1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Pelosi-Trump State of the Union Address Chess Match

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 16, 2019.

1. RESINator

RESINator Member

Lol Mr. Tiny hands has conceded the sotu until the shutdown is over.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually, much like the phrase "Prime the pump" - did you know Trump invented the name Nancy?

ECONOMIST: Nancy?
    TRUMP: Yeah, have you heard it?
    ECONOMIST: Yes.
    TRUMP: Have you heard that name used before? Because I haven't heard it. I mean, I just...I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It's what you have to do.

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he gladly shutdown the government and proudly took the mantle!

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

No Worries likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

The underlying issue here is that Trump finally found someone willing to treat him like he treats others, and he really has no idea what to do about it.

mtbrays, mdrowe00, Anticope and 3 others like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah this is interesting because whether they are MAGA hat wearing or closet Trump voters who we see all the time here that didn’t vote for him apparently (but we all know they did), it’s probably pretty close to the total number that voted for him in 2016.

Which is why Dems have to assume they could all come home in 2020 like they did in 2016 and vote out of hatred of Democrats if this isn’t the right candidate like Obama was and Hillary wasn’t (change candidate who appealed to some Trump working class white voters in the mid west).

So when I hear “Core base” I do feel like that’s about 35% of the electorate who watch FoxNews or get their news from shared right wing Facebook memes. But there is about 45% of the electorate that’ll vote for him every time if you let them. They really despise Liberals and will look for any excuse they can if you give it to them. Maybe in the end they all should be considered his base if you are being objective about it.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I'm kind of leaning in this direction as well. I think there are Trump "supporters" who don't necessarily like Trump himself per se but like the fact that he's a "hate-the-government" and "throw-a-wrench-into-the-status-quo" kind of guy. I think the government shutdown appeals to some of these folks, even if they dislike Trump and think he's a pig. I saw yesterday a reference to a recent poll claiming 80+% of Republicans support the shutdown.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Which is why this is all about not giving Trump a win, and not really about the wall at all.

11. vlaurelio

For the wall, I will gladly shutdown the government and take that mantle.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... fox news either admits trump got played, or is trying to goad him into some other crazy but futile response...

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s hope it’s the latter for the sheer theater of it

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, for Trump its about the wall. For Nancy, it's about not giving it to him. It didn't really matter what it was he was for...it still would have been about not giving it to him.

#274 BigDog63, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  15. Major

Major Member

Would you rather deny him a wall that won't be built even if it's funded, or get a policy-win on something that Democrats actually want?

#275 Major, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  16. vlaurelio

no its about not giving in to hostage takers

open the government and then come to the table

that's what 70% of what the country wants

TheFreak likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Americans increasingly don't want trump's "wall". And also increasingly, are blaming trump and republicans for trump's government shutdown. A shutdown that is hurting Americans (including our armed forces). And as the shutdown continues, more Americans will be increasingly hurt and eventually the entire economy will be hurt.

At some point, republicans will have to abandon trump's vanity wall. Heck, maybe trump will abandon his wall. trump needs to end the shutdown now, with a commitment from republicans and Democrats to solve the immigration/border issue. He wins by getting ending his shutdown, helping those Americans hurt by the shutdown, and he can hope American opinion towards his wall will improve. He then has to get Americans to understand why the wall is important. Right now, the wall is only hurting Americans by causing the government shutdown.

18. NewRoxFan

Latest fox poll...

19. NewRoxFan

Same fox poll...

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I can catch the Democratic rhetoric on this from anywhere...no need to repeat it here.