1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Picture of Aaron Gray

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kevinkong

kevinkong New Member

we dont need him,but if he could play like Marc Gasol,maybe worthy a try,but now...

2. nadman89

nadman89 Member

i wouldnt mind aaron gray at center but then we'd have to upgrade @ SF maybe try to trade for iggy

3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I like Aaron Gray; he definitely has potential as the 4th guy off the bench who comes in when the starter picks up 2 quick ones in the first, then proceeds to make 4-5 good plays in a row as the announcers say "xxx is giving Coach YYY some great minutes tonight". Basically, the role Chuck Hayes should be in. Looking ahead though, I can't really see where he gets minutes. I think that Patrick Patterson should get as many minutes as fouls allow next year, which will necessitate playing some backup 5. After that, you need to give minutes to Hill/Thabeet to see if there's anything there; and Marcus Morris is going to need time there as well as he gets acclimated to the NBA.

If there's no serviceable backup center on the team between Thabeet and the multitude of athletic 4s, fine. But you have to at least try and see. All Gray is going to be is a crutch for McHale, a minutes sponge that gives him a chance to let the younger players rot.

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Grey is a fantastic bench player. He is basically a giant 7' tub of lard, good at defense too.

5. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Word is that the Celtics are likely gonna pursue him.

He'd be a perfect fit alongside KG.

6. cod

cod Member

LOL, why even bring up Gasol's name? CF's FTL.

7. acjeitherocket

lmao....

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ive always liked this guy... May not be a star but hes a good player!

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's garbage. He's just a tall still no offensive player.

A statue that just takes up space. Minimum contract type player.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Forget Nene. Give this guy the max!

11. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

I would rather play thabeet 48mins a night then see Aaron Gray in a Rockets jersey. Seriously why would you want a 7 ft stiff on the team when we have one?

Chuck Hayes > Gray

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is exactly how I feel. The botom line in looking at signing a free agent center is COULD HE ACTUALLY OUTPERFORM CHUCK. If the answer is no, then dont waste the money.

Trust me, I want a shotblocking center as much as anyone on this board, but shotblocking, space-eating, and "intimitation" do not outweight poor production in almost every other facet of the game.

If they want a 7 footer to just start the game, win an occasional tipoff, and only play 15 situational minutes a game then just play Thabeet. Like Bima said, your already paying the guy.

-That being said I fully support Morey working the phones on a trade for an upgrade big like Robin Lopez, Al Jefferson, Kaman, or even Biedrins. If trading Hill & Thabeet as expirings lands you Biedrins or Kaman I would be happy with that upgrade.

But signing another dud center to play 15 minutes a game, look better coming off the bus, and keep the fans happy makes no sense when you already have Thabeet there to do the that trick.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

BTW, A picture of Aaron Gray?

Here:

[​IMG]

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question is not whether the guy is better than Chuck overall. We are not talking about giving all of Chuck Hayes minutes to Aaron Gray.

The question we should ask is whether Gray is better than the current C crop (including both Chuck, assuming he returns, and Scola, Patterson, Hill, etc.) in certain specific situations/matchups. To me the anwer is clearly "yes." For one thing, Aaron Gray does almost as good a job guarding Dwight Howard as Chuck Hayes-- and you need more than one guy defending Howard due to foul trouble. He is also an above-average rebounder. In many situations, I'd rather have Gray on the floor than, say, Jordan Hill.

15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I like the title of the thread, but that's the only thing I like about this idea.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2011/12/new_orleans_hornets_in_the_hun.html

You Aaron Gray haters can suck it. Real hoops professionals knows how valuable Gray is.

By the way, Morey can learn a thing or two about how to treat people right from the Hornets management. Truly classy management does not make your own guys wait on the back burner of the bus.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

didn't the Hornets make the playoffs last season?

18. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

LOL at the people here overrating Aaron Gray.

I think Aaron Gray's success had more to do with Chris Paul than it did with Gray himself.

Chris Paul can make any big man look good. remmeber Tyson Chandler that one season.

I think Gray's success againist the Lakers last year had more to do with how good Chris Paul is than Gray

But im on board with saying bring him on the Rox( we need all the bigs we can get)

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Sounds familiar.

[​IMG]

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member