1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The perfect backcourt sidekick for James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Jimmy Butler is playing out of his mind. And the current MIP.
    However a buy low on Paul George should be the way to go. Especially with how Granger recovery turn out for Pacers.

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Are you saying we should go after PG, he isn't available.

Butler will be available after the season it just depends if Chicago will match a Max contract or not.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At this point, I'm thinking Canaan may turn out to be a great running mate for Harden. A small SG in a point guards body that knock down shots and chase after other PG's in the league.

4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Going after an long term injured player with MAX contract on a bad team is way easier than going after the best player who is young and on a pretty decent team.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I beg to differ.

One player is in the beginning stages of a max contract meaning we would somehow have to match salaries. The other player is "easier" to obtain since he's going to be a restricted free agent next summer. If Morey wants Butler bad enough (and I'm not saying he's even on Morey's radar) then he could work out a deal similar to what Parsons got, e.g. a contract "impossible to trade".

Of course there are a lot of variables at play that will prevent Butler from leaving Chicago (they can match offers, he might want to stay there, etc.) but those are going to be easier to overcome than to try and trade for a YOUNG franchise player that had a freak injury as opposed to someone like Derrick Rose who's always injured.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This.

It's important to have both two-way players on our team and two-way thinkers on our forum.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm confused at your criticism considering:

1. Butler has and can guard the 1, 2, and 3 position.
    2. Thibs has also had Butler play a smallball 4 this year as well.
    3. If Butler can't guard them, there's also a guy on the team by the name of Trevor Ariza.

"Moving" Harden to the point doesn't take away the fact that whoever our best defender is will always be on his man. Was it Harden or Ariza that spent most of the night on Kobe? Was it Harden or Ariza that spent most of the night chasing Monta Ellis?

Bringing in a player like Butler, who is a two-way player btw, should help Harden on both ends of the court.

So if you're blasting me for not being a "two-way" thinker I'd like for you think again.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

3 to 5 years from now , we might be asking if we can sign: Cannan, of PB because they had fabulous stat on others teams....the trend of chasing lost treasure seems to be a trend.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Same argument on the other side who would each of these guys guard?

Westbrook may be able to slow down Harden a bit, but the rest would get beat just off of size difference.

I think Ariza or Butler could play any of these guys at least decently.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

No way in hell does Chicago allow the Rockets to rip a player from their roster again, I would think they will match whatever no questions asked.

11. basketballholic

The last thing guys like CP3, Rose, and Westbrook want to see is a 6'7" athletic defender with long arms chasing them all over the court.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Butler will be able to hold those quick, crafty guards. He's that good of a defender. Just think about the times Lebron would have to guard Parker, Rondo and Rose. Buckets would be able to do it, but that means we would have to make Harden a point guard. Which is pretty much what he does already right now, but I dunno. Doesn't seem right.

13. kemah

kemah Member

We need an elite big 4 or we no go deep in the playoffs. We have limited resources to attract that 1 missing piece so why we so hot after that PG when we already have maybe the best ball handler in the world in Harden?

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Rose and CP3 are not the same build as Westbrook who is much longer and can play bigger.

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

How many players did recover from a freak injury? Especially one as serious as George. Not many I believe.

But then, I'm doubtful we can get any of them. So i'm not going to continue.

And, putting Butler alongside Harden, reminds me of Harper joining the bulls.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dragic is a pick and roll point guard. He needs the ball too much.
    He'll be pissed if we tell him to just stand around and be relegated to just a catch and shoot player like Lin.

That being said, Harden played pretty well on Team USA next to Curry/Rose.

#96 RedRedemption, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  17. Jakey

Jakey Member