1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The physical test report of Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Jun 8, 2002.

1. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Many fans concern about Ming¡¯s health and his injuries. Some suggested that Rockets should add a doctor to their delegate to China. I think this is not necessary at all. Ming has accepted a very complete physical test at Chicago. This is a interview of Ming after he came back China.

Ming: I attended the public work-out at May 1st. At May 2nd, I accepted a physical test hold by NBA. It cost a whole day to do this test¡­.. Do you know how many X-rays they took for me? 32. And they did three CT for me. Twice for my two knee arthrosis. When I mentioned casually that I had a illness when I was a kid and my hearing of left ear was slightly damaged, they did a CT for my left ear immediately. They drew a large cup of blood for blood-testing. That cup is larger than the cup that Bateer uses to drink tea. They tested very carefully, from hair to toe.

Ming said that he only played ten minutes ¡°good show¡± in the public workout at Chicago because of jet-lag. This is the Chinese version of this article: http://sports.sohu.com/46/45/sports_news164404546.shtml

Rockets just need to go to NBA and say : I have the #1pick and want to pick Ming. Please show me his physical test report.

2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Another Ming Hater theory shot down. But don't worry, the Ming Haters will come up with something new.

3. Panda

Panda Member

Nice scoop.

4. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

you tha man!

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

So when is the next article from Chi or NY media about his ear problem? :p :p :p

Seems like every problem, issue, or roadblock turns out to be a hoax spread out by the Chi and/or NY media.:mad:

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Thanks windandsea. Keep the information coMING.

The name is Yao. The time is now.

7. ESource

ESource Member

Then if it was okay for him to be tested there, then why couldn't the Rockets test him themselves?! If the Chinese get the assurance that the Rockets will take Ming, there shouldn't be a reason why Ming couldn't be tested by the Rockets, right? The precedent has already been set at Chicago, what am I missing about this?

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I assume it's because he was in America then and at an official workout, and he's not anymore. I'm sure it's hard for the Rockets travel team and Ming's current team to arrange a proper day and time that they could do all of this in. IMO, the tests from the Chicago workout are fine...

9. windandsea

First of all, the doctor of Rockets is not as good as the physical team of NBA. (right?)

Second, it's not easy to arrange a whole day to do those examinations again: 32 X-rays, 3 CTs, blood-testing.....

Third, can he find the most advanced instruments in China?

I think the physical examination which hold by NBA is enough to show Ming's health.

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If you pull up Windandsea's link, you will see a cartoon of Ming towering over Antoine Carr.

11. windandsea

[​IMG]

It's Shaq. Right?

12. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

ha and you guy think shaq will dominate ming. Look at the picture, yao's arms are bigger than shaq's head!!

13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

So they're saying he had to do all this medical testing, give blood, then do the Chicago workout. They say he did great at the workout except for the post moves, but wouldn't all that medical throw your game off? I bet he is much better than those workouts show.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, the Rockets team doctor, Dr. Walter Lowe, is one of the most well regarded sports medicine orthapedic surgeons in the United States. He is a 'Clinicial Associate Professor' with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the 15 or so best medical schools in the US as well as a 'Clinical Instructor' for the University of Texas Medical School in Houston. You can see a biographical web page on him here.

I'll defer to you on this. I know very little about the actual infrastructure of Chinese medicine.

I think the answer to this question is perhaps unique to the medical environment in the United States. Because there have never been any significant 'checks' on the salary of physician (the average first year salary for an orthapedic sugeon is $180,000 and the top first year salary is in the range of $300,000), and because is is relatively easy to sue for malpractice and get very large awards, US physicians are in many ways like Basketball players. They like to be the ones taking 'the big shot'.

If Dr. Lowe accepted another physician's word on this subject without question, it would be like passing the ball at the last moment and letting someone else shoot.

I think it is normal for him to 'express concerns' and 'seek his own evaluation'. When it turns out that it is unfeasable, he will then make a tentive evaluation based on what information he has, and the Rockets staff will take it accordingly.

15. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I'm an orthopedic surgeon.

And I have visited China as a guest of the Chinese Medical Association. The expertise and technology in the U.S. is, by and large, far superior to what we experienced in China. I'd be shocked if the Rocket's medical team didn't personally examine Ming prior to drafting him. With respect to the "Chicago" evaluation, sounds like they checked everything that could have potentially been a problem, and the results of many of those CT's, MRI's etc. may not need to be repeated by Dr. Lowe and team.

Again, I just can't see the Rocket's committing to a pivotal "franchise" draft pick without a personal examination by the medical team.

Dallas Rocket

16. TraJ

TraJ Member

As long as all the data is made available, including the x-rays, I can't figure out why the Rockets would need to run more tests--unless some part of the data is unclear or raises a question. Lowe and his associates can give all the data the once-over twice, and we will at least know the basics of the situation.

17. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

If you're Les Alexander & you're about to pay a player several million dollars, would you override the very experts that you hired to make these decisions, based on someone's examination, that has no vested interest in your business?

If the NBA's doctors overlooked something during the examination, that becomes a chronic injury, does anyone think that the NBA would pick up the tab for Ming's salary? I doubt it!

Dr. Lowe isn't willing to sign off on someone elses examination. I can't blame him for that. Just let the Rocket's doctors examine Ming & that will eliminate any medical concerns. What's so difficult about that?

18. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

exactly Traj.

Dallas Rocket:
    As in... trading 3 first rounders for Eddie Griffin???

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just intrestred... assuming you had all of the tests and you were satisfied with the quality of the x-rays, etc. and perhaps even had a video of the medical evaluation, would a 'personal examination' tell you wouldn't have already learned, as an orthapedic surgeon?

I mean, I it might seem a little more important if you were a dermatologist, but can you really get a whole lot more information than the tests would have returned, or would you give him a tactile physical examination for soft tissue stuff, or what? I'd imagne that Dr. Lowe wouldn't be looking an non-orthapedic stuff, or would he?

20. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Ottomaton,

The battery of tests, scans etc. that have already been done are great and typically would not have to be repeated. Understand, this is much more than a typical "history and physical." I think they will use all the medical information available to date, but still believe they will personally examine him. Just as important as the exam is the questioning (medical history), in extraordinary detail, about anything that could have an impact on his on-court performance (previous problems or injuries etc. etc.)...and they will leave no stone unturned. They may also do their own testing for strength, endurance, cardiovascular fittness, flexibility and the like.

I, for one, would not "sign off" on anyone else's examination and testing.

Dallas Rocket