1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

RocketMac,

do you still think Swift could be the next Garnett?

or were you misquoted in that thread about Swift? ;)

Onto the topic, PF spot? i wasnt aware we actually had one. As Rocketmac quite rightly stated its only a bonus if the 4 can knock a mid range J. But thats NOT! what we want or need. I dont even wanna bring up Swift, I've said enough about my thoughts in other posts.

Give Ming an enforcer, bring in a Fortson type who will go Ron Artest once in awhile but at least give us some serious presence. Then address the shooting issue. Does it seem like a reflection of a watered down, too many teams league that wing players like we have cant shoot worth a damn? Pro frickin swingmen and guards that dont make open shots? :eek:

2. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

you know what ..you are just contradicting yourself.. you just said that we need a PF who can shoot midrange J's(As Rocketmac quite rightly stated its only a bonus if the 4 can knock a mid range J. But thats NOT! what we want or need) ..then u say we need a Fortson type of player who cant hit a single basket.. r u outta ur mind ??? u need Fortson ? for what ?? to get Technical fouls? or to step on others' toes.. ?? I dont know what's wrong with u .. u think that JHO is the best fit for this team ?? I dont know what the heck ur thinking/? u hate on Swift.. and u think that u got me by quoting "Swift is the next Garnett".. I didnot say that ..I said Swift has the POTENTIAL (potential: Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent:Having possibility, capability, or power. ) to be able to play in the Garnett level but I didn't say that he is going to.. all I said is: Swift has the body, the athleticism, the hops, and other basics to becoming a Garnett type of player, but he needs to work on his IQ and his understanding of the game of basketball ( he needs to have a good coach and some real experience).. so please... pardon me for the misunderstanding ..

3. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

thank you sir... I finally found a Rockets fan who understands what is going on..

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Your question should be why doesn't JVG see what you and RocketMac see. I agree with JVG, Hayes is a scrub who is a liability on the offensive end. Give me a guy that has a chance of playing both sides of the ball like Juwan and Stro over Hayes anytime.

Juwan isn't the answer for sure but his contract was the price for bringing TMac here. I think we're stuck with him until his contract expires.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

if you're thinking we don't need to address the 4, don't just look at those stats.. look at defensive ability..and realize we're severely lacking when juwan is out there. and depending on the day, maybe lacking when stro is out there. That, in a conference loaded with 4's, is huge

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is our best PF. I've been saying it for 3 months now. His rebound rate is top 5 in the whole league. He gets blocks. He gets steals. He's a defensive force. He crashes the offensive glass.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Chuch Hayes plays poor team defense.

8. durvasa

Name a rookie who never made mistakes on rotations every once and a while. He's still our best defensive player, by far.

#28 durvasa, Apr 10, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He just missed 2 FTs with the game on the line, thats why he's a liability. He does do the things you say but his results are magnified by the sample size of his playing time. Juwan just made the a last second shot that won't count but would you count on Hayes to take that shot ever. If Hayes wants to stay in this league he has to develop an offensive game of some sort.

10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just watched Hays miss two free throws when we are one point down and 5 seconds on the clock. Thats why Hays doesn't play, he is inconsistent. Say waht you want about his hustle and such, he does disapear and you really do not know what you will get when you put him in.

Say what you want about Howard's short comings (and he has plenty), but he does can the open 15 footer and he does play passable defense. And he does both of those things against a variety of opponents.

If Howard was our back up PF, we would be pretty deep at that position. The problem is the dissapointment of Stromile Swift. I was excited about signing him, man what an optimist I was. It wasn't until I saw how disapointing he was that it finally dawned on me' if Hubie Brown couldn't get 'it' out of Swift when the rest of the team was buying into his system, 'it' ain't coming out.

11. koopa

koopa Member

STuck with Juwan..for rest of contract which will get fatter each year. Swift can be traded since NJ want him

Koopa

12. durvasa

Of course, it's not worth mentioning that he also gave us 10 rebounds in 21 minutes. It's not worth mentioning that he got to the free throw line off a hustle play (grabbing the offensive board from another player's miss). That he scored his 9 points going 4-4 from the field.

Yeah, this game was a perfect indication of why Chuck Hayes shouldn't play. :rolleyes:

http://www.82games.com/0506/0506HOUP.HTM

This shows that with Yao and Hayes on the floor together, we scored at a rate of 101.3 points per 48 minutes. With Yao and Howard on the floor together, we scored at a rate of 89.3 points per 48 minutes. Yeah. The Rockets have been a real offensive juggernaut this season with Juwan on the floor. Never mind that Juwan is a much less efficient scorer (49.9 TS% versus 55.1% for Hayes). Nevermind that Hayes offense rebounds the ball at nearly twice the rate Juwan does. Nevermind that Juwan turns the ball over at over twice the rate Hayes does. All that matters is Juwan can hit his wide open 15 foot jumper at a 45% clip. Brilliant!

13. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

you know what, that's the problem with Rockets fans these days.. they only look at the flashy part of the game.. the last minute.. basketball games are won by playing perfect 48 minutes.. not by hitting free throws at the end of a game we are willing to tank..but let me tell u this, do u know that if we didn't play Chuck at all, we would've lost by 10 or more.. do u know that ?? do u realize what a big effects he has on a game... please dont tell me Juwan you'd trust Juwan to take a shot.. did u see all the stupid shots he missed ?? he missed a ton of layups ..now I am not a big fan of stats and I dont believe in them, and the worst way to judge Hayes is by looking at his stats because his impact on the game is much bigger than numbers... here is a little something for Juwan's lovers and Chuck's (he cant play D or Offense, cant hit free throws, sucks, not a better player than Juwan.... ) guys..

POS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF TOT AST PF ST TO BS PTS
    C. HAYES
    08:56 4-4 0-0 1-3 4 6 10 0 2 3 0 0 9

J. HOWARD
    F 29:39 12-20 0-0 1-1 1 3 4 0 4 1 1 0 25

yes sir, Chuck has 10 rebs ... Juwan has 4 .. Chuck played 8, JHO played 29 minutes, Chuck is 100% FG, Juwan is 12/20 (not bad, had a lucky night), Juwan.. Juwan has 25, Chuck has 9.. but if you make a simple math work you'll find out that if Chuck played 32 minutes (multiply his minutes by 4) which slightly longer than JHO's minutes, he would have put up (9*4= 36 points).. yes sir, 36 points and 40 rebs... Now I know he aint gonna get 40 rebs nor 36.. but that just tells u how right I am... Chuck is alot better than Juwan.. Chuck doesn't have to work on anything, yes including his free throws ..I'd take him anytime instead of Jho... and dont forget he is just a rookie.. when I say something bad about Luther, everybody goes crazy on me saying that he is just a rookie.. well, there u have it, Chuck is a rookie that is Undrafted ..so what do u think??? Juwan Howard ??/ the big veteran who gets the big bucks ???

14. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

it says he played 8 minutes on Rockets.com .. it's probably an error.. but still, he still would have done better than Juwan..

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

We wouldn't even in that game had it not for Chuck's play. So if you want to dog on Chuck's brilliant two missed FTs, give it a rest now.

16. durvasa

Getting offensive rebounds and scoring efficiently doesn't count as offense? If that's the case, Detroit is crazy for playing Ben Wallace.

If Juwan Howard was under the basket on that play, would he have even gotten that offensive board and gone to the free throw line? No, he would have let the other team get the board and committed the foul against them. So, on that play, you could say Juwan would have been just as much a liability.

It's also clear that Hayes has a much bigger impact on defense than Juwan does on offense. Look at his +/- over his 415 minutes of court time:

http://www.82games.com/0506/05HOU14D.HTM

Yes, that's +11.0 points/100poss with Hayes on versus off the court.

Now, look at Juwan's:

-11.0 points/100poss with Howard on versus off the court.

Now look at this, spefically the W and L columns:

21 times this season, Rockets outscored opponents while Hayes was on the court. 11 times they were otuscored while Hayes was on the court. That's a "win%" of 65.6%. By far the largest for any players who've played in more than a couple games.

Now look at what it shows for Juwan. 25 "wins" (times Rockets outscored opponent with Juwan on the court), 49 "losses" (opponent outscored Rockets with Juwan on the court). So, despite Juwan playing in 40 more games with Houston, he only has 4 more "wins" to show for it than Hayes. Wow.

In terms of individual stats (for which 250+ minutes is a statistically sound sample), Hayes has a 16.8 PER. Only Yao and Tracy are higher. Juwan Howard has a 12.3 PER, which is barely passable even for a second string player.

Here's a summary:
    Code:
    	mpg	pts/40	oreb/40	treb/40	ast/40	stl/40	blk/40	to/40	TS%
    Howard	31.7	14.2	2.6	8.4	1.9	0.7	0.1	2.1	49.9%
    Hayes	11.9	10.7	4.8	13.7	1.1	1.6	1.0	1.0	55.7%

I guarantee that if Hayes got 25-35 minutes a game like Howard, he'd be averaging a double-double. And we'd be winning a hell of a lot more games. It bugs the hell out of me when people on the radio keep talking about our "PF problem" without even mentioning that we got a defensive stud on our hands who barely gets any playing time.

#36 durvasa, Apr 10, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  17. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

:) love is in the air

18. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

we're ok at pf

we need shooters that are young with size...at least 6'4 and above

it would be nice if we could trade juwan and start swift since he plays better with yao and have hayes as the backup

then we could sign a shooter or maybe trade juwan for one and if we have to include the draft pick in the trade as well, i say we do it

its much better to get a proven player than a rookie

19. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

Hayes might be the best PF we have now. The problem is that he is only 6'6". Can you imagine he is defending those big PFs in the west, duncan,gasol,or garnett??. He will be good off bench, 10-15 minutes playing time. Case closed.

20. durvasa

Is Hayes a worse defender against those guys than Howard or Swift? Did height prevent Dennis Rodman from being a superior post defender? The answers, of course, are no and no.

Here's a comparison, by the way, of Dennis Rodman in 1990 (his first year winning Defensive Player of the Year) and Chuck Hayes in his rookie season:

Code:
    		pts/40	ast/40	TS%	blk/40	stl/40	RebR	ToR	PER

Rodman (90)	12.1	1.2	60.8%	1.0	0.9	19.0	11.9	15.4
    Chuck Hayes	11.0	1.0	57.1%	0.9	1.8	20.4	7.2	17.7

TS% is scoring efficiency, RebR is percentage of rebounds grabbed while on the court, and ToR is turnovers per 100 used possessions. And considering that Hayes has generally played better, per minute, in games where he's gotten significant playing time, I have no doubt that he'd achieve the same numbers playing 25+ minutes a game.

People keep bring up Hayes's height as an excuse to not give him playing time. In what facets of the game is Hayes's weaker than Juwan (shooting, and that's about it)? Now, ask yourself, do any of those areas have anything to do with height? If the answer is no, then height is a moot point as far as who should be getting more playing time between the two.

#40 durvasa, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006