1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Parsons "Mistake"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 17, 2014.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I doubt it. Carlisle is too good a coach and the Mavs have somehow managed to improve their team (Unless, of course, you look at them defensively). Now, should they be considered serious contenders in the West? No, but then after what just happened, I can no longer say the same thing about the Rockets either.

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

There was also that Philly game where Lin hit a bunch of 3's (9 I think) and our last play consisted of a Parsons ISO. I don't think he even managed to get a shot off.

Carlisle's a good coach, but even he can't turn Parsons into that guy.

3. Nero

Nero Member

I just think people need to acknowledge the difference between 'the market' and a couple of morons WAYY overspending, far ABOVE 'the market'.

Bosh - the question I have is this: had Riley NOT gone totally insane and offered Bosh 5 years at almost 24mil per year, where do you think Bosh would be playing next season? Houston. NOBODY expected Riley to do that, and EVERYONE expected Bosh to sign with the Rockets after LBJ went to Cleveland.

Morey's plan on Bosh was entirely rational and reasonable. To hold Morey responsible, and to call this plan a failure because of entirely IRRATIONAL behavior on the part of Riley is just plain dumb. Including expectations that other teams and GMs are going to engage in self-destructive and irrational behavior into your plans is just not something people DO. You expect the other entities out there the behave rationally and in their own best interests - and throwing all that money at Bosh was NOT in the Heat's best interests. Riley will likely be long gone by the time some successor GM has to deal with Bosh's contract.

And regarding Parsons - the plan was never to let Parsons leave. But while Riley and Jordan and Cuban were all willing to commit almost certain salary-cap hari-kari this offseason, Morey never is. And Alexander was willing to eat the luxury tax that would happen by matching ANY offer Parsons got - including that stupid max offer - as long as we had Bosh.

I mean seriously people, grow up. If Riley doesn't go full-on idiot, we have both Bosh AND Parsons right now, and everyone - EVERYONE - is talking about how we are the team to beat this season, how great a job Morey did, etc etc.

In other words - Morey could be heralded as a GENIUS for doing EXACTLY WHAT HE DID, and the only difference be what some idiot on some other team did or didn't do.

But once Riley pulled his stunt, overpaying for Parsons just was not a viable alternative, and now he is Cuban's problem.

Funny thing is, to be totally honest about it, I suspect in a couple years we will be breathing a sigh of relief that these deals DIDN'T happen, much like the 'basketball reasons' deal which seemed like such a screw-job at the time, but which in hindsight was much better for us than if the deal had actually gone through.

Bosh in 3 or 4 years at 22mil? People would probably be screaming about how Morey killed us with that deal for a broken-down old skinny dude with no heart.

Parsons at 15mil? Three years from now we would be talking about how much we anticipated the NEXT year, when that stupid salary would be coming off the books, much like Lin's contract was often mentioned this past season.

And one last word about Bosh: There is ONE player in the entire NBA right now who knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that his team will under no circumstances win an NBA title in the next 5 years, and that is Chris Bosh. And he is perfectly fine with that. In fact I'm sure he is as thrilled as he could be to be getting PAID, and the winning, well, whatever bruh.

He showed once and for all that he doesn't care about winning at all. I for one am glad he is on someone else's team. (And don't bother talking about how much more $$ he got from Miami - if he was still worth that max $ in that fifth year, he would have got it here, and the only difference would have been less than 10 million TOTAL, and state taxes would have likely brought that difference down to very little).

1 person likes this.
  4. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11225362/nba-buzz-2014-las-vegas-summer-league

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

6. Nero

Nero Member

Lolz at anyone who believes Bosh is going to be a bargain at 24mil per year five years from now.

7. bmd

bmd Member

I thought the thread title was "The Parsons Milkshake"... and I thought of:

[​IMG]

8. bongman

bongman Member

If said executive has a magic crystal which allows him to know that Gordon or Parsons will be one of the premiere all stars, then I would agree. There were a lot of commentary about the beard being overpaid when we signed him but they were all silenced because of what he did in the court. There is still a very big ? for those 2.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Player salaries will skyrocket because of new TV deal. Even without it rookie min contracts will be hitting over 1M in few years.

10. MisterMister

MisterMister Member

Everybody's pointing fingers at everybody trying figure what went wrong.What went wrong was we all believed from Les,Morey,McHale,Howard and majority of CluthFans,Rocket fans, and most of the city of houston that Parsons really bled Rocket Red and wanted to be a Rocket for life.But we all drank the Parsons koolaid and he's the one who rushed and signed the offer sheet.Of course Morey wouldn't make that move without having his ducks in row.Chandler threw us all under the bus and no one blames him,when it was him the offended one who created this mess.All he had to say was he wanted to leave.Remember he convinced Howard to come for less than the max and I've said this over and over,the glue guy felt he deserved the max.Not Dirk, not Howard, only him cause he is a superstar, member.We all bought in,when he retires he knows his second career should be as a used car salesman. He's that good yo.

11. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

If you could sign CP for 1 year at less than $1 million, would you do it? Its safe to say most people would. Yet we had that situation in hand but chose door #2. For all the praise that Morey receives it doesn't seem like he can walk and chew gum at the same time. He was so focused on Bosh that he saw nothing else.

12. reliableman

reliableman Member

FYI: We could've kept Parsons on his rookie contract and sign Bosh. Hindsight...

13. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Great post. People always want to blame someone, but sometimes things just don't work out as planned. Until things went wrong, it didn't seem like there were a whole lot of people saying that making Parsons an RFA was a bad idea. Hindsight's 20/20. It seemed like a good move at the time. The fact that it went so wrong was just hard to take on top of the Bosh move going so wrong. Just an altogether awful offseason when we had come to expect a great one.

14. bongman

bongman Member

I don't doubt that. But there is thing called salary cap which "attempts" to limit how much each owner can spend on salaries. Hence, the decision to not match. Do we really think that Morey is not aware of all this incoming money?

15. TDRox

TDRox Member

Best post I've seen so far on this whole affair.

16. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I agree with the rest of this post, but I don't quite agree with this part. I don't think that it is that he thinks things will work out in his favor just because of the odds... I think he is willing to gamble based on the odds, and willing to lose the bet when things don't work out.

17. HardLin

HardLin Member

McHale used to call Lin a "home run hitter". It was not a compliment.
    What's ironic is that McHale is working for a "home run hitter" - Morey.

So just as Lin had his (rather large) ups and downs, Morey will too.

There's one point that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread.
    Other people have done a detailed cap room analysis and come to the conclusion that we barely had enough money (after declining Parsons' option) to make a full max offer to Melo/LeBron/Bosh.
    So could that have been an extra incentive to make Parsons an RFA? Because if we don't make him an RFA then we have to dump one of TJones/DMO.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Can we get over parsons already, the guy is a maverick now, move on, he is overpaid and Dallas ain't winning ****.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great post, Morey is definitely a home run hitter, he's always swinging for the fences. But sick of the angst over Parsons, I would have done same if I was Morey. Signing Parsons and cap strapping the Rockets in process would not have put the in title contention. Not signing was the right move, especially with all the booby traps Cuban & Fegan built into that contract.

I am excited by the obvious change in culture for this season. Morey is looking for hungry try hard defensive mined players. Complete 180 from the offense only just have fun attitude that permeated both the Rockets and Vipers locker room. Canaan, Daniels and Covington better learn to D up if they want any minutes.

I love it. Now to get Harden to buy into this new culture too.

20. errpac

errpac Member

My impression was we were pretty close in getting Bosh. He even said it in an interview. Bosh would had been a great fit. Miami had to give him a max 5 yrs to keep him, many people were sure if they would do that, even then.either way in my opinion , Morey tried, qas close but missed.