1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The point of tanking is not to be historically bad, it's to be just bad enough.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jul 5, 2012.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Many-armed Indian goddess facepalm when I read "why are we trying to sign young guys still"

Exhibit A: most successful tank job ever, San Antonio Spurs - held onto all their key veterans from a WC contender, held Robinson out, landed and HOF'r and the greatest PF ever. Laid the cornerstone for a decade point five of excellence

Exhibit B: Charlotte Bobcats - historical levels of futility in a franchise that shouldn't exist with a very, ahem, suspect management team. Result = Historical lulz, Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Ben Gordon, and a team that's probablly got 2 more lottos to go before they possibly turn it around.

The point of rebuilding through the draft is to ACTUALLY REBUILD AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE not to spend years in the wilderness playing the odds and hoping that one day, you swing a Blake Griffin instead of a Michael Olowakandi

Signing up promising young players gets you closer to that goal.

2. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

OKC/Seattle blew it up and in 3 years became a contender, smart drafting has more to do with it.

3. SamFisher

Smart drafting at the top of the draft, which was predicated on Portland's dumb drafting (the DD need-based strategy...)

You don't get any closer to the top of the draft by being exponentially worse, you do get a lot further from contending again.

4. Garner

Garner Member

No, having a transcendent player picked at #2 does it.

5. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Also, if the Rockets end up dumping Martin and Scola, they still need to meet minimum payroll, which for next year is 85% of the salary cap. Asik and Lin would be great pickups, becuase they wouldn't take away minutes from the other rookies, and both really need playing time to further develop their games.

6. David Stern

David Stern Member

So you've changed your mind and you're saying you would have signed Dragic for more than what the suns offered?

7. SamFisher

Dragic is 26 and has very little name recognition. (the only hardcore "Free Gogi" folks are his tweenage dream fanclub on this board...).

Lin (i'm no huge lin fan..) is 23 and at least generates some buzz among casual fans which fills Leslie's commercial requirements

Which one is better suited to a rebuilding project?

The 23 year old or the 26 year old?

Again, no great loss if there's no Lin, but he may be a promising piece in a few years, with more left in the tank than Dragic.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We don't have a Robinson-level player on our roster faking an injury. Yao's not walking through that door and we're not contending in two years. Signing role players like Lin and Asik to nearly 30% of the cap does nothing to help us.

The Bobcats style of rebuild is exactly what OKC did. During Durant's rookie year the only role players they had were Szcerbiak, Ridnour, Wilcox, and Collison. None of them were on long-term deals and all were gone the next season, with the exception of Collison.

The idea that we can follow SA's model is ludicrous.

9. David Stern

David Stern Member

If all other factors were equal I would agree with you wholeheartedly. BUT the problem is I don’t believe Lin is the caliber of Dragic (nor do I believe he can be)

I’m done b****ing about Dragic….what’s done is done. I’ll try to accept it and move on but this one hurts

10. SamFisher

The idea isn't to follow San Antonio's model ....that's impossible.

The idea is to not follow the Clippers/Bobcats etc model.

Stay as close to the top as you can when you are on the bottom...not go all in to historical awfulness and hope that a Kevin Durant falls to you by pure random chance...those are the exceptiosn that prove the rule and rarely work.

11. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Lucky drafting. Presti is the most overrated GM.

12. rocketseagles07

so he got lucky on durant, harden, ibaka, AND WESTBROOK. Don't act like all those were popular picks either. Be for real, Sam deserves his props.....

13. Mr.Rocket85

Mr.Rocket85 Member

Tanking is tanking. Mediocre is mediocre. No matter how you slice it.

14. rocketseagles07

^^^ we're all popular picks*

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Agreed, I am also anti-tank. You don't need a top 5 pick to improve through the draft.

16. candyman285

candyman285 Member

Wait everyone, I think we got Gary Forbes in the Kyle Lowry trade to the Raptors.

Dwight Howard like stats:

6 points, 2 rebounds, and 1 assist a game = SPLASH!!! :p

17. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I hope, barring some huge surprise of a break out rookie season to be in the 5-9 range, who knows, we could get lucky and get a top 3 pick from there. Otherwise, hopefully we have a good evaluator of talent, which I think we do.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

your fate is dependent on ping pong balls and 20 year old millionaires

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Is this what David Stern meant...stop going after Dwight...go into tank mode and you will be the Number 1 pick...seriously...im gonna go to Vegas and make my bet...the Rockets will end up with the Number 1 pick next year...too bad its probably one of the worst Draft classes projected...:(

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The point of tanking is not to be historically bad, it's to be just bad enough.

for as short a time as possible.

Spurs were bad for one year. I understand that you are saying you don't want us to fall into a repetitive mode of suck. To be know as suckers and bad team would be a bad direction. The tanking needs to be surgical.. in and out..