1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The point guard problem.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnnydeezy1, Jul 21, 2016.

1. OtisHerrera

OtisHerrera Member

This is a great post. But how do you reconcile this with the fact that D'Antoni's system really only saw success with Steve Nash, a prototypical field-guard/point guard?

2. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Hmm, a playmaking, ball-dominant PG is not what this team needs. If Bev can get back to playing all-NBA defense and can hit his 3's then he for sure will be good enough to start at the 1. Other alternatives could be players who shoot well off the dribble, so that Harden doesn't have to carry the ball 80% of the time. However, it's hard to find shot-creators that also play great defense, and great defense is really what is important for us, given Harden's deficiencies on that half.

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Great point. I don't really have a magic bullet to reconcile that. I was one of the many here who were loudly opposed to D'Antoni. Now that it is what it is, I'm rolling with the punches and hoping for the best.

I think Harden's assists will look more Nash-y this year. He already averaged 7.5 with a 'wing it' system based on shooting tons of 3s with not too many great shooters. Now he will be in an actual system flanked by a much improved stable of shooters. MDA's Suns had Diaw and Barbosa bringing in 4 assists per game each. Collectively they were like Dray being the big on the Warriors leading that team in assists. It remains to be seen who is going to join Harden in assisting points. A lot remains to be seen.

I think the Warriors show you what a D'Antoni system looks like without a prototypical PG. Even though that's not D'Antoni as the head coach over there. And I think a lot of their success is a reflection of their culture. They get credit for that, not MDA. Good culture begets winning.

"The system is position-less" was lifted directly from MDA himself in a press conference when he came to the Rockets.

He also made a point in multiple interviews when he came here about not litigating the past. But then with the Knicks he said he had revolving door of players, and talked about how they had to gut the team for Melo. I think with the Lakers and with the Knicks, it shows you how MDA system is not successful without good culture. Both of those teams were crap heaps, culture-wise. A lot of that does fall on the head coach, which is why he'd rather not litigate the past.

4. rednationballer

rednationballer New Member

Lets get Ricky!

#25 rednationballer, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Stop talking about Jack...he's not even cleared to play yet.

Who was tricked about Bev? We know what he is...people aren't being tricked to think he's a perfect fit, some of us just understand we've got bigger holes up front, as well as with overall lack of star power next to James. We're not winning anything without that, so that should be a priority. That's what will attract the role guys at good prices and will make everything fall in place.

People need to come up with realistic solutions instead of just saying Morey is at fault. Who can we afford right now that wants to play the role we offer? Who can we trade for that won't force us to give up too much?

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

We don't have a point guard problem. Harden runs the offense. Beverly and Gordon play off the ball on offense, guard the 1 on defense. Priggy fills in when somebody inevitably gets hurt.

7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

We don't need another PG; we need another playmaker. What we lost when Parsons and left and what we had for the first season after Parsons(towards the end) with Josh Smith was a secondary playmaker. This is what we need.

Not a legit, ball dominant PG. Just another somewhat playmaker.

8. ballgame

ballgame Member

YOU GOT TO BE DARYL MOREY!! No one else on Earth thinks this way except him. This is why he haven't drafted a PG since AB and continue to draft PF and C....I can't believe people watch basketball and think we don't need a Good PG.

That's just like saying The Texans don't need a QB, we have Cecil Shorts, he ran the Wildcat last yr. and Braxton Miller, he played QB for Ohio State they can handle the QB duties. :rolleyes:

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We drafted Canaan like, three years ago.

10. ballgame

ballgame Member

I understand what you are saying but we need to upgrade the guard position next to Harden, Beverly is NOT a starting PG and no one else in the starting unit is a playmaker, not: Anderson, Ariza, Beverly, nor Capela. That's how teams focus on Harden.

Since there are numerous PGs in the league, it's easier to acquire a playmaking PG, than at any other position. I thought Mario Chalmers would have been perfect next to Harden; a bigger point guard, has 3 point range, plays defense and can make plays.

Why in the HELL we signed Prigioni, I'm still scratching my head behind that move. Like I said, maybe DM wanted to complete the roster before he went on Vacation.

Not one intelligent person has agreed with that move!

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Umm..no it's not. big difference between how positions are played and defined in football.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You have inside info on how much Chalmers is willing to sign for?

13. ballgame

ballgame Member

My bad but you must admit, two PG in 10 yrs is not putting a lot of effort in that position.

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

I was just saying how he is referencing players at other positions can play PG, just because they have handles. In comparison, just because Cecil Shorts and Braxton Miller played the QB position, doesn't make them NFL Caliber QBs.

With saying all of that, I don't think DM has invested enough in that position. This is why we have the worst players at that position in the NBA. While I don't think you need to have a Chris Paul or a Steph Curry to win a NBA Championship, you do need somebody at that position to keep them honest and Beverly is NOT it!

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because drafting for need is the best way for a playoff team to instantly bring in help?

Youre way off. Drafting is not the way, especially with point guards. We don't have time to wait for them to develop and gain experience.

You just wrote its easier to get pgs around the league, but now you say they should have been wasting their picks on their need for a pg?

Morey played it right....he just struck out or options didn't develop as expected. It happens. the priority should, and has been, on getting another all-star, especially over the last year or so.

16. ballgame

ballgame Member

No I don't but it's only July and I think if Morey would have held out longer, rather than rushing and signing a player that no other NBA team wants or would consider, we could have got some on better.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're focusing on Pat like he's THE problem or weakest link...he's not. Obviously having a better pg would help, but you can say that about every position/role...it goes without saying.

Our problem was that Dwight became Tyson Chandler..so that weakened our offennsive options...brewer became a zero...limits us even more...ariza and bev were already limited, as well as capela...Jones fell off completely...KJ also limited offensively, etc

Problem is having too much of that...not simply Pat...yes we can upgrade pg, would help, but another star or more shooters helps too. At least Pat hit his threes..can't say the same for Brewer, KJ, Ariza..

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

If you look at my comments, I said over the course of 10 yrs. He has only drafted 2 point guards in the past 10 yrs, compared to how many PFs? And to prove he does not know what he's doing, not one of those PFs were worth anything. That's why we went out and paid $20MM to Ryan Anderson.

Morey doesn't necessary have to draft PGs in the draft, I just want him to have a successful draft and just hit once...JUST ONCE! I can't think of anyone he's drafted that has turned out to be an All-Star. Can you?

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

like who? for the minimum? If he waited and struck out because they were all too expensive, would you then consider that incompetence on his part or a good risk taken?

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We don't need the prototypical point guard because the ball will be in Harden's hands most of the time. We need an off the ball point guard who excels at defense and can knock down three's.