1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Parsons "Mistake"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 17, 2014.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

I'm not sure if he's the most overpaid, but it's certainly close.

Serious question: does anyone think Parsons could ever develop into a star? His growth between 12-13 and last year was pretty flat. He will probably become a more consistent 3pt shooter as he gets older, but that's about it. I never thought Parsons was about to burst out as a star, and I was insanely biased towards him.

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

The reason they took the Spurs to 7? The Spurs uncharacteristically turning it over. Tons of offensive rebounds from Dalembert and Blair, and a crazy shot from Vince Carter.

I don't think Mavs fans know how much they've lost.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I view Morey as a fund manager trading for the benefit of the ownership.

He does well on the small stuff and swings for the fences when an opportunity presents itself. He usually doesn't wind up with nothing left even on the big swings and the general trend is upward value but you may have to ride a dip or two.

As with any fund manager though, if you swing big and miss several times in a row your out.

Since the last at bat was a home run with Dwight, this is strike one for the next at bat, or maybe Ariza was a single?

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Calderon, Carter, Blair, and Dalembert all played great against the Spurs. Lights out shooting and tons of rebounds. They were all super efficient and stepped up their games in that series. They are certainly losing a lot more than they probably think.

5. jedicro

jedicro Member

Flip I had forgotten Calderon. Yeah that's not insignificant.

I for one am happy Blair is out of our division. That guy destroys us with his hustle.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't like the way that this offseason worked out.

But I still think that is was the right move for us.

This offseason, I am seeing more negative posts and thoughts about Morey than I ever have before, which is understandable. However, I think we are pretty lucky because even though this was Morey's "big mistake", we landed with a replacement player that is as good as Ariza. Yes, I think Parsons is the overall better player, but with Ariza's improved defense he should be a great fit for our team. Ariza was one of the key pieces to Washington's surprising season last year. In Houston, we will ask him to play defense and hit three's, two things that he is good at. It's not like we are left with a gaping hole at the SF position.

If we went an analogy, I would say that Morey swung for the fences, tried to hit the grand slam, but instead struck out. But after he struck out, the catched bobbled the pitch, and he was still able to get to first. (which is funny to think about because I can't picture Morey outrunning a throw to first...)

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You are 100% right on the mistake of the notion "that stars do want to win" theory. At the beginning, I knew that Bosh wants to stay in Miami. When I was in Miami for weeks, I thought that none wants to leave Miami if you have a job over there, and also Bosh does not need another ring to add his CV, why did he want to leave? I though that the rockets only had a chance for Lowry and Melo (if he wants to win), but Morey likely does not think Lowry is a 3rd star.

As for Lin trade, the rockets did it without getting any commitment from Bosh, that is so funny to me.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The same here. I was thinking the same thing, but just do not how to express clearly.

9. midgetballa624

I think Chandler can develop into being a borderline allstar simply because he now has a coach that will help him improve and grow his game.

McHale's philosophy was just run up-and-down and try to get quick, easy baskets. Come playoff time that didn't work out too well and our offense consisted on Harden iso and posting Dwight. That kind of play wouldn't have let Chandler mature as a player as much as it will under Carlisle's structure especially with Dirk in the fold.

10. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

It was a gamble.

But why wouldn't someone like Cuban pounce all over Chandler and offer him beaucoup dinero? Morey should have expected that.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Why do you think it's a guarantee he would walk? As an UFA, we couldn't match, but that doesn't mean he's guarantee to leave.

Rockets wanted to keep him - yeap. So, RFA is one route if the Rockets would indeed match any offer. Clearly that wasn't the case and so either they changed their mind or they didn't anticipate his value in the RFA market.

Also, don't the Rockets get to offer more than other teams when he becomes an UFA? If so, that's a money leverage they would have and unless he wanted to leave anyway, that's a good way to retain him. Thus, UFA is also one route especially if the Rockets knew they wouldn't match a max offer.

Then there is the asset ankle. By not making him a RFA, the Rockets have the flexibility of trading him (if for example, indication is he will walk; or even more importantly, a super star can be traded for with Parson as part of the deal). That flexibility was no longer guaranteed as soon the Rockets made him a RFA.

Of course, keeping him as a UFA means one more year of the best value player in the NBA.

When adding up the pro and cons, it seem that the RFA was a huge gamble. Maybe the calculation was in favor of RFA by Morey and the Rockets; but now we know the calculus was likely wrong.

I do remember many seems to think it's a good move to make him a RFA... I never really understood why and assumed I was missing something. I can see some arguments for it, but it did seem very risky and unfortunately, it became a mistake.

[maybe there was a promise to release Parson due to the Howard deal]

12. jedicro

jedicro Member

This is so silly to me. Was McHale not involved in Parsons development? He's a completely different player now than he was when he came up. How about Harden? There were major doubts about whether he could handle being a number 1 option when he came, and those were settled. Did he do that in spite of McHale? What about Dragic? He went from inconsistent role player to one of the best PG's in the league while under McHale. He has specifically credited McHale for his development.

The truth is players are what they are. The coach can have some effect, but this notion that McHale can hold a player back from being a star, or that Carlisle can sprinkle pixie dust on someone is ridiculous.

We had the 4th ranked offense in the league last year that was a perfect fit to pad Parsons stats.

But in the playoffs you're right...we struggled...to the tune of a ORTG of 115.6.

Care to know how many teams posted a ORTG higher than that in the playoffs? One. Miami. Not even San Antonio had a series with a higher ORTG than we did against the Blazers.

Scoring points was not a problem for us. Putrid perimeter defense was.

13. jedicro

jedicro Member

I don't think it's fair to assume he didn't know.

He was betting on the idea that he could a big FA to come here given that he had max capspace, and a core of Harden, Howard, Parsons, and Bev to sell to the FA.

I'm willing to bet Morey knew damn well that he was going to get a max offer. He just wanted the ability to match it if he was able to get his big fish.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm tired of hearing this...

Parsons handled it like a child by taking photos at the club with Cuban and bashing the Rockets who did him "a solid."

The Rockets didn't overpay and got a cheaper player with a better shot and better D, so they essentially upgraded the team at the three.

And by letting Cuban choke on the max contract, we hurt the Mav's cap space.

Rockets came out ahead. Anyone not looking at the bigger picture, is foolish.

Parsons won't live up to that contract... he's hit his ceiling. Also mind you he is a bad defender and cost us a series.

15. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

They thought the market would be better this than next. Also, we thought we could go over the tax, by lets say, him not signing any offer sheet "right away"
    They also couldn't treat him like the asset they wanted of they traded him.
    He appreciated so in any any any trade, with him under a mil. You lose.
    15 million???!

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Carlisle doesn't have structure in his offense, he's the godfather of the no plays offense, they've just been doing it longer.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They probably assumed since this market had Deng, Ariza, Hayward and Stephenson (on top of Bron and Melo), all players who are realistically within 2m of each other in value, it probably would have been a bit contained

the 2015 wing market of anyone who doesn't completely suck? Rudy Gay and RFA Klay Thompson

#97 Aleron, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  18. jedicro

jedicro Member

What cracks me up is Mavs fans on reddit keep using the logic that with Dirk taking a paycut, they are only paying the 2 of them 25M total. Sure, that doesn't sound too bad, except that they could have signed someone else (say, Ariza for 8M) and still had 7M more to either resign some of their FA's who left or to go after someone else. A bad contract is a bad contract no matter how you frame it.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

and this:

[​IMG]

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

Look how tightly Bev was on his man.....dammit