1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Picture of Aaron Gray

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Of course he can. Chris Paul is at least vaguely aware of Aaron Gray's existence. Is Chris Paul vaguely aware of Kevin Martin's existence? NO!

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If you're serious about making the playoffs, you need players like Aaron Gray. No, he may never start or play 30 minutes a night -- but he's a 7 footer that can give you some valuable minutes off the bench.

If you're telling the fan base that your goal is to make the playoffs, you shouldn't be playing Thabeet over Gray because "you're already paying him." Barring some miraculous development, Gray would help this team much more than Thabeet ever could.

It's not like AG will be an expensive contract -- I'd imagine 2M/year?

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Admit it...the only reason you started this thread is because you wanted to get that thread title in ;).

1 person likes this.
  4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

DORIAN GRAY REFERENCE FTW!!!

5. Carl Herrera

6. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

WE WANT CARL LANDRYYYYYYY

7. psingh34

psingh34 Member

you base this on what exactly.... their stats, even stretched out to 48 min a game for equalizing show hill having more points and almost a block more per game .. other peoples trash always seems like treasure but really they are both about the same. id love to see a stat that shows otherwise

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

There's not much out there for an option at center, so I can understand giving him a look.

That said, I would still rather play a combination of Hayes (better defense) and Donatas (probably better offense) than him at center depending on match ups.
    Hayes and D-Mo aren't the answer, but I don't think he's the defensive shot-blocker or rim protector we're looking for either.

On the other hand, if we did get him I wouldn't care either, it would be reaching at straws but chances are he would still out perform thabeet or Hill as backup. Whatever really.

9. psingh34

psingh34 Member

umm kevin martin was number 9 in scoring last year at 23.5 per game.. and he averaged 24 points against them last year including a 33 point game.. i am pretty sure chris paul is aware of kevin martins existence ...

10. psingh34

psingh34 Member

all these centers that are being thrown out (the trash centers like gray, sanders, zaza) look at their numbers compared to chuck hayes .. first of all we know stats dont tell the story about hayes bc he is such a lock down defender and one on one, ill take my chances with chuck than any of those guys on the list. secondly his stats (stretched to 36 min for comparable comparison ) are BETTER! than they guys that are being mentioned .. per 48 min .. grays stats are 11.7 pts 15.5 rebounds 1.1 blocks.... chucks stats 13.4 13.8 1.1 .. and chucks are more close to accurate since he played more.... not to mention the fact that chuck is going to take more charges (one charge is more than one block, the other team gets a foul you are assured the ball as a result.) not to mention the fact that chuck gets more steals and is better for ball movement (passing)on offense .. the player we get should actually be a better player the chuck not just a taller player ..

11. monster

monster Member

I'd like to see Thabeet play at least 5-10games before deciding to dump him for peanuts. He may be a bust, but damn, he's 7'3". Can't we at least play him? We aren't going to be world champs next year.....let's give Thabeet and TWill a chance to play.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

THIS. Thank you.

Hasheem Thabeet is the Houstonian Aaron Gray. :p

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

And what if he's not? Then we shrug our shoulders and go through another year with having no capable 7 footer on the roster? Aaron Gray can give you 10-15 minutes a game. If you can sign him for 2M/year (double his current salary), exactly what is the harm in having BOTH him and Thabeet on the roster? :confused:

I don't see any reason why we can't sign Gray with Thabeet on the roster. If Thabeet develops, then great, play him. Gray could easily be shipped off like David Andersen was without hurting our cap flexibility. If Thabeet is still Thabeet, then at the least we have a legitimate backup 7 footer that can put a body on opposing bigs for 15 minutes a night.

14. alethios

alethios Member

Ask and you shall receive...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. psingh34

psingh34 Member

if u needed a still seven footer to play 10-15 min u might as well have kept brad miller... out center requirement should not just be ... must be seven foot or taller

16. van chief

van chief Member

I concur, worst case we get a serviceable 7 footer, best case we get 2 serviceable 7 ft centers

I think that many of you are also missing a key point, we can actually sign this guy to a decent contract.

Gasol is staying in memphis, dalembert is old and going to miami....

17. van chief

van chief Member

BRAD MILLER did not play defense well, is old and his trips to the lane always ended in turnovers and him with his arms in the air signaling an extra point

18. thejav

thejav Member

Do not want nor need..

19. Carl Herrera

Given free agency is almost here, it's time to revisit the idea of Aaron Gray, as well as he physical existence.

If the Rockets strike out with Nene, Marc Gasol and DeAndre Jordan, Aaron Gray should be looked at as a lower-cost alternative to fill in for 10-15 MPG.

20. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

First I thought 8.7 pts in 14 minutes. Then I saw he was white and re read the post more carefully.