1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The perfect backcourt sidekick for James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

No he can't, his upsurge last year was on the back of Bledsoe's injuries, and this year with Thomas as well, he's been a complete flop trying to do it.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

Lowry

3. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Jeff Teague

4. basketballholic

I'm in total agreement with you OP. Been watching every game Butler's played this year. Would love to have him on the wing next to Harden. He would be a Pippen-like presence to Harden's Jordan. Would give us all sorts of flexibility at the 1 and give us a big time opportunity to get either a big time 1 or a big time 4 this summer. Would trade anybody not named Harden/Howard for him.

However........................can't see it happening. Right now....Butler is Chicago's BEST player...not second best but BEST player. There is simply no way they give him up in trade with Rose being so on and off and in and out of the lineup. Even though it's going to cost them a maximum contract this summer.

Like I said....I'd give up anything we got not named Harden and Howard for him. But it's simply not going to happen.

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, Jimmy Butler. I like the idea

6. downbytheriver

Jimmy butler is more important to the bulls than Rose.

He's out playing Noah in terms of their MVP this season.

He's not going anywhere, he's essentially at a Paul George level already and improving each month.

7. Remii

Remii Member

I was talking about trading Parsons for Jimmy Butler last year... Chicago would be crazy to let him go at this point.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Absolutely correct. Butler is not going anywhere, no matter how many GMs get a **** on for him.

10. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

While beverly is amazing , he is an elite role player , similar to tony allen. But he is too injury prone. His style is prob best fit for the leader of your bench ,6th-7th man . playing 20-25 min. Harden and kyle lowry would be a mouth watering combo. Mike Conley would be dope too. dragic ,bledsoe good choices too. the key is somone who is 3 & D, not ball dominant, can score and create when needed.

11. kemah

kemah Member

If healthy Bev is the best role playing PG next to Harden. The best fit would be Westbrook.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Soarin Goran.

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm a big fan of Jimmy Butler. If we had him, Ariza and Beverley, with Howard roaming around the paint..... man, that wouldn't just be a good defense. That could potentially be a historically great, record setting defense. I'm not trying to exaggerate too much. But those are 4 incredibly talented defenders that we could run at opposing offenses all night long.

Think about it. Put Ariza on their best wing player. When Ariza goes to the bench, then have Butler guard him. All the while, if they pass out, you will have Bev to hound the player from there. It would be ridiculous!

It would be like the year we had both Artest and Battier....except now those defenders would all be in their primes!

However, I really don't see the way he would fit with our team offensively. He has been making improvements offensively just about every year, and this year looks like he has made huge strides. But where would he fit? Harden at the point, Butler at the 2 and Ariza at 3? It's an idea, but I'm struggling to see that work over the course of an entire season. Both Butler and Ariza are too good to bring off the bench, and Ariza is too small to play 4 and have Butler at 3.

Maybe it could work. Morey has tried to make signings before that didn't seem like they would fit to me (Carmelo...)

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

Haha...this was supposed to say sub out. I hope none of our players pass out!

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

Ah. I tried to fix a mistake. And I think my mistake fixing the mistake was more of a mistake than the first mistake.

I'm done.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

Right, because Lowry would love to come back here to play for Mchale. Even better, he gets to play with Harden, who makes PG role redundant. I don't think Lowry is that stupid...

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you go with a big guy like Butler playing beside Harden, you really better make sure you have a quality 3rd guy can play a more traditional point guard role that you can give serious minutes . I love Harden's improved defense and all, but the idea of Harden having to d-up on someone like Chris Paul is enough to make me dyspeptic.

In fact, Butler/Harden with a big investment in Butler would worry me, as you'd be opening yourself to letting other teams dictating your lineup to you, forcing you to put a key player on the bench through substitutions and the threat of the resultant fouls.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just to make sure... we're not talking about Lin right?

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

goran would be awesome. i also think rondo would fit well with this team, but his salary tho... lowry too.

beverly works well and as long as he's shooting well he's a great fit.