1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Pope Says: Atheists can be good

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HI Mana, May 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Salvy

Salvy Member

According to The Bible the pope follows and has dedicated his whole life to he is wrong in every single way possible with said comments..... The Bible says the complete opposite of what he just said..... I think I'm gonna go ahead and stick to the actual Word instead of a pope's opinion on what will make him sound good and have people like him.....

Luke 18:19
    New International Version (©2011)
    "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

Ephesians 2:8-9
    New International Version (NIV)
    8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What other term would you use to describe it then? Nothing that is considered anecdotal evidence (albeit weakly) in the Bible is physically impossible. Talking bushes, parting a sea, creating entire planets.

Magic isn't meant to be offensive, its meant to emphasize that the events you hold to in Christianity that God has allegedly carried out are physically impossible and unclassifiable.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't hate people for practicing religion. Its a mutual benefit. They are more likely to become more charitable, and return they get the benefit of some sort of perpetual catharsis and something to look forward to after death.

It is when they decide that other people should follow that same religion too is where I find fault. Through law, or even by word of mouth I can't stand religious fanatics. Keep to yourselves.

4. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

You're basically agreeing with my premise then. The last sentence in my post was about fanatics, which every ideology has.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

That is illusion, not magic.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You are either trolling or you are just trying to be contrary. My basic premise about people and be belittled for their faith is sound.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You perceive it as belittling, but is not. It is an objective description of the bible's accounts.

Followers of that religion tend to call it miracles, but the premise is the same.

Powers, miracles, spells, whatever. Its the use of a supernatural ability that is not available to a common person.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you god, for making me an atheist...

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, it would be more like the magic in the Harry Potter sense. Not fake magic.

10. dback816

dback816 Member

The difference here is that "atheists" tend to believe all of us will just rot in the ground once they die.

While many religious people tend to believe they'll get saved and get to play poker with saints in heaven while everyone else burn.

Seems kind of one sided don't you think?