7? What happened to Israel is a tragedy but the tragedy is still ongoing for the palestine folks not that proisrael people care.

But of course anyone calling Israel out is antisemitic. Ah yes its all hamas fault for israel reckless behavior and utter lack of care for palestine life as they commit war crimes and launch God knows how many missiles at civilians. It's all hamas fault that israel is commiting war crimes.

Atw literally made thread/ posts of accusing anybody leftist or propalestine as terrorist supporters or antisemitic. U wonder why there's so many propalestine protests bc of irrational gaslighting by proisrael folks trying to always claim to be the "victim" as more and more innocent palestines die.

If u like making simple accusation as anybody rooting for palestine is a jew hater, someone on the other side can make that same simple accusation that u are a Muslim hater rooting for idf.

Propaganda? It's so proisrael from the US media that it's quite wild for proisrael folks to think these protestor are being misguided/brain washed.

#1056 DatRocketFan, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Yes Hamas is abhorrent for what they did and taking human shields. I would like an answer. Hamas is not going to stop taking human shields. Is your view "**** it then. Kill the human shields?" How do you resolve this?

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member