1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The perfect backcourt sidekick for James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yeah, he probably is. But idle minds ...

But anyway Bev works just fine for me. Sandwich Harden in between two incredible plus defenders. Make his life easy. It also helps immensely if those two defenders can spot up shoot. Bring back Dwight and the low post option becomes viable. Bring back Jones and the offense is clicking on all cylinders. Hopefully we will see that soon.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ariza

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol so first you're saying that it's too much responsibility for one player to bear and when I showed you successful examples of players doing the work you're downplaying the possibility of Harden being an elite player? If you want lesser examples:

Stephen Curry
    Gilbert Arenas
    Tracy McGrady
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Grant Hill

these players above have led their teams in scoring and in assists at least once in their careers.

If the day ever comes when you can't ask your franchise player to wear multiple hats and do more than one thing please let me know because that will be the day I stop following the game of basketball.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What's the difference on offense between a PG and a SG who dominates the ball and creates the offense? Pretty much none.

What is the difference between a guy like Steve Francis and a player like Harden? Both of them are primary scorers for their teams. The difference is, Harden is a much better play maker. Yet, Francis was listed as PG and Harden as SG.

It doesn't matter what you call them. What matters is what they do on the court, and how they mesh with what their teammates do. A player is not out of position if what he does is what he does best.

5. steddinotayto

Actually I'm in agreement with you in getting a PF first but if we're going to talk about replacing Beverley and bringing in Rondo, Rubio, or Dragic I might as well throw a wrench into the usual train of thought and go outside of the box.
    After all, our GM is the one that first experimented with eliminating the mid range in the D-League and look at our team now. Thinking outside of the box once in a while can't hurt.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

how many of those guys have a championship?

7. steddinotayto

Exactly. Just like how Ariza has been chasing Monta Ellis, Kobe Bryant, etc. he can and should hold his own against the Parkers, Westbrooks of the world. If not? Throw Butler at them. If that doesn't work? That's where Patrick Beverley, your new 6th man, comes in.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Whoa down big guy. Unfortunately Butler, while he might be absolutely perfect, is out of Houston's grasp until the summer of 2016. But I do agree that Butler might just be the perfect guard to play with Harden. But I do have a question or two about their ability to hang with jitterbug guards like Westbrook.

9. steddinotayto

You dismissed the examples I made with Wade and Hakeem because you don't think Harden can be on that level so I gave you lesser examples and now you ask for players with championships? :rolleyes:

There's a mailing list I'd like to recommend you subscribing to as it has a lot of insider information regarding how we're going to be better once we end up with a "True" point guard like Ricky Rubio.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

because creating for others is not what harden does best its just a plus and a luxury that he's able to do it in SPURTS. scoring the ball is what harden does best.

11. steddinotayto

I never said he was easily attainable throughout this entire thread. I simply stated that he would be the perfect backcourt teammate for Harden.

12. bongman

bongman Member

I love thinking outside of the box but if you are not considering salaries, that is going way outside the box. If we first sign this PF, can we still afford to pay Butler that is going to be close to Beard's salary? Please note that a good one will cost us at least $8M/year.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's because harden at this point is not the players/leaders wade and hakeem were at that time. if you believe so then you're definitely not thinking clearly. btw im not even a fan of rubio at all. would never want him on this team

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And as I have stated, I certainly cannot disagree with you. Your reasoning is sound. Your analysis is spot on. You can release a PG with the ball into the paint if you have a great defense. And with Howard, Ariza and Butler they would have perhaps a HOF defense.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So let him score the ball most of the time.

What does the PG do when he plays with Harden? He gives the ball to Harden after he crosses the half court and wait for Harden to create for himself or for others.

16. steddinotayto

I didn't say Harden is on their level at this point but to dismiss the possibility all together is believing that we don't have a potential future hall of famer on our hands. He's 25 and this is his 3rd year of being the first option and the first year where he's actually giving a damn on defense for most of the game. The results so far has him in a good spot as one of the best players right now.

17. steddinotayto

I understand how much a good power forward is going to cost this team. Again, I never said I wanted a Jimmy Butler before I want an Power Forward. I'm just seeing how a player like Butler could be beneficial not only for the Rockets but also for Harden.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

again that happens by default because beverly doesn't have that as a strength. reasoning to why i believe he's at his best if he was a 6th man on this team, playing hard for 15-20 minutes like he wants to.

19. bongman

bongman Member

Point taken.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

T-Jones is a more than adequate 5th option (once he gets healthy) if we had a guy like Butler on the team. The only problem we'd have would be bench depth.